1911Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to Verify the age of this barrel? I am not sure if I am reading this correctly. Any assistance would be GREAT! It has a P stamped on the Top of the Barrel.
Office supplies Finger Tool Tints and shades Writing implement

·
Administrator
76,542 Posts
Colt military 1914-1918
Font Auto part Automotive exterior Drawing Circle

Reactions: Ky_Coal_Miner

·
Premium Member
16,615 Posts
Re-blued. They buffed the blue off the barrel and most of the hand-filing marks with it. I bet its still a nice-looking M1911 though.

·
Administrator
76,542 Posts
When the OP's grandfather brought it home in 1918 its value to future collectors was probably the last thing on his mind. I'm willing to bet he also took off the US Property stamp.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
my grandfather's pistol came with severance papers from the army. so not all were contraband. apparently they could be purchased or in some way transferred. his was shipped from colt in late 1912, and issued to him in 1917. i have no idea if it was new when he got it, but it never was in an arsenal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When the OP's grandfather brought it home in 1918 its value to future collectors was probably the last thing on his mind. I'm willing to bet he also took off the US Property stamp.
Yes he did, and my Father had the weapon Hand dipped in the 80's
Yes, it would be nice to see the rest of that Pistol.
Sure, I will post a Pic as soon as I gwt back to my house.

·
Administrator
76,542 Posts
Interestingly it has a post-1924 slide stop and short 'A1 trigger. Was your grandfather an officer perhaps? Many higher-ranking officers could purchase their own service pistols upon retirement, and if he retired after 1924 there might have been a point when he had the pistol repaired at an arsenal.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Wolfdogs,

Thank you for the picture.

The Receiver "was shipped from colt in late 1912". The Slide looks post about No 290000 Military (or 1918-1919 Commercial ?). The left Stock looks 1918-1919. The Barrel could/would go with the Slide if military.

Best Regards,

·
Premium Member
16,615 Posts
Wolfdogs,

Thank you for the picture.

The Receiver "was shipped from colt in late 1912". The Slide looks post about No 290000 Military (or 1918-1919 Commercial ?). The left Stock looks 1918-1919. The Barrel could/would go with the Slide if military.

Best Regards,
How do you know that without having the serial number or seeing the RH side of the frame?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
How do you know that without having the serial number or seeing the RH side of the frame?
We Don't Know,...that's the Point ! ;)

It Is a Quote from the OPs post # 8. Here's all of it: "my grandfather's pistol came with severance papers from the army. so not all were contraband. apparently they could be purchased or in some way transferred. his was shipped from colt in late 1912, and issued to him in 1917. i have no idea if it was new when he got it, but it never was in an arsenal."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interestingly it has a post-1924 slide stop and short 'A1 trigger. Was your grandfather an officer perhaps? Many higher-ranking officers could purchase their own service pistols upon retirement, and if he retired after 1924 there might have been a point when he had the pistol repaired at an arsenal.
My grandfather died before I was old enough to hear the entire story behind it. And yes, he served for about 10yrs. I know my father had some work done on it. But he died in 1988, when I was 16 yrs old. So most of what I know was told by my Fathers brothers. The true shame in all of this, is I did not pay as much attention when I was younger.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My grandfather died before I was old enough to hear the entire story behind it. And yes, he served for about 10yrs. I know my father had some work done on it. But he died in 1988, when I was 16 yrs old. So most of what I know was told by my Fathers brothers. The true shame in all of this, is I did not pay as much attention when I was younger.
Also the 1908 I know was given to my Grandfather in about 1932 by a friend of his. The story is around the same for my 16 guage Wingmaster. That I proudly own now, that was around 1935-36. I know I am just proud to have them in my collection. I honestly wish I knew more about these weapons. The foolishness of youth, in NOT caring still haunts me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i can join you in regret for not paying attention.
I used to listen to my Grandfather talk about things from the early 1900 up to and after.."The Great War" Then my Uncles talk about WWII and Korea, my Father talk about Vietnam. The only reason I paid attention was the hope of them talking about Combat. Wish I would have listened more to them when they Gave my Grandfather grief for what he did with the Mauser pistol. So much history lost....TRULY a shame

·
Premium Member
16,615 Posts
We Don't Know,...that's the Point ! ;)

It Is a Quote from the OPs post # 8. Here's all of it: "my grandfather's pistol came with severance papers from the army. so not all were contraband. apparently they could be purchased or in some way transferred. his was shipped from colt in late 1912, and issued to him in 1917. i have no idea if it was new when he got it, but it never was in an arsenal."
Hearsay is not 'knowing'. We won't know until we know the serial number.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts