1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help...

What affects do either spring have on pistols.

I prefer an 18.5lb spring, but does a variable perform better?

Thanks and Happy Shooting, Thunder25

·
Registered
164 Posts
check out the Wolff website, it explains the dif. Colt and pretty much all the clones and so-called "custom" gun makers use conventional spring, if that tells you anything

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have visited the Wolff Website, but the answer seems still personal preference...

What is the preference my fellow shooters?

I really don't know enough to have a preference.

Thanks and Happy Shooting, Thunder25

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thunder,

I use a #20 variable in my Commander, and it seems to work reliably with Factory 230 FMJ to 200 LSWC reloads, and everything in between. I initially used a #20 Conventional spring and it handled the Factory 230 fine, but the lighter 200 LSWC loads gave me a lot of FTF and FTE problems. Someone suggested the variable, and now everything works fine.

If you are planning to shoot just Factory full power loads, then a Conventional spring will do just fine.

If you are planning to shoot assorted weight and power loads, then a Variable spring may be your answer.

That's just my 2¢ worth. Hope it helps you out.

hunter

[This message has been edited by hunter_h (edited 11-19-2001).]

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Variables work best in a tightly fitted gun, or one that has not broken in completely. It allows easier unlocking initially, but still gives max rate at compression when the slide cycles.

A constant rate spring is (IMHO) better suited to most applications, as you want the gun to stay locked up as long as possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts