1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lug around a fullsize, all steel 1911 14+ hours a day. In the past, I've used Mitch Rosens, Lou Alessi's, Rusty Sherrick, Kramer, Galco, Bianchi, Milt Sparks and various Kydex holsters. Some were very functional - while others were not.

During the winter, I can wear my Alessi CQC/S or Sherrick Tom Givens model all day long. Both have extra wide loops. I also use an Alessi CQC/I for my Kahr MK9. It's also very comfy (granted, the Kahr is a tiny gun). Furthermore, the Sherrick Givens and Alessi CQC/S work great with polo shirts in the summer but for very light shirts (in conjunction with my lean build), an IWB holster works better for ME.

The biggest drawback to carrying a big, heavy gun is obviously the weight and size. Carrying a concealed 1911 Gov't in the summer can be a challenge. During the winter, it's much more simplistic due to heavier clothing being the normal attire.

Milt Sparks holsters has been around for some time. They build some extremely comfortable and high quality leather holsters. In the past, I used the Summer Special. However, for carrying a big gun with my slender waist
I found the loops to be too close together. So the search went on for a comfortable IWB holster that dispersed the weight evenly.

I wore a Mitch Rosen ARG-DL for over a year. It spread the weight evenly across my belt but were missing snap loops. In the past, I traveled to airports often to meet CEO's and VP's from our customers. Without snap loops, it was a pain taking the holster off and on.

I then tried the Rosen USD, which has snap loops, but the loops were too close together!

Then I saw a picture of the perfect holster for me! - Milt Sparks Versa Max II! Chances are, I will never utilize the tuckable feature, the belt loops are spread so far apart, I can hardly tell that I'm wearing a holster. By the end of a long day, my body isn't fatigued the slightest bit. In addition, the snap loops make it a 'snap' to remove/wear. Lastly, it has just the right amount of cant to hug against my body for ultimate concealment.

I ordered mine in horsehide with shark trim. Personally, I find the combo very appealing to the eye and functional. The horsehide doesn't require any break in time.

Tony Kanaley (owner of Milt Sparks) and his crew are the best. They’ll talk to you for some length EVEN if you’re unsure whether you want one of their holsters. They’ll gladly answer questions and hopefully help you find the right holster for your body.

I have no working ties with Milt Sparks. My comments are just from a very happy customer and sharing my experience. Hopefully, it may help another individual with the skinny waistline, big gun 'problem'

PS
A quality gun belt is imperative. Otherwise, having a high quality holster is pointless!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I am so glad to hear this! They haven't even killed the horse yet, but my order is in for one of these. If it's to my liking, I promised Scott I'd order a belt.

I'm a man of my word, (Besides, my Wild Bill's belt is already worn out) so my belt order will probably be forthcoming.

Thanks for the great review. Very encouraging!

Callahan

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
If you can conceal THAT gun under a polo with your build then I shouldn't have any problem with my Champion.

I considered the VM II when I placed my order. Like you I didn't anticipate using the tuckable feature so I opted for the Watch Six - it was a tough decision between the two though. The offset loops on both models are what convinced me to give it a try... what a world of difference!

I'm not sure what my next 1911 will be, but I know what holster it'll ride in

Mac

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was considering the Watch Six too but wasn't too sure about the non-reinforced mouth-band so I went with the Versa Max II.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Timely post Son...just bought a used VMAX today...you can stuff a commander in it or a GM and forget it is there...and with the Hackathorn snatch it is really pretty fast for some bum pulling a fullsize 1911 out of jeans and a t shirt...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Thanks for your timely review. I'm dying to get one of these, and your review only confirmed what I had already suspected. I need to start re-building my holster allowance slush fund, so I can place the order. geegee

·
Registered
27,691 Posts
I carry full size 1911 most of the time. It is always in a VM II. Very best holster I have found. Just as an aside, while my waist is not near the size of Son's, it is still very comfortable and concealable.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Does the VM2 have any leather that protects your body from the thumb safety and slide?In Son's pic it looked like it didn't.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The great thing about this design is the fact you can wear it regardless of just about any waist size.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Hey Son, that holster is pure poetry. American craftsmanship and know-how is not gone, it is simply hiding out in great little shops like Tony's. I'd be darn proud to own that rig.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Son, great review, glad to hear you like it. Coincidentally, I just placed an order for a VM2 last Wednesday. Can't wait to try it out, as I've read nothing but good stuff about this holster.

On a related note, I called Milt Sparks and was quoted a wait time of 6-8 weeks for the VM2 for the full size 1911. I then contacted Allan Yoast, who is one of the retailers listed on the Sparks site. Turns out Allan had some in stock, so I'll get mine sometime next week. I also ordered one of the Sparks double thick belts in cordovan. Allan offered to send the belt with the holster, but not charge my credit card for the belt, until I was sure it's the one I want! Now that's great service! I highly recommend checking with Allan if you're in the market for Sparks stuff.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I highly recommend checking with Allan if you're in the market for Sparks stuff.

Where were you a week ago? I was quoted 6-10 weeks for delivery, which I'm stuck with now. Out of morbid curiosity, got a link to Allen Yoast's site?

Callahan

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Originally posted by Inspector Harry Callahan:

Where were you a week ago? I was quoted 6-10 weeks for delivery, which I'm stuck with now. Out of morbid curiosity, got a link to Allen Yoast's site?

Callahan
Callahan, the wait will only make you appreciate it that much more

Mac

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here's Allan Yoast's contact info, cut and pasted from the Sparks site:

Allan Yoast Firearms 3625 Duval rd., #1516, Austin, TX 78759. Phone (512)247-2049, Fax (512) 873-8391 [email protected]

Don't know if he's got a web site. See if he has what you want, then see if you can cancel your order with Sparks...it's not like they're not gonna be able to sell the holster later on.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Son,
Holy smokes guy!! If you was any skinnier we could have just replaced the snap loops with a buckle and billet and you could have dispensed with the belt altogether.

Seriously though, I'm glad you like your VM-2 enough to say such nice things about it.

Callahan,
We still haven't caught your horse yet. That's Scott's job him being the FNG and all. He got kicked in the head trying the other day, so if he seems a bit friendly on the phone lately, its cuz he's delirious.

No problem cancelling your order for your VM-2 if Alan has one in stock. I'm sure that we'ed find a home out there somewhere for it.

Thanks, all!

Tony

------------------
Milt Sparks Holsters, Inc.
www.miltsparks.com
[email protected]
Second Best is not an option

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have to agree with Son I have 32 inch waist and 5'10 and the VM-2 is great I prefer the watch six because it is slimmer and there is no problem reholstering or collapsing. The VM-2 cutout for tucking your shirt allows it to bend around your hip. I just ordered last month another VM-2 for a P7 to use only as a tuckable.
I have a Watch six made By Alessi and it will shape to your hip as good as the VM-2.
Thankyou Lou and Tony for such a great holster design and customer service.
Carlos

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Originally posted by CMC:
I have to agree with Son I have 32 inch waist and 5'10 and the VM-2 is great I prefer the watch six because it is slimmer and there is no problem reholstering or collapsing. The VM-2 cutout for tucking your shirt allows it to bend around your hip....Carlos
Oddly enough, I have the exact same built. Us "wirey" guys have a rough time holding our pants up to begin with, much less a large chunk of steel in the waistband.
I couldn't be happier with my Watch Six, but I do intend to give the VM-II a try just out of curiosity.

Mac

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Originally posted by T. Kanaley:
Callahan,
We still haven't caught your horse yet. That's Scott's job him being the FNG and all. He got kicked in the head trying the other day, so if he seems a bit friendly on the phone lately, its cuz he's delirious.

No problem cancelling your order for your VM-2 if Alan has one in stock. I'm sure that we'ed find a home out there somewhere for it.
LOL!! No way I'm cancelling. Scott catches sharks and alligators in addition to horses. He is not to be trifled with.
I appreciate the offer, but I'm stickin' with my original invoice. Besides, I'm in no real hurry anyhow. My new Colt needs to be torture tested a bit more before I'll trust it enough for CCW.

Keep up the great work.
Callahan

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
For an IWB, I love my VM2 as well. I have tried a number of different styles, and keep going back to the VM2 for the comfort, and the stability it provides...

I have used the Tuckable clips, as well as the loops, but tend to stay with the loops most of the time.

Here's mine ~

1 - 20 of 41 Posts