1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

I am considering several .45's. I already have a Kimber SS Classic and have recently considered this model, partly due to it's "uniqueness." Now, I'm not that familiar with .45 super, but have decent experience with .45's.

Can anyone give me some feedback on this particular model? Is it of match quality? What kind of accuracy can I expect? S.A's webiste doesn't go into a lot of details that this particular model has and I'd like some "real world" experience. As always, I appreciate your responses.

Kind regards,
Frank
[email protected]

·
Registered
180 Posts
I love mine!

I don't know what match quality is but mine has no slop and shoots like a dream. It is far more accurate than I. With the Porting, it shoots 45 super and feels betweeen a 45 and 40S&W. The recoil of a regular 45 is that of a 9mm. But be warned, trying to shoot regular lite 45 loads won't allow the slide to cycle. All in all, I think it is a great gun.

[This message has been edited by shooter22 (edited 07-21-2001).]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shooter:

Thanks for the post; excellent. I too, don't really know "match quality" in terms of my shooting ability, but if it shoots true and accurately, who cares right? :< )

In order to cycle some lighter "target" loads where would you get a lighter spring; from S.A? Obviously a normal 1911 spring wouldn't work as it's too short. Does Wilson Combat or others carry this lighter spring?

Appreciate the post!

Kind regards,
Frank

·
Registered
869 Posts
I like mine and to date has fed six ammo types flawlessly. Anyone know the ballastic comparisons on the 45super say to a 10mm?

·
Registered
869 Posts
I like mine and to date has fed six ammo types flawlessly. Anyone know the ballistic comparisons on the 45super say to a 10mm?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I don't use lighter loads any more, just regular acp, seems light enough for me. The ballistics from what I have seen are pretty close. I have some reloading data from some places if you want it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I consider the V-16 to be a superb pistol with enough accuracy for fun shooting or hunting. It's not a match accuracy pistol.

I think you'll find that standard length springs work just fine. In fact SA told me the spring that comes in the V-16 is a standard length spring.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've done much research on the .45 Super.I've not decided whether to go custom or SA V16 yet.To answer a couple of questions on this thread the recoil spring on these pistols is made to withstand the beating of full power .45 Super loads and although advertised as interchangable with all .45 acp ,will in reality only function properly with HEAVY 230 grain types.

As far as the power compared to the 10mm,they now have loads available called .45 super express,made for hunting(some states require a minimum of 500 ftlbs energy at 100 yards for hunting).These surpass any 10mm round and venture into light 44 mag territory.They were designed to be fired out of a 6" barreled,ported handgun.

For the best info(history,ammo,balistics and new features)go to the originators of the cartridge. www.acecustom45.com

·
Registered
20 Posts
StentmanFrank,
There was an article on SA Trophy Match Long Slide in Aug 2000 issue Handguns.
The covered pistol was not a V-16 45 Super but rather long slide .45 ACP (although both are pretty much the same guns..), it did get pretty good review anyway..
Average group size from the 25 yrd ransom test ran around 2.5" with 4 different ammo brands.. Benchrest resulted similar accuracy.. Certainly not a match accuracy, but not bad either..
The reviewer, David W. Arnold, said "One thing that did impressed me was how reliable the pistol was with all the ammunition that I used."
Since it was not a review on V-16 .45 Super, I'm not sure how helpful this info is to you.. But actually .45 Super was mentioned in that article very briefly..
It reads, "The pistol is chambered for the .45 ACP carrtridge -- When fitted with an 18 1/2 pound recoil spring, the pistol can handle .45 Super ammunition..."
Does that mean that .45 Super long slide come with 18.5lbs spring as standard?? I don't know.. But based on that comment, I assume you can shoot both .45 ACP and .45 Super with your long slide as long as you put 18.5 lbs recoil spring, which Bill Wilson recommends on tactical .45 ACP 1911s anyway...
Take care, and be safe..

Steve..

[This message has been edited by Stevo (edited 09-04-2001).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts