1911Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SA Compact steel frame that I bought used, before I knew anything about 1911's. The previous owner 'polished' down the feed ramp way too much, and the barrel overlapped it, obviously causing feed problems. So his solution was to take material off of the bottom of the barrel and polish it, removing so much that it is unsafe to shoot.

I am contemplating either selling it as-is (hopefully to the gun shop that sold it to me in this condition) or having it fixed. I have someone who will give me a 5" Colt Gold Cup NM barrel, and the gunsmith can cut it to 4" and recrown it, then weld up the feed ramp and reshape it.

If everything goes right, would the Colt barrel make the SA gun less valuable? I know that the gun is pretty worthless as it is, but I wonder if I should look for a SA 4" barrel. I only paid $350 for the gun, and would kind of like having a full size SA Loaded Stainless, but the Compact carries really nice.

So is it worth it?

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
You are better off starting new. First if you cut a 5 inch you will need the barrel tapered for the bushing. Recrowning is another cost. Plus the barrel would need to be fit. Cheeper to buy the new 4 inch and bushing. Welding the lost material on the feed ramp is no problem, allthough you may need a blue job after. Greg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts