1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please enlighten me on the purpose of vertical striations on the front strap. If they run in the same direction as recoil forces it doesn't seem like it would do much.

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
I have them on my custom Series 70, and they work great on preventing the weapon from shifting in the hand. They're also not as hard on my fingers and joints as checkering. In other words, they provide "just enough" traction for me. Others who desire more traction of course will prefer checkering.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Agreed.

Keep in mind a lot of a .45's recoil is torque, which makes the pistol want to twist up and to the left when fired. Yes, physics tells us that recoil is straight back in line with bore axis - but our joints and muscles don't always agree with Newton. Vertical-grooved front straps help keep that twisting action to a minimum somewhat.

·
Banned
13,564 Posts
They work to some degree. My Series 70 Gold Cup has them and while not as effective for me as a checkering, it's still much better than a nekid front strap.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
Front strap serrations, I also like them. They are on my Colt. As mentioned above, they are better than a smooth front strap, and I don't care for checkering.

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
I had a frontstrap striated and did not get much out of it. So FLG went back over it and cross cut it into checkering. That was too sharp so I had him flatten the points of the diamonds. That gave me the traction I wanted, about like stippling but better looking.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
but our joints and muscles don't always agree with Newton.
Newtonian physics surely does apply to biomechanics. If it did not, phenomema like hysteresis, Wolff's law, and the Heuter-Volkmann principle would not exist. It is for this very reason that a right-handed pistol shooter's muzzle is expected to have a tendency to pull up and left.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Newtonian physics surely does apply to biomechanics. If it did not, phenomema like hysteresis, Wolff's law, and the Heuter-Volkmann principle would not exist. It is for this very reason that a right-handed pistol shooter's muzzle is expected to have a tendency to pull up and left.
Ummmm...yeah.....ok.

It was a joke - an attempt to say that human body sometimes has problems with the fundamental mechanics of physics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts