1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Dan Wesson Razorback and on the last outing it would lay some really outstanding vertical patterns. Like eight holes punched one on top of the other. It was really impressive in it's consistency :D

Needless to say it shouldn't do that so I've done some reading here in Gunsmithing Talk about vertical stringing. I need to get Kuhnhausen's book but haven't yet done so.

Since new I've noticed off-center firing pin strikes. I checked with the gun disassembled and found that with the slide upside down and the barrel laying in the slide with the bushing installed, the firing pin hits high. Assemble the barrel/slide to the frame and check and the pin hits low.

With the gun fully assembled you can push down on the barrel hood a good 1/32 inch, if not closer to 1/16in.

The barrel bushing has play in the slide in excess of .010 in every direction, including in-out. A small amount of peening of the slide noted where the bushing lug sits. This peening is toward the front.

Looking at the slide stop/link fit finds that the link is quite loose on the slide stop pin, something over .030 clearance. I used some gear marking compound to check where the barrel feet contact the slide stop. The contact was pretty much only on the lower 1/4 of the feet, favoring the RS foot. If I understand what's been said here in other threads correctly the slide stop should contact the barrel feet much higher up, actually in the curve of the feet. I believe the term that has been used is the "radius". One thing noticed while cycling the action is that the chamber end of the barrel can be seen to go up high and then lower a bit as the slide approaches battery.

So I suppose that what I am wanting to know is that this thing is going to need a new barrel fitted isn't it (along with a bushing)?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
With the gun fully assembled you can push down on the barrel hood a good 1/32 inch, if not closer to 1/16in.

So I suppose that what I am wanting to know is that this thing is going to need a new barrel fitted isn't it (along with a bushing)?
1/16" play is about .063. .063 on a 5" radius translates to just over 11 inches at 25 yards. Yup. that would cause to string vertically.

Odds are that you'll need to fit a new barrel, or weld and recut the lugs. Maybe, and I emphasize the word maybe, you can put in a shorter link and pull that baby down on the lugs. But you might loose too much engagement up top (in the slide)

Call DW and see if you can get warranty service.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
My first thoughts on this was barrel springing but with a barrel bushing that has .010 inside and .010 outside clearence I would not think that would be the case. However if you want to check for barrel spring, after you are sure the guns unloaded, assemble the barrel and bushing in the slide, place your thumb on the bottom of the chamber and push the barrel into lock up, release your thumb slowly and see if the barrel springs back against it. For the tolerances that your barrel and bushing has I would say the gun is deffinitely a canidate for a new barrel and bushing. If its a new gun I would talk to the manufacture and see if they would correct this.
Regards
Bob Hunter
(816) 675-2340
www.huntercustoms.com

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the opinions y'all. And I'll check for that spring-back from underneath, Bob.

I've decided that since it shoots straight for the most part I'll continue to use it until it either breaks something or the accuracy becomes totally unbearable (I mean I can still get all eight in the ten-ring). At that time I'll decide which custom 'smith will get this one. From the multiplicity of items that, while they work in the short term, are not quite "right" for longevity I doubt I'll send it back.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
FWIW, it sounds like your barrel is riding the link. Barrel to slide lockup should be controlled by the barrel foot camming up on the slide stop, not by the link. (In fact, the gun should go into battery and lock up without the link in place; the link is used for unlocking.) Locking up on the link causes variation in lockup that could definitely give vertical stringing and vertical movement of the barrel in battery. The bushing may need work, but the main problem is in the back.

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts