1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone elses SA Loaded have vertical trigger movement? Mine moves vertically in the trigger frame a little more then 1/16"

I have not seen this on any other 1911s? Is this normal from SA?

Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
383 Posts
higher end 1911 - do not do this. My Kimber,Valtro and Les Baer do not do this.
I have seen custom Springfields do this as well. It is annoying once you know it does it. I can not feel the wiggle when I shoot it.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Talon,

That does not sound normal to me. My TRP and both of my Professional Models have less than 1/64th of an inch of vertical play in the trigger (some is required, but I can see how 1/16th of an inch would be excessive to many.).

I would suggest that if it bothers you, that you contact SA. I am sure they will fix it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Archer,

Congrats on your 400th post, each one informative. :)

(What can I say.....it's 15 degrees out and my indoor range burnt down 6 months ago........<sigh>........slow day...)

·
Registered
893 Posts
Ouch ! 400 posts in 13 months ! I must have too much time on my hands :)

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
(What can I say.....it's 15 degrees out and my indoor range burnt down 6 months ago........<sigh>........slow day...)
What's the problem?

:p

·
Registered
128 Posts
In a pistolsmithing book I have read, with an article in there by Bob Day, anything over .003" - .005" of verticle play needs adjusting. His fix was to very lightly peen the side(s) of the trigger stirrup so the width in that area will take the verticle play out of the trigger.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Interesting comment, it piqued my curiosity so I decided to measure the vertical trigger play on the three SA pistols I have on hand at the moment.

Used a Mitutoyo digital caliper, zeroed on the third hole and outside bottom of the trigger guard. Obtained a zero datum by pulling down on the trigger and then measured displacement by pulling up on the trigger and re-measuring. (If someone can think of a better method I would be happy to try it).

1. TRP stainless, NM1703xx (Built in November 01) 0.001" (something like 12K rounds and a lot more presses)

2. Custom Shop Professional Model, CRG17XX (Built in November 02) 0.002" (around 6K rounds and at least 30K dry fires)

3. Custom Shop Professional Model, CRG20XX (built in November 03) 0.0015" (still only around 150 rounds through it so far, but perhaps a thousand dry fires)

My earlier comment about mine seeming to move "a little less than a 1/64th of an inch" was off by a factor of ten ! It is much less than that.

I did feel that some movement is required for the sake of clearance. But it seems that my subjective opinion of the vertical movement vs. the measured number was quite different.

Also all three guns have about 0.010" of SIDE TO SIDE trigger play. So perhaps THAT is what's needed for reliability.

While I was at it, I measured slide-frame side-to-side play. The stainless gun has +/- .001 inch, the two Pro models are unmeasurable. We're getting into angel populations on pin head dance floor territory here... ;)

If you really have 1/16th of vertical play on the trigger, I would suggest you get them to fix it.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Archer said:
Talon,

That does not sound normal to me. My TRP and both of my Professional Models have less than 1/64th of an inch of vertical play in the trigger (some is required, but I can see how 1/16th of an inch would be excessive to many.).

I would suggest that if it bothers you, that you contact SA. I am sure they will fix it.
But, but, I don't want to give up my gun for however long it takes!:bawling:

Any ideas what SA's turnaround time is?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts