1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Range Report - Fired the first 250 rounds after wiping the 2 quarts of oil off the gun. Had 5 ftf's from the same McCormick 10 rd mag, but it was never the same position of the round in the clip...sometimes a gentle tap would send the slide into battery, other times the clip had to be removed and the round would fall back out...

Other than that, everything is working out just fine, I fired the first 240 and then had a guy in the lane next to me fire off the last clip of 10 so I could watch the muzzle blast out of the ported barrel. Didn't seem like a big deal to me, the guy next to me thought it looked cool shooting fire and smoke up towards the ceiling...

Lots of junk built up inside, looks like my fireplace after a big fire...notice a lot of gunpowder on the face of where the hammer hits the firing pin, much more than what's left over on my TRP Op from the last time I fired it. With the slide locked back and the clip removed, gently shaking the gun now produces a little rattle of the slide to the frame. This was not there before going to the range.

I attached the target with the first 10 rounds down the tube, out at the 15 meter line...I used a 8x10 mini IDPA style target to test on, one target for each 10 rounds. Today when I go back for the next 250, I’ll use just one mag to rule out the other mags…

Yes, I like it...we'll see if I can give Gary Mac's gun a run for the money....

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Range Report - another 250 rounds down the tube...and still the same number of FTF's...after the 2nd one, I changed out mags, still got them...I noticed on each round that ftf'd, the bell on the case seem a little expanded out, more than the next round. Could be the ammo...so I'm off to wally world to buy up some of that Winchester ammo that is in the non brass case. I'll swap out 100 rounds out of Fridays 250 round test and see if that is it.

mikey

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Range Report – interesting day with the change in ammo, to start with, I substituted 100 rounds of CCI Blazer for the 230gr lead reloads that I’ve been using. Had 4 ftf’s with the lead reloads. Everyone of the ftf’s was in the first 2 or 3 rounds in the Chip McCormick 10 round clip used. This is a different clip from the ones used in the first two sessions at the range. When I got to the Blazer’s, this gun has had 650 rounds through it in the last week. All 100 Blazer’s were shot in the same fashion as the reloads, quick sets of double taps. Not one ftf in the last 100 rounds. And what a blast coming out of the ports….the reloads appear to be a lot tamer than the CCI Blazers. Some of the folks on the range thought the afterburner flame was a good 6 to 9 inches high. My 2nd shot was almost always on the money in each of the double tap drills.

All and all, I gotta say the V12 is doing good, it puts holes in the target if I do my part. I’ve let a couple of other shooters at the range try it, and they did some really tight groups, much better than me (they’re a lot younger and have better eyes…).

I’ve ordered more ammo, this time from another supplier, so I’ll take a couple of days off and then start up again as soon as UPS brings me my ammo…the new ammo will 200 grain reloads, we’ll see if that makes a difference. So now I’ll just look at the extremely dirty looking 1911a, waiting for more ammo.

Each of the rounds that failed to feed was checked and it appears that the crimp was less on them then other rounds, you could feel a flared out feel when you ran your finger between the 230 grain bullet and the case. But I always got them to feed again when I loaded them back into the clip, sometimes out of order.

This will also give my thumb a chance to recover from loading the mags…I really miss my auto loader for the Ruger Mk11 mags..

More next week…

mikey

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lucky me - I found 150 rounds of 230 grain ball FMJ that I didn't know I had, I'll mix it in - 1 lead, 1 fmj throughout the clips and we'll start back up Monday night. 750 rounds so far with what looks like only ammo problems so far. Nothing has fallen off, come loose or broken. No cracks in the slide or temporary blindness from the ports...

The attached photo shows the condition of the barrel and ports after 750 rounds, no cleaning.

mikey

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Range Report – interesting night at the range, 250 rounds shot, 2 failure to ejects, both cases when examined, showed a lot of rim damage from prior ejects.

Tonight I used a different clip for the first 100 rounds, where one of the FTE’s occurred. The first clip was an unusual convertible clip, it goes from 8 rounds to 9 rounds by changing out the bottom pad. I’ve had this clip kicking around for at least a 1 ½ years. It has never been used before. It worked very well tonight.

The ammo used tonight was 230 grain lead RN and 230 grain FMJ, some of the FMJ was RN and some was semi wad cutter. I mixed up the ammo for the first 150 rounds, stacking one lead round on top of a FMJ round. This did not cause any problems, most shooting was done in a double tap mode, a few quick 3 & 4 shot strings were thrown in looking for problems. None surfaced, I did one 10 shot with a quick reload and then 10 more rapid fire shots, bad grip included, not a hitch.

So what do I have to do to make this thing break? More ammo I guess…Seeing how GaryMac has a little over 2k rounds through his SA, I’m going to have to work like crazy to catch up and pass him. Well I’m out of ammo until the next shipment arrives this week. If the weather is good, I’ll take the V12 to the IPSC practice this weekend and put it through its paces. Maybe that type of shooting will cause a solid group of problems. I really want to send the gun back to Springfield for a warranty problem and that would give me the excuse to have some little things changed and added over in the custom shop. But I don’t think I’ll be that lucky…

More to come this Saturday….

mikey

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While getting a hundred rounds ready for an IPSC practice match this Saturday, I came across a damaged round in the reloads. As you can see, a piece of the copper jacket is torn away and peeled up against the bullet. I wonder how many of these I've put through the gun in the last 1000 rounds?

Now if I can just find the bullet puller, another case for the reloader that I've never got around to setup...

mikey

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Having not reloaded since 1975 (Rockchucker era) I'm confined to using commercial reloads...I did purchase a Dillon XL650 w/45 dies and few other add ons, but I haven't had the time or space to set it up. I'm hoping to have some down time this winter and start reloading all of this brass. I've done fairly well in recovering it at the indoor range, I'm running at about 80% recovery rate. Each case is marked the night before with a double case band to indicate to me that it was used in this test.

2nd batch of reloads should be here in AM tomorrow, I'll try to get down to the range with 250 rounds and have another go at it...

This is costing me anarm & leg, unlike GaryMac who fell into the gun store and fell out with another SA, I was just sitting there when somehow the store owner got my checkbook from me and now I've got a PC9801L Loaded Micro Compact coming in for me. And I'll need to break it in, but it will be done differently this time. Something not as painful as loading a 10 round magazine 25 times in a row...

maybe I could blame all of this on GaryMac....

mikey

:D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Range Report – Umm, @ 1074 rounds, while stepping into the box and “loading to make ready” the rear sight fell off into my hand. This kinda set the mood for the rest of the day…Up until this point, everything had been working just fine. I had one blazing run on the steel, even I felt that I was banging away far better than before on the poppers. Then this happened, the sight is just sitting there in my hand, so I call out to the Range Officer that I’ve just had a malfunction and I unload and head back to the bench. A couple of other shooters came over to help (heckle?) and before long over in the safety area, we’re putting the sight back on and I’m out to the 25 yard range to see how bad the sight picture is. Here I’ve just spent a week putting a 1000 rounds through this gun, no mechanical failures and I show up to play IPSC and my sight falls off.

Turns out the sight picture isn’t far off, one set of adjustments and the guns back on target.

After 1 more run, I moved over to the 25 yard to kill some more cardboard and the damn rear sight does the same thing, right off into my hand again. This happens at round 1113. So this time, sight goes back into the bag, same with the gun and I’m off in search of red locktite. Nobody had any locktite, so after watching everybody else shot, it was time to hit the road.

Well, I’m really not sure if this qualifies as a total breakdown, but it sure is a pain in the butt. I’ll have to locktite (red) the rear sight down and go back to the range and sight the gun back in…

That will probably take up the rest of the 250 rounds that I had with me…

H’mmm, in a couple of weeks when the PC9801L Micro Compact comes in, gotta do this all over again. If I was a gun manufacturer, I’d offer all of my models in a ‘broken in’ stage. Right out of the box with 1500 rounds (maybe simulated?) through the gun, give it a good shakedown while it’s still at the factory.

mikey

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm guessing the sight is loose in the dovetail and the screw is the only thing holding it in? That's the same way Ed Brown sets up his sights.... I don't agree with it. If it was as CCW gun I'd use a sharp punch to raise some metal to tighten up the dovetail AND lock tite the screw. But for range use lock tite should be sufficient.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Red Loctite – 6 stores later, finally I find some, 6 bucks for 6ml’s of it…so then I get home and remember that I forgot to get a little modelers paint brush to use with the loctite. I start looking around and I find two new tubes that I guess I’ve been hoarding since before the W-2K scare…

But, after looking at the slide without the sight on it, I had an idea, I have an extra Tasco Optima 2000 that needs a home, so if I can locate a mount that fits the dovetail on the slide, I’ll install it and see if I can batter it to death…

Anybody have a good source for a dovetail mount for Tasco that works on a 1911a?

michaels

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Chuck, thanks for the info, EGW is sending me a mount for the Tasco, along with a few other "I can't live without them" items...

So instead of installing and then going through the sight it in process with the stock sights, I'm going to wait the couple of days till the mount gets here and then install the Optima on it. I normally shoot my Ruger MK11 with the Optima and it makes it a lot easier for those longer shots with my old eyes...now if I could make the felt recoil like it is in the Ruger, I'd be dead on...

So problably nothing happening until Wednesday on this end...this will give GaryMac enough time to fire off another 1k without any problems, while I look at my gun without a rear sight on it...

GaryMac yer killing me....

michaels

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Backordered - the story of my life...

The rest of the ammo order is backordered, don't know when it will arrive. Of course they charge you for it upfront...

Still waiting for the mount for the Optima 2000 sight, once that item hits my PO box, i'll have it mounted in a nano second and then back to the range for the next 250 rounds...

So then, check back in a day or two and we'll see what happens,
the little micro should be available sometime later this week, I'll see what I can break or shake lose on that little beast...already got the mini light on it's way, and of course, Crimson Trace grips...now can I fit the 10 round mags in that little puppy....

michaels

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, the package from EGW is in and I was ready to go and shoot…couldn’t find the loctite, but that was the least of my worries…
I mounted the Tasco Optima 2000 optical sight on the brand new mounting plate supplied by Evolution Gun Works (EGW), once that was done, I went for the trial fit.

It didn’t fit….

The mounting bracket must be made for some other gun, cause is sure doesn’t want to fit in the dovetail, along with the dovetail not being centered so the whole mounting plate fits within the rear sight cutout.

So I took the Tasco sight apart and boxed up the EGW stuff to return to them tomorrow after a phone call or an email with a picture showing how it doesn’t fit.

Figured I’d go ahead and mount the original rear sight back on for now and go down tonight and kill some cardboard. I cleaned the rear sight base and installed the original sight back on, turns out the sight just slides out of the dovetail no matter how much you tighten down the center screw. It appears that the elevation screw is also a mounting screw (the only one holding everything together) and it’s not going down into hole in the slide cutout.

So here I go with the lifetime warranty stuff….the only good part is maybe the new micro will be ready for me this week and I can start breaking it in…

So GaryMac, wanna trade guns for awhile?

mikey

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Warranty Update – Called and spoke with Brandy, explained the problem of the rear sight not staying on the slide. I had the option of sending in the whole gun or just the slide. Took them up on the slide option, since then if I can catch my regular UPS guy today, I can just give him the box, since it’s already labeled and paid for. The regular guy can’t take a firearm, plus I wouldn’t want it riding around with him on his route if it was OK to do…

Then it’s off to the indoor range today (it’s raining in my part of N.Calif. today) and I’ll take the masterblaster with me. It’s a little over 6k rounds through it without any cleaning other than wiping down the outside and having to clean the outside of the mags…It’s not the 1911a but it’s better than not going to the range…

Then I gotta call EGW and see what’s up with the Tasco mount…

mikey

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
My spangfelt did the exact same thing to me. I was having to put the sight back into the dovetail every 50 or so rounds.

My Baer on the other hand, has endured over 7,000 rounds and the sights haven't even thought about moving. This was a huge issue for me, as nobody should have to chase down their rear sight after it flies off the weapon. It makes you look like a dork and says horrible things about the quality of the pistol. Springfield should fit them properly.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts