1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Steyr pistol in .40. I'm pretty new to IPSC. I'm an accurate shooter, but still climbing up the ladder in fast handling, and there are good shooters at the local IPSC match. I won't win...but which class is best for a production gun in .40 shooting Major PF loads: L10 or Production?

Seems to me it's an issue of recovery time (vs. the 9mm) or less gun (vs. heavy, slick 1911s).

Any input?

TY,

Ben

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,282 Posts
If you are shooting major, L10 probably makes more sense. I'd say it really depends on the amount of local competition. I've been shooting Limited with my L10 gear, as there's a lot more competition in the former.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Your choices

Obviously none of us know you. So take all replies with a grain of salt.

Production is usually a 9mm game. Minor PF only, and that game is played at the edge of the A zone. Accuracy when shooting minor is much more important than when shooting major.

L-10, well you can be playing with big boys. You can have full blown limited guns and rigs just downloaded (whether by law or choice) and you can run major. That game is more speed than production, and the learning curve can be steep.

Whatever you choose, take a class early in your uspsa career, it could probably be the best money you spend.

·
Registered
186 Posts
For me, the differences between production and L-10 are holster type and placement. Do you want to run a speed holster in front of the hip with magazines anywhere you want them? Or are you okay with being limited to the type and placement of your equipment? I shoot both and have fun either way, but I just love the race holsters and mags right up front, so I gravitate more to L-10 and Limited. Here's a thought. Since you are shooting just because it's fun at this point, why not load those mags all the way up and shoot Limited? The only high cap pistol I have is a G17, which gets shot in Production, but sometimes I've got to scratch the itch and load it all the way up and shoot Limited minor. The right mag extension gets me 24 in the mag:rock:. Then again, I love L-10 with a single stack 1911 in part due to having to reload constantly. See, I can't even make up my own mind most of the time. Okay, last idea. Shoot L-10 and become friends with someone shooting a .40 race pistol. I'm betting there's a Dillon at home already set up to load .40, that they would probably be okay with you loading up some minor loads for production. Either way, shoot safe and have fun.

·
Registered
404 Posts
If you are shooting Major power factor, then L-10 is what I'd suggest.

You can afford a few non-Alpha hits at Major pf. And, the Alpha-Bravo-Charlie area of the target gives you a lot more surface area to shoot.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
.. I'm pretty new to IPSC. I'm an accurate shooter, but still climbing up the ladder ...but which class is best for a production gun in .40 shooting Major PF loads: L10 or Production?
I'll throw something in to chew on. Master shooter, that I've known for a while and squadded with this weekend shoots a glock 40. cal. Shoots with a blade tech holster, no magwell, and basically production legal equipment. He shoots L-10, production, and limited with the same gun. Not sure what extensions he uses for Limited mags, but it's not the point.

He can reload for one caliber, have minimal equipment, and shoot in 3 divisions. I don't think race equipment would speed him up more than a nanosecond.

Shoot what you have in all the legal divisions until you figure out where you want to end up. No rules say you can't shoot your major loads in production or 10 round mags in limited. Climbing the ladder and pulling your hair out, is the fun part.
I for now, have decided to stick to one ladder.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
The Steyr is best suited for Production Class. The 1911 and clones dominate this sport for good reason. I would shoot Production and load for the 120 PF. This is where you would be most competitive.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for replies.

I mostly do IDPA with a 1911 or the Steyr. I'm attending another IPSC match this Saturday, taking my Steyr, and that is why I'm asking L10 vs Production. I have major PF .40 ammo right now, nothing else in .40.

A downloaded .40 in Production class sounds like a good idea. It gives a slightly larger diameter for close shots, and I expect similar recoil/flip to a 9mm.

Since I have major PF ammo, I think I'll go L10 for this match.

Ben

1 - 8 of 8 Posts