1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to polute each folder with a post, so thought I would just ask here in general: My room mate and I went to a gunshow on saturday, and saw seemingly good quality guns mfd by companies we had never heard of. Turns out we hadn't heard of them because they manufacture them outside the US.

Rock Island armory, twin pines, Charles Daly, and Armscor. I noted that Daly has a section here, and there's a 'Rock River' company, which I suspect is a sister to Rock island?

Here's the real part that fits here: Is there any specific reason to steer clear of guns mfd outside the US, if they're using certified quality steel? The price seems significantly lower (300 vs. 500 for base models). Or do most people steer clear of them simply because they're not 'made in the USA'? I know it's giving me pause.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think most people tend to steer away from brand names they've had problems with, or they've seen other people have problems with. As far as manufactured outside the USA goes, many, many well known brands are partially, if not wholly, made outside the USA. Springfield Armory comes to mind easily. My SA was made off shore and I'm totally pleased with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But SA is a 'US' company, they're based in America. The majority of the companies I mentioned are based in the Philipines, I've been told.

·
Registered
21,911 Posts
Rock River is US made by a relatively small but well thought of company and has no connection with Rock Island which is a Philippine clone stealing the name of the US Army arsenal. Daly, Twin Pines, and Armscor are just other names for the Philippine copies.

Springfield Armory Inc has no connection with the US Government facility of that name, but imports guns from Brazil and Croatia. Not bad guns by any means, but not American, except the top of the line pistols made here... out of Brazilian forgings.

There are a lot of fans of Communist Chinese Norinco copies, but I just can't go along, no matter how good they say they are. Not to mention what my gunsmith has shown me about them, which would turn me off of any such product.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
As much as I like the Rock Island GI model, and the Springfield pistols in genereal, I steer clear of them simply because they're not made in the US.

So far I have Colts, Kimbers, Rock River Arms, Les Baer and an Essex.

I've looked at Springfield several times, but so far just can't bring myself to part with the money. Whether or not I can see "Brazil" on the slide, I know for a fact the frame and slide were forged there. My money, my choice.

·
Registered
367 Posts

I don't know much about the good and bad of guns made outside of the US, But from the reading I have been doing here on the site, customer service is a BIG part of choosing a gun. If you go out and buy a Philipine made gun and it has a problem (failure to feed, hammer follows slide, or my personal favorite, Gun "field strips itself" when you shoot it for the first time) who do you call to see if they will make it right. While where it was made might be important to most, I am more worried about who will answer the phone when I need them...:rock:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Is there any specific reason to steer clear of guns mfd outside the US, if they're using certified quality steel?
It is not as straighforwardly simple as you put it. There are excellent non-U.S. gun manufacturers and there are some that are to be avoided. It will take some research and study to find out which is which. Lowered cost of foreign produced firearms are a function of lower labor costs, lower manufacturing standards, etc. For example, Taurus revolvers are often close copies of Smith and Wesson revolvers. Take one of each and do a side-by-side comparison. Fit and finish will more often than not be much superior on the Smith & Wesson - hence a lot higher cost to you the consumer. It DOES NOT MEAN that the Taurus revo will be bad or inferior but it will cost a lot less. So, where does that all fit into the purchasing equation? Highly individual choice.

Do your resarch and you will soon find which stuff is okay and which is to be avoided. Good luck:rock:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts