1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just read this on AR15.com thought I would pass it along:

Once again, the Fredricksburg Free Lance Star is publishing the names of Concealed Handgun Permit holders. This is not the first time they have done this. Last time, they changed their policy in large part because of every one of you who sent them e-mails.

As you all know, it may be legal to print this information as it is a matter of public record, but it doesn't make it right (or even smart for that matter).

Here's more information from the VCDL:

The Free Lance Star in the Fredericsburg area is once again publishing the names and addresses of concealed handgun permit holders in the area.

Although this is legal to do, that doesn't make it right. How many of those permit holders may have lost their jobs or friends because of the FLS's idiocy?

Here are the key players at FLS - contact them and let them know your thoughts on their actions. A boycott of their paper might not be a bad idea either. I don't have a phone number for Ms. Cavin - if someone can get that I will pass it on. If someone can get the home addresses of the people below, I would like to publish them - what is good for the goose is good for the gander!

Mildred C. Cavin - CEO, [email protected]
Josiah P. Rowe III - Publisher 540-374-5451, [email protected]
Edward W. Jones - Editor 540-374 5401, [email protected]
Paul E. Akers - Editorial page Director 540-374-5531, [email protected]
Florence C. Barnick - Associate Publisher 540-374-5452,
[email protected]cestar.com
Nick Cadwallender - Associate Publisher 540-374-5454,
[email protected]
James A. Mann - Associate managing Editor 540-374-5402, [email protected]

Hi, I just read this on AR15.com thought I would pass it along: :mad: :mad: :rolleyes: :mad:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Looking on the bright side...

If there is one; at least most bad guys don't read newspapers.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
IIRC, the newspaper in Greenville, SC did this for a short while after SC's CCW law went into effect, but they stopped. Unlike publishing lists of divorces granted, which would be of valid interest to the business community, there would seem to be no reason to publish the names of CCW holders. One wonders at the motivations of newspapers that publish this info. It certainly lets anyone know who owns firearms, and puts them at risk for a residential burglary during the day when no one is at home.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but they are still doing it.

What do you think it would cost to place an ad in the paper that had the name, addresses, and phone numbers of the editors *AND* their work hours. Not to mention the security on their homes such as "deadbolts only" or "ADT signs, but no service".....

Oh, and I failed to mention that they also include this list in the free weekly paper that goes into everyone's mailbox...That is how I get it.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
It would seem to me that attempting to reason with the newspaper is doomed to fail, and thus the only solution is to lobby for legislation which would close that information--remove it from public record. Many (or at least some) shall issue states have such provisions in their concealed carry laws--it would appear that Virginia needs to follow suit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Fortunately, at least in this case, newspapers are going the way of the dinosaur. It's too easy, and free, to simply look stuff up on the web. Cancelled my newspaper subscription months ago. Even when I had it, I felt the info was dated.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Seems to me they're doing it as a gimmick to boost circulation. It's a controversial subject, so it will sell papers. In their stupid opinion that is. ;)

·
Registered
208 Posts
I live in VA !!!!!! Hope these horrible people reconsider. Not only is a person's right to choose (to protect one's self & family/loved ones) but the decision ought to be within the zone of privacy. Sad sad sad.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Just get the home addresses phone numbers and pictures of the kids of the newspaper do gooders and put them on the Internet.

That will put a stop to this crap in a hurry.

·
Registered
53 Posts
bigjim said:
Just get the home addresses phone numbers and pictures of the kids of the newspaper do gooders and put them on the Internet.

That will put a stop to this crap in a hurry.

I looked up all the 'powers' listed om the papers www site. Thought it would be good to run an ad in the towns 'other' paper.

They were all either unlisted or they do not live in this area. And I can understand not wanting to....considering all the possible stolen guns they advertise with their listing!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
My email answer!

I sent this. A few errors. But I don't work for a newspaper, haha!

"Hello,
I would like to take this opportunity to tell you that I heard your newspaper was publishing the names of persons holding valid, legally obtained concealed handgun permits. I would like to understand the reasoning behind such a vendetta other than to try to shame or humiliate law abiding American citizens. Is that what "freedom of the press" has sunk so low to in this country? A political agenda against those who do not hold the same views as you or your staff?
Those who hold a permit have gone through extensive background examinations, fingerprinting, etc. They are the law abiding citizens of this state.Perhaps your paperhas them confused with the criminal/non-law abiding element that carry guns illegaly and commit crimes with them. The permit holders simply want to protect themselves and their families from this element.
I have a proposition for you. Lets conduct a test. A two page test in your newspaper. One page will continue to run your "permit holder names". But, now on the adjacent page we will run the names of all households that have no guns to protect themselves with. Effectively, an "anti-gun name list". Now we will contact the police and sheriffs depts. to correllate the cime statistics to see which group has the higher rate. Please let me kno if this interests you. I would be happy to help set up the logistics.
Remember, the Constitution of the United States of America is binding on us all. You cannot pick and choose which parts you wish to adhere to and which not to.
To cherish the 1st Ammendment is to cherish the 2nd also, whether you personally like it or not.
Thank you for listnening,
Albert Shear"

·
Registered
806 Posts
Albert Shear, if you get a reply from the paper, please let us know. I am very interested in their reply to your statement.
Thanks pal. :)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Update

Just thought I would let everyone know I have not received any response to my email. I did not think I would, but you never know.
AL

·
Registered
806 Posts
Albert Shear said:
Just thought I would let everyone know I have not received any response to my email. I did not think I would, but you never know.
AL
Al thank you for keeping us posted friend. I really appreciate you getting back with us. :)
Dale

·
Registered
53 Posts
Albert Shear said:
I sent this. A few errors. But I don't work for a newspaper, haha!
Have you thought of rewording it and then sending it to the other papers in the area as an OP/ED?

You know...splashy title like "The (other paper) wants to get you killed." or "The (other paper) wants your gun on the streets."

Albert are you in in the papers distribution area?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts