1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just got a Nighthawk 1 piece mainspring housing/mag well for my Bday. When I tried to install it ,it will not seat into the frame of my Less bear UTC.
I checked the dimensions an they are within a few thousands of the factory mainspring housing. It seems like the front of the mainspring housing is rubbing on the frame by the leaf spring slot when pushing it into the frame.
I do know that they need to be fitted. I have done SA one with no problem. Should I file it?
Thanks for any Help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have never tried to fit a magwell, but as a fellow UTC owner I would love to see pics of the completed installation. I like the Nighthawk magwell and have never seen one on a Baer.
-Tim

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
To fit to a Baer frame, things get complicated. Dimensions front to rear on the grip of a Baer frame are different than any other manufacturer...by a great deal.

On the back of the housing, at the bottom, there's a raised pad. This is the part that is "hitting" your frame and making it difficult to insert it all the way into the gun.

You should strip every single part out of your frame to fit it. File the pad until it goes all the way into the frame. Then, I can't guarantee that the pin hole will line up either. It's not that magwell, it's Baer's frames.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies. I was just going to send it to you guys at AlchemyCustom, but I got laid off from work Friday. I started to file it and it is almost fitting in all the way.

I will see what I can do. If I cant get it to work great. If I get in over my head I will set it aside and contact AlchemyCustom when I get back to work. I emailed them a while back ,but I do not remember what the cost was to fit. Thank you again for your advise.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Here is an S&A m/s housing & magwell it was actually a true drop in fit but EB does not. They require some fitting of the pad.
Looks good, so you didn't have to do anything to the S&A other than slide it on and put the pin back in?

Want to add a Magwell to my UTC. Might have to get another S&A soon.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
They're a drop in fit because they are insanely loose. If you want a magwell that has a giant gap between the bottom of your frame and the magwell...and is loose and rattles in your gun, by all means get an S&A. If you want one with nicely machined checkering that's made properly get a Brown, Wilson, or N.H. The checkering on the S&A also leaves a lot to be desired along with sticking out the back of the frame too far.

The problem lies in the frame, not the magwell.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I found a S&A I had bought years ago that had gotten messed up in shipping (the "ears" got bent and a few nicks and scratches on the outside finish) and ended up throwing in a box. I figured this would be a good one to try out on the Baer. I got the ears bent back into shape pretty decently, but it required a lot of work. Since I didn't really care about this one, I broke out the dremel. It definitely looks like sh*t on the inside but it fits and is snug. Whenever funds allow I will probably send it to AC to have one fitted correctly but this will do for now. Unfortunately got a small idiot scratch putting it back together last time. :bawling:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Its the stock slide stop so I don't think so. I know it's a pain to put back together.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
AC you are so right about the Nighthawks hole not lining up. I got it to seat, but I still have to fit the Mainspring hole. I fitted a S&A on my P2. It pretty much went right in only having to blend the funnel. That was probably 15 years ago. The last few S&As I have seen did not seem as if the checkering was as sharp. I mainly used the P2 for shooting USPSA. I wanted something nicer on UTC. I saw pics of guns fitted with the Nighthawk and I really liked the radius of the butt.
It is Night and day between the Nighthawk and the S&A when it comes to fit and quality.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts