1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize for asking a seemingly ignorant question but I have only had some Kimbers and a Colt in the past and don't remember having this problem (just purchased my V16 today and was cleaning it in preparation of going to the range tomorrow).

My V16 has a 2-piece guide rod. The book says to unscrew the front part of the guide-rod and then remove the slide stop, slide,etc. When reassembling it said to just reverse the steps.

When reassembling I find it very difficult to push in the long recoil spring and keep it pushed in and aligned while putting the slide back on. Only then does it say to then screw back together the front part of the guide rod. Is there some trick to the reassembly to make it a little easier? Or perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks for any info you may have.

[This message has been edited by QB (edited 08-25-2001).]

·
Registered
411 Posts
Lay your slide on your bench, sight side down. After the barrel is in put the first half of the guide rod in. Make sure the barrel link is laying down on the barrel and touching the back of the guide rod head. Put the recoil spring in and guide it over the guide rod head. Now put the bushing in the slide and align it. You will have to turn the bushing through one of the spring coils. Put the slide back on and install the slide stop. The spring might want to bind on the bushing when you put it back on the frame. Keep an eye on the bushing and keep everything straight or turn the bushing so that the spring doesn't contact it. After the slide is back on let the hammer down. Turn the bushing so that the guide rod plug can get it past it. Take the guide rod plug and put it over the recoil spring. Get your safety glasses on. Push the plug down into the slide. When the plug edge clears the bushing turn the bushing. Now put your guide rod through the plug and screw it in. I hope I explained this correctly. I can do it easier than I can put it into words. I hope this helps.

Shooter Ready?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts