1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mr Alessi I've noticed that there are many horizontal shoulder holsters made by a number of people. I have also noticed that the verticle shoulder holsters seem to be fewer and fewer. Is the horizontal rig that much more popular and comfortable?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
My problem is most verticle rigs, when you can find them, are only for full size models and then they're built on an elastic "Y harness" with a wide strip laying across the back of your neck.

I've been trying to find a verticle rig for my Champion with an all leather "X-type" harness. Something like a Bianchi "Agent" harness with a verticle holster and off side mag pouches.

Flyfishing in chest waders brings up a need for a good verticle rig that's comfortable for all day wear.

Mac

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
You might consider the Kramer shirt for Flyfishing...

As for good leather verticle rigs, most are built for long barreled revolvers. I used to be a fan of shoulder rigs, but in the years since, got away from it. Finding a GOOD harness system is tough, and often, it needs to be custom fit for the user to be comfortable. Buying "Off-the-Shelf" can be tough...

Enjoy!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Oddjob, Verticle shoulder holsters have become almost obsolete where concealment is the issue. The horizontal shoulder rigs are actually better at concealing most handguns because they position the butt of the gun parallel to the body, instead of perpendicular to the body. All verticle rigs must be anchored to the belt, and because of this, they will tilt out from the body when sitting or moving from side to side. The only time they will lay flat against the body is when standing perfectly still. The butt tends to wobble and print through most clothing with any kind of movement.
Horizontal rigs when fitted properly can be comfortable, and much less restraining by not having to be anchored on the gun side.
Lou

------------------
Alessi Holsters, Inc.
You'll never know it's there, until you need it.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I have an Alessi vetical rig for my 2 inch smith and my Hi-Power (BTW Lou, both are circa 1983, purchased in Greenwhich, Conn. from Charlie over at Grannicks....don't know if he is still around since I've been in LA for the last 17 years) Anyway, not only are they very comfortable, but drawing from a vertical is much quicker than a horizontal. Also, you don't need to wear belted pants with one and many times I find myself throwing it on with sweat pants for a quick trip to the store..Don't carrry the P-35 anymore so I'm saving up for another rig for my P7....

BTW Lou, would you take a vintage Hi_power rig (maybe for your museum) for a partial trade?

[This message has been edited by P7 (edited 08-21-2001).]

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
I have a verticle rig only for my Desert Eagle. I wear the Rosen rig for all else. Black shark with cordovan trim. It's amazingly comfortable, well designed. It fits the gun snugly up under the arm with almost no motion at all. I'd highly recommend it.

------------------
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts