1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a Wilson Master Comp LE (? don't remember the exact name) in a gunshop for asking price of $995.

It was a hard chromed Series 70 Colt Govt with blued slide, Bomars and extended barrel compensator. Looked original except for grips and skeleton hammer but appeared to be in excellent condition. They had a 1988 catalog with it so I assume that's the year it was built.

I'm not familiar with early model Wilson's and not a fan of comps, but if the price was right...

Does anyone know a street value? Were these a "Master Grade" level gun? Any collectors value?

TIA,

JSP

·
Registered
121 Posts
Last year, I sold my 1986 vintage .45 Master Grade LE for $1200 to finance a new Protector. It was a Series 80 gun but just like you describe except for a commander hammer. It had no checkering with wrap around Pachmyers. Back in 86, the Colt plus custom work were about $1500. It really was top of the line in its day--before IPSC got hi-cap/red-dot crazy.

Street value is pretty hard to put a finger on as few people are interested in big-bore single chamber comp guns. Still, $995 sounds like a good price to me. It was a fun gun to shoot. Before I sold mine, I called Wilson to inquire about building a new 5" top end for it ($700-$800 depending on sights), and was told that if I had someone else build a gun of comparable quailty today, it would run $2500+.

[This message has been edited by Wade (edited 04-08-2001).]

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Wade

That helps a bunch.

From the looks of the gun, I assumed it would be equivalent to a $2000-2500 hand built in today's $$.

My thoughts were the same about the compensator issue - have a different barrel fitted to the slide, or maybe have the comp milled off the barrel to have a tapered cone lockup similar to the Tactical Elite series...

JSP

1 - 5 of 5 Posts