1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For a bit over a year I have carried smallish pistols at a 4:30ish position in an IWB holster. Being that I sit a lot for my job, that method kept it reasonably well concealed. However, a few months ago I was hospitalized for a intestinal condition that still causes considerable difficulty. As a result, sitting down with the firearm IWB causes trouble. Looser pants/belt don't really help the matter much. I'm going to try a superior quality IWB (VM2), but I think the same problem will still happen - because of the injuries to my intestine, pressure there from sitting down while wearing my firearm causes discomfort and often bad pain. This resulted in me needing to unequip my pistol during the day. My desk has Steelcase locking file cabinets in it - so I usually slip the holster off with the gun in it and lock it in the drawer. I don't like doing this and I realize the problems here, but - I don't want to go without carry ALL day EVERY day just because I need to remove during the day. And of course the pistol is never off my person in an unlocked drawer.

So I purchased a shoulder holster the other day, and I really like it. It makes my waistline/belt/intestine area far more comfortable than IWB, obviously. Of course it presents problems of its own. It is difficult to keep a coat on all day to conceal the shoulder rig.

Solution? Well - I go into the restroom, remove the holster with the gun in it, wrap it in my coat so that it is hidden when I walk back to my desk, and lock my coat+holster+gun in my drawer. At the end of the day, I simply reverse the procedure.

I feel like there is something WRONG with this. I can't see another solution though. My FAVORITE thing about the shoulder rig is that it allows me to EASILY carry a full size 1911 (though I'm currently carrying my Champion). It is absolutely wonderful for having to go out in the middle of the night or in cold weather where I won't be taking my coat off - and this way I'm able to carry a pistol that I enjoy practicing with (rather than the grudging practice with my little PM9).

This may be one of those situations where I guess I have to do something that isn't "the right way" so that I can still carry a gun and have it not cause me pain. Even with a higher quality IWB for a larger gun (Champion, etc) will still cause the tight waistline problem.

Does anyone else have a similar situation?

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Just a thought

I have a problem with Dunlop's Disease coupled with the condition called NoAssaTol. This pretty much makes a tight belt ineffective.

Thus I have gone to wearing a good gun belt and suspenders, with either a IWB or OWB depending on the circumstances..

This spreads the weight of a gun over a larger weight bearing area and somewhat alleviates the need for the tight belt.

You might give it a try.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
For the uninitiated, that's Dunlaps Disease, as in "my belly dun laps over my belt".

Belt plus suspenders works well in that setting.
Perry suspenders (http://store.yahoo.com/perrysuspenders/index.html), which attach to the belt itself and come in various patterns and colors (as if it mattered!) may be the best CCW setup for belt-carrying a heavy pistol like a full size 1911, when pressure around your abdomen is uncomfortable. Of course, a cover garment is a necessity.

If even this mode of carry isn't comfortable, then a good shoulder rig is the next best option. Again, careful cover garment choice is mandatory.
No reason to remove the rig and hide it away while at work, though; you need a solution that leaves you with access to the gun at all times, or at the very least to have an alternative pistol like a pocket J-frame always accessible.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Re Perry's Suspenders.. I have tried them and find they work well with lighter and smaller guns. They have two belt attachments in the front and in the center of the back in the rear, however I carry either a Gummint model or CCO model and find that suspenders with 4 attachments tend to support heavier guns a little better.

Granted, the construction type with the clips are are more bulky, but if you have a thick enough gunbelt the clips fall in above and flush with the belt and don't cause undue discomfort when leaning against a chair or car seat.

The Perry's are more comfotable to wear but give a little less "lift" with a heavy gun, it just depends on what you want and need.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
SAWBONES said:
No reason to remove the rig and hide it away while at work, though; you need a solution that leaves you with access to the gun at all times, or at the very least to have an alternative pistol like a pocket J-frame always accessible.
Yeah - I wish actually that it didn't matter about the gun at work. I work with a bunch of commie sumabitches though...

Suspenders, of course - don't quite work in an office environment. It would be nice if I could have a gun at hand at all times, but the main reason I carry is the walk to work and the walk back to work. I'm guessing that the gun isn't in any danger of being stolen while locked in my desk - since I am AT the desk.

As far as the jokes about the 'dunlop disease' jokes - yes, funny indeed. However, I was hospitalized with a legit condition. I don't want to go into too much detail - but I was checked into the hospital with internal intestinal bleeding and at that point I had a fever of 102F. I was scared, not to mention the pain was the worst I've ever experienced in my life. I've never felt anything better than the two largish syringes of Morphine they gave me that night. So - this problem is really no joke for me.

I thought of getting some sort of vest - Carhartt makes them. Dress is typically "business casual" in the office, but things like jeans and a nice shirt are acceptable. Most likely a vest like that could work if iy could conceal my Galco shoulder rig with my full size 1911 in it. I am not sure that it could, however... I have a real problem with heat, so wearing a jacket of some sort is difficult.

Barring that, I will be ordering a Milt Sparks Versa-Max II and trying to carry the Champion IWB with that. I need to wait for finances to calm down a bit though. Too much gun and ammo buyin' lately :D

thanks for your help, guys!

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
"Dressy" vests work fine in an office environment, and contrary to the types of vests which folks on gun-related BBs seem to post about (fleece vests, hiking vests, photog vests), there are lots of types available that are actually meant for casual or semi-dress wear, but will work quite well for CCW, whether your pistol is in a shoulder rig or carried on the belt. They need not be removed at all, and can be worn all day long.
A little careful attention to size choice and fitting is necessary, but is readily done.

And if you chose to make use of suspenders to support a gun carried on the belt, such would of course be worn beneath the vest or coat, so would not be seen, either.

If OTOH you feel that you must dress in shirt and slacks without any sort of cover garment, you're pretty much confined to pocket carry or "off-body" carry.
The latter approach to CCW is a different subject altogether, but if your only real concern is about the walk to and from the office, there are some ways to accomplish this which are both accessible and discreet.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Xori Ruscuv

As always, even with the VMII a good quality dedicated gun belt will make all the difference in the world in carrying a gun on your waist.
If you don't have one, get one.

Good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ever Consider a Paddle?

Mabey a paddle holster is what you need. Slip on the holster and pistol and put on your coat on to conceal it. When you get to work just slip off the holster and put it in your desk drawer (discreetly, of course). Then when you get ready to go back out, slip you holster back on put on your coat and haul A. BTW, several mfgs. make holsters that fit onto your belt the snap off also that are pretty slick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts