1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does the Wilson catalog recommend
the value line sear with the value line hammer? Can the deluxe sear be used with the value line hammer, or vice versa? I was wondering if the value line parts were only compatable with each other and not with other combinations.

Thanks
David

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
David,

Don't know that I have anything approximating the definitive answer, but my impression was that this had something to do with the relative hardness and wear characteristics of the dissimilar metals (or the dissimilar molecular composition).

While the differences between the two parts are probably going to be utterly insignificant in normal use, my impression is that Wilson is just hedging their bet by recommending that tool steel surfaces engage only like components. I could be way off here, but this seems to be what I was told once upon a time.

I don't think there is any real harm in mixing and matching, but I would still abide by their recommendation. If nothing else, this would put you on much firmer ground if you ever had to send your pistol to them for upgrade or repair.

Chuck

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That all sounds reasonable. I didn't think about warranty issues. I guess in the least it would save a hassle down the road.
Thanks!
David

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
The mixing of MIM and tool-steel parts is a curious idea, to say the least. The Wilson ValueLine hammer and sear work together to give a decent pull w/no, or very little, work. The tool-steel parts are more likely to produce longer-lasting results, but that's just speculation based on past performance of MIM slide locks and thumb safeties. The tool-steel parts will take more work (fitting/polishing) to produce the desired results.

If you have one tool-steel or MIM component, it would make better sense to buy the complementary component. If you have a big budget, I'd take a look at Dane Burns' BCP ignition system (www.burnscustom.com). If you have a Wilson pistol, send it back to them to keep your warranty intact.

[This message has been edited by Andy (edited 11-27-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts