1911Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gunners:

Is the "VEPR K" Carbine in 7.62x39 & "VEPR II" Rifle in 7.62x39 good rifles?

Is there any reason not to get the VEPR K Carbine version?

Should I get the Muzzle Break option?

Many Thanks, "THE SOCKMAN"

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
SOCKMAN, you posted this thread/question twice.

I gather you're referring to the Robinson Armament products?

If so, I've handled both versions extensively and have been to Alex Robinson's facility many times, having owned several of his products and discussed design issues with him at some length.
Apart from some "teething pains" unavoidable in starting a new business venture, I think that Robinson Armament has done an excellent job of bringing some new small arms to market, including the VEPR II, the VEPR K and the M96 series.

Unsolicited plug aside, I own the VEPR II since I want the higher velocity afforded by its longer barrel. The VEPR K is only a little bit "handier" for the sake of its shorter barrel.

Bear in mind that since the VEPRs are built on the heavier SAW receiver rather than the typical thinner and lighter AK receiver, either the VEPR II or VEPR K will be heavier (8-9 lbs.) than the lightest-possible AK47.
They will, however be notably more accurate, too, and of course felt recoil will be less, even though this is usually to be considered negligible with the 7.62x39.

The 7.62x39 round is already rather anemic, so it doesn't make sense to reduce its velocity by shooting it out of a rifle with a shorter barrel, IMNSHO.

As to the "muzzle brake", my feeling is who needs one on an "assault rifle" like this? There's little muzzle lift or felt recoil, but a lot of increased muzzle blast with a muzzle brake on either the 5.56x45 or 7.62x39 patterns of rifle.
A muzzle break actually makes more sense with a truly powerful rifle, unless of course you like to annoy the folks next to you on the range! :p

Best.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts