1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to starting USPSA in Single Stack. Would you go to a 40 S&W 1911 or shoot major power factor loads through a 9MM? If go with 40 & do not have a lot of cash, which pistols? TIA!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Looking to starting USPSA in Single Stack. Would you go to a 40 S&W 1911 or shoot major power factor loads through a 9MM? If go with 40 & do not have a lot of cash, which pistols? TIA!

9mm is only allowed in major for open division. 40 would be the only caliber that you could shoot minor with 10rd mags or major with 8rd mags.

·
Banned
7,779 Posts
9mm is only allowed in major for open division. 40 would be the only caliber that you could shoot minor with 10rd mags or major with 8rd mags.
This is true.

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
Shooting USPSA and the Single Stack gun division

It may depend on the local area where you live, but in the state of FL, USPSA shooters are more predominant in the Open and Limited gun divisions.....there just aren't that many Single Stack or Limited 10 shooters in my area.....

The most predominant type of gun used in Open and Limited is a double stack gun, and STI and SV guns are quite popular.

I think it would be a better option to get a Limited gun, and if you can not afford an STI/SV, you may want to consider a Rock Island HC Ultra .40.....

http://armscor.com/firearms/ria/pro-series/pro-match-ultra-hc-40sw/

Mags are about half the retai price of STI 2011 mags, and the gun should be good to go right out of the box.....the retail should be less than $1,000 at most local gun shops.

If you have more money to spend, the CZ guns and/or a used STI Edge might be a good option.....

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Also 40 brass is alot cheaper than 45....so if you're thinking you want to get into USPSA more than a couple times a year it'll pay in the long run to go 40.

Also "if" you get the Match Bug bad and want to pick up a Limited Gun...you're already loading 40.

I have a STI SS in 40.

These are kinda hard to find but occasionally a used Trojan pops up on Brian Enos.

And 40 Single Stacks aren't finicky like the 9mm version and you get Major scoring.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Not sure what the op's experience level is, but you'll learn more and faster by shooting SS minor. You'll probably also do better in most matches that aren't specifically designed to punish minor.

If you're determined to shoot major, and you don't already have a bunch of 45 stuff, 40 makes more sense.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,686 Posts
Get a solid 40 single stack and shoot it.

I shot Single Stack for a couple seasons and had fun.

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Have you shot USPSA competition at all or is this completely new to you?

Do you have any kind of Full size semi auto handgun now?

Whats your budget?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
.40 brass is cheaper than .45? I had no idea.

Yeah it is in the Pacific NW.

General public doesnt use it much so our local brass guy gets it with all the rest of the range brass and sells it to the USPSA guys for pretty good deal.

I think most of it is LEO practice brass.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
If you want to tinker with the gun (mag catch) and mags... get a 40sw.

If you don't... get a 45acp.

Advantages of 40sw (in my opinion are) same caliber as your limited gun (if you shoot limited), cheaper brass to reload, faster recoil that 45acp, the magazines are more reinforced on the lips so they don't spread stick as much as 45acp, most 40sw/10mm mags are 9rd so you don't need to barney up, and seating 8rds in a 9-10rd mag is easier than seating 8rds in an 8rd mag.

If you like those advantages and don't mind having to play with mag feed lips, followers, or mag catches... get a 40sw. I've had four 1911s in 40sw, they all ran 100% after I tweaked minor things... never seen this issue in 45acp.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
I'm shooting SS minor with a 9mm Range Officer. Lots of fun.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It may depend on the local area where you live, but in the state of FL, USPSA shooters are more predominant in the Open and Limited gun divisions.....there just aren't that many Single Stack or Limited 10 shooters in my area.....

The most predominant type of gun used in Open and Limited is a double stack gun, and STI and SV guns are quite popular.

I think it would be a better option to get a Limited gun, and if you can not afford an STI/SV, you may want to consider a Rock Island HC Ultra .40.....

Mags are about half the retai price of STI 2011 mags, and the gun should be good to go right out of the box.....the retail should be less than $1,000 at most local gun shops.

If you have more money to spend, the CZ guns and/or a used STI Edge might be a good option.....
RIA's 40 Rock Ultra has a bull barrel & not legal for USPSA SS.

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
I think you misread my post....

I didn't say the Rock Island .40 high cap should be used for the single stack gun division of USPSA, I said it might be better to own a Limited Division gun, since the area where I live has very few shooters that participate in the USPSA single stack or the Limited 10 gun divisions. I suggested the high capacity Rock Island .40 for the USPSA Limited division, and yes, I know it has a bull barrel......

Other parts of the country may have a lot more USPSA shooters using a single stack gun in that division, but the majority of shooters in my area shoot in the Limited or Open divisions.......:rock:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't mean to hijack the OP's thread but I came here for the same question. I'd like to shoot major with a 1911 and wondering what I can get away with. I'm thinking about either a Sig Tacops in .45 or 10mm or a Springfield TRP in same calibers.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts

Also 40 brass is alot cheaper than 45....so if you're thinking you want to get into USPSA more than a couple times a year it'll pay in the long run to go 40.

Also "if" you get the Match Bug bad and want to pick up a Limited Gun...you're already loading 40.

I have a STI SS in 40.

These are kinda hard to find but occasionally a used Trojan pops up on Brian Enos.

And 40 Single Stacks aren't finicky like the 9mm version and you get Major scoring.
Not sure what the op's experience level is, but you'll learn more and faster by shooting SS minor. You'll probably also do better in most matches that aren't specifically designed to punish minor.

If you're determined to shoot major, and you don't already have a bunch of 45 stuff, 40 makes more sense.
Get a solid 40 single stack and shoot it.

I shot Single Stack for a couple seasons and had fun.
x4 +1

If you already have a 45 shoot that in SS. If you don't, then for USPSA seriously consider 40 to shoot SS and/or a doublestack 40 for Limited.
Trojan 40 is a perfect suggestion for SS and is my top bang-for-the-buck pick, but there are others.
If you decide to try Limited, I'd hunt down a nice used STI, CZ or consider a RIA HC Match (mags plus a few upgrades).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts