1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First it was a WC .45 CQB Elite bought some time ago. Once I spent over $700 on American Eagle ammo at Gander Mountain at one time, and much more from Midway USA. Then it was a 9mm X-Tac bought in 2014, then another WC 9mm, this time a CQB Elite in Stainless Steel, sold the X-Tac. Steel Plate competition, USPSA, Tactical Tuesdays, it was great. No malfunctions when loaded to nine. Only factory Winchester competition ammo in the 9mm. American Eagle in the .45. I even shot well over my head one night and tied a local record with the first 9mm (see below). I couldn't sing it's praises loud enough on here and I did.

Then, choke. At a tactical Tuesday in May I had a mess of a jam with the WC 9mm (only load my magazines to nine). Then, I had another some weeks later. And, up to this point I had approximately five total malfunctions with the .45, two at USPSA, two at home, one competing steel plates, all .45 problems were easily cleared.

So now I'm scratching my head. I don't need great reliability. I need utter and total reliability - like that soul-less Glock our agency mandates, or the 8 shot .357 in my closet.

So looking through my Midway receipts and guessing, maybe I have 5,000 to 6,500 rounds through between all three highly maintained 1911's and a total of 7 malfunctions. Heck, I even had Josh over at Hamilton Armory (one in Alabama) strip the .45 all the down to make sure it was being maintained well. Not only was, he marveled at WC's work with the well.

And the thing is, after the M&P semi-autos, our agency switched to 3rd Gen. Glocks; then, last year those were swapped out for 4th Gen. And I've yet to have a single malfunction in 3rd Gen Glock 27, 22, and 35; or 4th Gen Glock 22 or 35. I'm not even recalling failures at our agency range, but of course they've happened, just not to me.

Regarding the 1911's, I can't diagnose or even call a problem a failure rate that is so low we're talking ca. point 0.14% for both weapons (doing it in my head) and maybe 0.05% for the 9mm. Except that I need complete and utter reliability now that it is available. Darn those Austrians.

So as I think about this, there'll be no IWB carry for a while, cause my .357 is out of the closet and on my hip is I write this. Didn't even know where a moon clip might be.

Pics: WC CQB Elite, WC X-Tac (pic is off the dealer's web-site b4 I bought it), Tac Tues., SW .357 8-Shot (only revolver I own).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I had 2 malfunctions with my M&P last week.

Over the years I've had several malfunctions with the dozen or so glocks I've owned.

I personally don't believe there is such a thing as "utter reliability". That's the reason why you train on malfunction clearances.

Don't get me started on malfunctions with AR's.....especially the big bore AR's.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I just wonder how many folks keep track of reliability? For some unknown reason I do. I only target shoot and do not carry. The failure rate for my Kimber Pro is 7%. The failure rate for my Colt Wiley Clapp Government is .0015. Both shooting the exact same ammo.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
WisonBrown: Well you need to point out that I sold it to you or people will think I'm BSing on here! :) Or did you buy it from BCarp 22 who it appears was who I sold it to. Help. I'm posting my invoice :)

I trust it was clear that it was the stainless steel 9mm CQB Elite that had the two failures I referred to.

Attachments

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just wonder how many folks keep track of reliability? For some unknown reason I do. I only target shoot and do not carry. The failure rate for my Kimber Pro is 7%. The failure rate for my Colt Wiley Clapp Government is .0015. Both shooting the exact same ammo.
I don't think I've ever had a failure out of that .357 that I have pictured. Maybe a dead primer, I can't remember anything after these years anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
:) Sorry about that I was just caught of guard when I seen it.. It has been 100% reliable for me!! GLad to know who the original Owner was... I got it from BCARP

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
:) Sorry about that I was just caught of guard when I seen it.. It has been 100% reliable for me!! GLad to know who the original Owner was... I got it from BCARP
Well it was 100% reliable for me too, and the weapon I used when I tied that little Tactical Test Out record.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Yea its a tack driver for sure love it.. and think I got a great deal on it when I bought it. you wouldn't happen to have the original paperwork kicking around for it?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea its a tack driver for sure love it.. and think I got a great deal on it when I bought it. you wouldn't happen to have the original paperwork kicking around for it?
Some of it like the Tractus Arms original invoice. I PM'd you.

·
Registered
13,379 Posts
Firearms malfunction for reasons other than the firearm-typically out of spec ammo or shooter fatigue. Things like a sloppy grip, rubbing the slide, rubbing the bottom of the thumb safety instead of riding it, split shok buff..the list goes on and on.

If you don't lube that 9mm every 300-500 rounds you will start seeing a few malfs in our experience. Light recoil springs..

·
Administrator
10,872 Posts
I have 2 9mm 1911s that I (& my son) use for matches and, on occasion, classes. Each has been through the Rogers school, and through Randy Cain's THG 101. I'm sure I have over 10K rounds through those two guns. Not counting the time I loaded a mag with 9x17, I've had exactly 1 malfunction. None of my GLOCK™s can match that reliabilty.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
I have had this same experiences with my 3 9mm 1911s from Wilson and Dan Wesson.. the DW has over 7500 rounds through it had 1 failure to feed do to a worn recoil spring.. the Wilson has never missed a beat and I will find out tomoro how my 9mm LB Monolith HW I just acquired functions..

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
LOVE that S&W ! That will put some serious hurt on and would be my EDC gun of choice.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
I'd carry a revolver, if I was able to shoot one worth a crap and found one that was actually comfortable for me. I have a S&W 686+, but it just sits in the safe. It's there for that occasional time I have a bug to shoot a revolver. It's been a few years since I've shot it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
"The list goes on and on." Okay. This is not a platform war. I just have two semi-auto platforms I am thinking through.

So I report a roughly 0.05% 9mm failure rate, which is five in every ten thousand rounds, and WC correctly points out that I could of been tired, using the wrong ammo, had a sloppy grip, rubbed the slide, the thumb safety, split the buff, not lubed the 9mm properly, or had the wrong 9mm recoil springs? Okay. Well said.

And the company rep is painfully right, the list does go "on and on." And therein perhaps lies a problem. WC in the post above has suggested an extensive list of minor infractions in usage, care, and/or maintenance that goes "on and on". It would seem that such a high number of factors absolutely must have an effect on the MRCBF (Mean Round Count Between Failure) rate by virtue of the sheer number of things that must remain right whether the problem is the weapon itself, some maintenance or care issue surrounding the weapon, or the shooter's technique where the rep just mentioned. For example, mentioned were four different usage mistakes in technique that could contribute to effecting a failure. To say the list goes "on and on" for providing failure factors is a very interesting observation because that communicates a platform needing significant specialized knowledge and skill. And, it may be that my agency uses a platform where there's virtually no such list. I'm going to ask our Federally trained weapons guy.

As a Florida State University ROTC student I started shooting 1911's while assigned to an infantry company in the Florida Army National Guard in 1983 (got the M-9's later than the regular Army), and those weapons didn't hold a candle to the WC 1911's. And now I've spent over $11,000 on three highly optioned WC 1911's, and they are easily the most satisfying semi-auto pistol shooting experiences I have ever had. I love them. On my duty belt is a souless, ugly, plastic, toyish, very inexpensive pistol. But at the moment it is the only semi-auto platform that I have utter confidence I can shoot every magazine on my belt without incident and with accuracy. And I do regularly in training. Below are three groupings of three at agency warm-up prior to a test; seven yards.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,781 Posts
There is no such animal as 100% reliability over "all" operating conditions, but only over "a range" of conditions. All you can do is try to improve your reliability "at the margins". And from the low % rate you mention, that is exactly where your problem is.

I am not sure from your op if you are having issues with your 45 also or just your 9 (I don't "9")...On the 45, I can offer you two things to increase the marginal reliability of the gun, which worked for me. If you are a RW-RC spring guy, go to the chrome silicon recoil springs by ISMI (so far 100% improvement in round count for me and still going strong), and get the WC Flatware mags. My 1-2% failure rate with some HPs magically went away when I switched to these mags last year. Not a failure on any of my 1911s-45s since.

All the mechanics of the gun, as well as the shooter, contribute to the marginal-reliability, so the more robust each piece is, the more they can "make-up" for other elements. For example, put the best RS in their, put the best mags, and perhaps the 1-2% of failures caused by "fatigue" (allegedly :)), wont show up.
C.A.

·
Administrator
10,872 Posts
On my duty belt is a souless, ugly, plastic, toyish, very inexpensive pistol. But at the moment it is the only semi-auto platform that I have utter confidence I can shoot every magazine on my belt without incident and with accuracy.
And I was pleasantly surprised at my last GLOCK™ match when I made it through it without a malfunction

OTOH, the match before last, I was shocked to have a malfunction with a 1911 pattern pistol, until I examined the offending round, a Federal AE 230 gr FMJ.

·
Banned
3,089 Posts
I have many thousands of dollars worth of 1911s in my safe, and as dwever says, they are very satisfying to shoot. I keep a Glock 19 in my nightstand should I need to defend myself against someone breaking in to steal them should I ever have the need.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts