1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently deployed and need to purchase a new knife quickly. I have been carrying a Microtech LUDT primarily, but need something that is not an automatic for certain duties. I am undecided between the MOD CQD Mark 1 and Mark 2 and the Microtech SOCOM Elite (full size and I think there is a smaller version). I have a Buck Strider SBTG, but the pocket clip steel is worthless making it an annoyance in the field if it gets bent since there is no spring in the spring steel. I have a Zero Tollerance 0200ST, but it is too heavy and big for what I am looking for. Most of the time, this will be a utility knife with a secondary duty as a defensive weapon. I do not want anything too thick, too heavy, or too large, as I usually work in civilian clothes and large means it will wear holes in the pockets. I would be very appreciative if anyone has side by side photos of some of these knives that they can insert in the forum thread (base firewall blocks links or attachments). Right now, my first choice is the CQD Mark 1 Limited Edition since it doesn't have the billboard on the blade. I also have use for the addition of the C4 punch that can be attached to the Mark 1. Does anyone know if it will mount on the Mark 2? Thank you all!
-R

·
Registered
529 Posts
rhm said:
I would be very appreciative if anyone has side by side photos of some of these knives that they can insert in the forum thread (base firewall blocks links or attachments). -R
I would be happy to help with this part....don't know about the rest. The pics are edited to make them easier on the eyes. The order is Microtech Socom, then Socom Mini, then CQD II, then CQD I. The second photo is a top view of the CQD II and the Socom Mini (in that order).

·
Registered
529 Posts
...and your "first choice"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies. Apparently the firewall blocks the embedded images, too. It works when the file is actually uploaded in the post, I think. Although, as soon as I posted my initial email, I was talking to a buddy and he had a CQD Mark 1 issued that he showed me...way too big for my needs! I think the Microtech Mini SOCOM Elite and the MOD CQD Mark 2 are the two front runners now.
-R

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm biased toward the Buck/Strider models. I carried a SB 880SP my first deployment and did'nt have any problems with the clip. I was a squad leader in an Infantry platoon and carried it daily in Baghdad for a year. If you like the BST just order a couple of extra clips from Buck and swap them out if one gets bent. I just dont see the advantage of a $250 Microtech or the CQD knives over the Buck/Strider models. Hell, a local gunshop is selling the SBT models with the ATS-34 blades and G10 scales for $75. Buy 3 and your still money ahead.

·
Registered
54 Posts
http://www.knifecenter.com has pictures of most everything listed. They also get past the CENTAF/Shaw AFB firewall here in Baghdad. Most picture hosting sites are blocked by the firewall. I've had knifecenter ship to my APO without any problems and even have a couple new items that should be here any day now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the help. I don't suppose any of you have suggestions as to who may have one in stock? I have found one dealer that has two in stock, but they do not have the partially serrated blade that I would prefer. I spoke to Microtech and they are not in current production, nor are they planned to be reintroduced, unfortunately.
-R

·
Registered
457 Posts
Don't know if you guys can get this one through your firewall, but I have bought knives and other gear from this place recently, they have a good in-stock selection, and their prices are actually the lowest I've found. Might want to check them out.

http://www.knifeworks.com

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Try Microholics.org. The guys there have plenty of what you need in the for sale section, pretty reasonable. Also try PVKNIFE.COM Josh has a lot of Microtech's in stock, and others.

Good luck!

Allen

·
Registered
538 Posts
The Microtech Mini SOCOM Elite frame lock is very nice. It has a 3.4" blade and is very light. I guess it is rugged enough although I've not done any heavy cutting with mine.

If the price is within your budget I suggest you look at a Chris Reeve small, or large, Classic Sebenza with partly serrated blade. They are simple, rugged, easy to take apart and put back together (there is a sequence you need to follow), Chris Reeve will referb and replace parts of the knife if needed. You can get a second blade fitted to the Sebenza. You can even get a true left handed Sebenza.

Large Classic Sebenza
Large Regular Sebenza

All the best,
Rich

·
Registered
54 Posts
czfan said:
Don't know if you guys can get this one through your firewall, but I have bought knives and other gear from this place recently, they have a good in-stock selection, and their prices are actually the lowest I've found. Might want to check them out.

http://www.knifeworks.com
knifeworks does not get through the filter. I have compared their prices, because I have internet in my tent and found that most comparable knives are pretty close in price. For me, knifecenter is as solid as newegg. They have competitive prices, always get my order right, and ship to my APO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all. I am still continuing the search... Plenty of autos out there, but no manuals it seems.
-R

·
Registered
18 Posts
Try checking out the m16-z knives by CRKT I have used them and they have a very good locking system that will keep the knife solid like a fixed blade knife. A very handy feature in a folder for those times you might find yourself rolling around and wrestling an adversary or gouging through a.l.i.c.e. pack and bodyarmour straps and canvas. Looks utilitarian enough to not scare the natives.

·
Registered
114 Posts
This is another cool knife from Mr.Coogler...It's called the Harrissi.
Verry Sharp!!!..I have one comming my way. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts