1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that the new USPSA revolver rules are counter productive. If a new shooter shows up at a match with a 6 shot revolver and goes after the 8 shot target arrays they will only find frustration at the end of the barrel. Then when they get the match report and find that they finished dead last they will really sour on USPSA and likely never return to another match.

If the new shooter shows up at a match with a pistol I think that they will have much more fun. I view revolver class as more a connesieur's division. Most revolver shooters I know are not beginners but veteran shooters who are looking for a new and different challenge.

·
Registered
610 Posts
banjobart,
While I tend to agree with most of what you are saying, I think that most new shooters are going to be dismayed by their times regardless of what they are shooting. Wheelgunners are a dying breed nowaday, as most folks like the slick 'raceguns' or what I call "TV Guns", Glocks, Sigs, etc.
That being said, most all of the tactcal shooting leagues place revolver shooters at a technological disadvantage. If they have one, and are having fun with it, (not to mention being safe), I say, more power to them.

Respectfully,
Steve

------------------
"Not having thought what should have been thought, not having said what should have been said, not doing what should have been done, I beg thee forgive me, O Father." paraphrase from the 13th Warrior

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well, i just did my first shoot with my 610 4"

very little trigger work, and a LOT of light primer strikes , i STILL didn't come in last.and a lot of 8 shot target array's.

besides, revolvers shoot in a seperate class. or are supposed to atleast.

------------------
Any gun will do if You will do.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, screw your mainspring strain screw back in all the way or else load with Federal primers.

I love my new 4" 610, too.

Thank you very much for helping to support revolver shooting.

Try an ICORE if you ever have a chance, it's Heaven on Earth for revolver lovers.

[This message has been edited by banjobart (edited 06-10-2001).]

·
Registered
610 Posts
banjobart,
Do you have a link for ICORE?

Steve

------------------
"Not having thought what should have been thought, not having said what should have been said, not doing what should have been done, I beg thee forgive me, O Father." paraphrase from the 13th Warrior

·
Registered
111 Posts
USPSA revolvers shoot against revolvers, or should, according to the rules. If I'm the only Revolver at a match, I generally shoot Limited so as not to be a class of one. Not whining--my choice. Besides, it's fun to pick on the autoloaders that I *can* beat.

The only thing worse than coming out to your first match and having to shoot those 8-round arrays with a six-shot revolver is getting beat by an eight-shot revolver that is no longer legal to purchase in your state!

Six shots fired levels the field in revolver class, which is supposed to be an entry-level class with a level playing field, not one defined by how much you can spend on equipment. No equipment race, lots of reloads. Such is life. Broken firing pin excepted, I haven't been last at a USPSA match in over a year--and that's with only six shots.

Shoot what you like, like what you shoot. I choose to shoot revolver because it's always fun for me--and if you're not having fun, you should find another game.

Good course design can help a lot. Eight shot arrays from boxes isn't much fun with a six shooter, true. Field courses, though, can be a hoot to solve. Using extras from an early reload required by an eight shot array to reduce later arrays to six shots can cut LOTS of reloads out of the COF. You've definitely gotta have your head in the game to succeed with a revolver.

The game is what we make it. The field is level under the current rule.

Eight-shot revolvers can still compete in revolver class if they only shoot six, and are legal and can be competitive in production, limited, limited 10, and (less competitive but technically legal) open divisions.

Reducing tests of skill to an equipment race sucks, unless you can afford to win in that race, and then it still sucks if you have any honor at all. Limited-10 and Revolver divisions have been developed to avoid that issue, and that is as it should be. I think Open and Limited divisions have great value as a place for the equipment racers to go, since everybody should be able to play. With the current 8-round arrays, six-shot revolvers are at a distinct disadvantage, but at least under the current rules, we are ALL under the same disadvantage.

*ASBESTOS ON*

Steve

------------------
"Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws." --- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

[This message has been edited by Alleycat (edited 06-11-2001).]

·
Registered
610 Posts
Don't look for any flames from me. I shoot a S&W Model 10, .38 Special in IDPA, and have a blast doing it. It's even more fun beating guys with high dollar 1911's.

Steve

------------------

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Why don't they have "open" and "limited" classes for revolvers? In "open", you could have 8 shot revolvers, red dot sights, compensators, whatever, and in "limited" you could have 6 shot revolvers.

Seems like this would do more to encourage revolver shooters because you could have more variety in the equipment.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Open and Limited in Revolver, when there are five guys showing up now?

I think I might try this trick I just heard of when I next run our clubs handgun match. On each target array that requires more than six shots, put a diagonal stripe down enough targets to leave a six-shot array. The revolver shooters don't engage the "diagonals" but everyone else does.

Yes, a litttle less shooting for the revolver shooters, but they don't have standing reloads to deal with.

Since they shoot in a different scoring category anyway, what's the problem? (Computational, but I'm working on those.)

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think the way to solve the computational problem (whatever scoring program you use would either score the missing target as "missed" or spit out that shooter for having an incomplete score) is to simply assign each "diagonal" a couple of hits.
Each revolver shooters would get those hits, even though they hadn't shot them, so the software wouldn't lose its mind. Each one would get the same hits, obviously.

Now, if I could just balance the budget, I'd be on my way to that Nobel Prize.....

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Originally posted by banjobart:
If the new shooter shows up at a match with a pistol I think that they will have much more fun. I view revolver class as more a connesieur's division. Most revolver shooters I know are not beginners but veteran shooters who are looking for a new and different challenge.
I only have an H&K USP right now. I'm way behind the 1911 shooters, but would like to do both 1911 and some day, revolver. I'm stil shopping for a good out-of-the-box 1911. I don't like making too many changes, just my taste. I'd love to shoot a S&W 686 after we can get this in this stupid state (CA) again.

BTW Banjobart, I'm also a picker. I pick a Deering Calico. Sweet machine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts