1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a member of this forum for many years and have made some of the best friends I have ever gained from here. Due to "life" I was absent for some months, just checking in on occasions because I am addicted to this forum. But, WOW have I been shocked to see so much division and anger on this Covid-19 sub-forum. Most of the friendly back and forth before this came along on here was guys debating about the usual stuff, brands of 1911's, ammo, barrel lengths, holsters, etc. I have perused my way thru this sub-forum and it kind of saddens me to see some of the insults and anger being hurled. I have seen this kind of stuff that went on, on some other gun forums back in the day and felt the way we stayed peaceful for the most part really set us apart. Just my thoughts and not to offend anyone at all.

Sincerely,

PastorDW

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oops. Meant to title this thread "Divisive". Could not edit the title.

PastorDW,

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sign of the times. The pandemic became instantly politicized.

All things being equal, I do believe we will get through this and mostly heal. Disease, and endemic outbreaks, is that unique human condition we have been strangely able to mostly avoid for the last 70 years (my mom is still a polio victim of sorts). Hopefully the damage will be limited through the efforts of the many gifted folks in the trenches.

Thanks to the control of the many on the forum to be reasonable. Thanks to the moderators for confining robust conversation to a single subtopic.

·
Super Moderator
14,047 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
The melee here is just a symptom of the highest levels of government and media lying to us for so long we don't know what to believe.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf and all that.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
The response to the virus (not the virus itself) has thrown our economy and cultural norms for a loop. Opinions are strong about all this. The real world has intruded into a forum that for many is a nice little diversion from life's problems. I have enjoyed and learned from the writings of some of the good thinkers here.

America was never Mayberry, but we could pretend for a while.....back in the days when the worst problem was Aunt Bee's misplacing the secret ingredient for her prize-winning pie for the state fair competition. :) Or the escaped felon who handcuffed Barney to a tree with his own handcuffs. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Sometimes people need to vent and the mods have given us a little leeway. These are strange times and we are all stressed not knowing the real truths and how and when things will go back to normal.

Any argument or rude comment I get on this forum never leaves my computer. Once I sign off its over.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The melee here is just a symptom of the highest levels of government and media lying to us for so long we don't know what to believe.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf and all that.
I wish I could agree that your reasoning is the only reason. Next time you need to call customer service for any reason, go ahead and ask them how often they get a patient, kind, and understanding phone call. It’s almost never; I know because I ask. We can blame Democrats, the media, or millennials, but this is just an oversimplification of a wider societal issue.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
First, good post; one that is worthy of reflection.

In my participation in this sub-forum (I was "here" quite a lot), I oftentimes had the same sentiments as you DW.

People's opinions sometimes become so strong that they excluded others' opinions from the realm of reasonableness. Not uncommon for a group with a lot of "Personality A" thinking. (We do have our opinions!)

Oftentimes, I thought there was likely truths in both sides.

And as I had/have no expertise in the subject, I attempted to listen to all perspectives.

In places where things went off-kilter, as I think you're accurately and courageously pointed out, I think there are some lessons to be learned...how to share, and how to receive, opinions when there are sharp differences of opinion.

It is an opportunity to absorb greater wisdom.. And do better another time; and not limited to one's participation in a website forum.

-----

Any argument or rude comment I get on this forum never leaves my computer. Once I sign off its over.
Very wise sentiments. +1911. And fortunately shared by most long-term "regulars" here. The disagreement in yesterday's football practice scrimmage is forgotten today.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I wish I could agree that your reasoning is the only reason. Next time you need to call customer service for any reason, go ahead and ask them how often they get a patient, kind, and understanding phone call. It’s almost never; I know because I ask. We can blame Democrats, the media, or millennials, but this is just an oversimplification of a wider societal issue.
I agree. Numerous times when I've called whomever they'll stay on the line and BS with me rather than go to the next whiner.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The frustration and anger about having our regular lives turned upside down, plus the fear of getting sick, have made many people less tolerant. Remember, we're all here because we share a common passion. Like my Dad used to say, "you'll regret more things you said than things you didn't say".

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Personally, I don't see any difference in the CV folder vs some other folders where large amounts of opinion and emotion are involved over actual "facts". I kinda think bickering is less in the CV folder actually.

That said I'll make a comment about SM in general:

It is the nature of Social-Media, some sights are much worse like FB and twitter...Social-Media lets loose the Hound's of Heck, brings out the worst in people (mob-mentality, egotism, etc., and maybe worst of all, ENORMOUS amounts of petty-judgments (Jesus said: Judge not, that ye be not judged))...Social Media probably should be outlawed, except things like the 1911 forum which are mostly technically orientated ;-)...The world would be a better-place overall.

At the very least the Huge SM platforms need to be "de-clawed", they have too much power over free-speech at this point and have showed over and over they are happy to impede the speech of Conservatives but support all sorts of hate speech out of the Left..

·
Registered
111 Posts
...Social Media probably should be outlawed, except things like the 1911 forum which are mostly technically orientated ;-)...The world would be a better-place.
Personally I would like to see forums limit any post to the purpose of the forum. If this is a handgun forum then I would ban any post not related to hanguns. There are plenty of other forums out there to discuss politics, covid, etc, etc.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The frustration and anger about having our regular lives turned upside down, plus the fear of getting sick, have made many people less tolerant. Remember, we're all here because we share a common passion. Like my Dad used to say, "you'll regret more things you said than things you didn't say".
I was just thinking about what you said. It’s a biblical principle to be careful with what you say. In this era, let’s say first 2020, then Covid, then racial inequality, now the forthcoming elections, people are indeed more anxious and fearful. Combine this with social media and the “mob” suddenly has a megaphone. Covid and 2020 just catalyzed the underlying reaction that was ready to go. I for one will not intentionally succumb to the fear. In this I will try to be patient, kind, and thoughtful. It’s not possible to do this a alone; my trust and hope is in the Lord Jesus Christ.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The written word and the spoken word are two different things. There's no tone or body language with the written word, thereby eliminating 2/3rds of communication. The emojis help, sometimes, but one can only go by what they read and how they interpret those words. Misinterpretations happen.

The anonymity of the internet gives some contributors incentive to bait and instigate. When someone implies, on line, that they'll punch another member in the throat if given the chance, it's hard to ignore that. I didn't ignore it, responded accordingly, and predictably exacerbated the already bad situation. Luckily, our Moderators are pretty reasonable and generous fellows, and they very professionally advised me to cease and desist. Which I did. There were several of us who were getting pretty spooled up about Covid-19.

I sometimes ask my children if I'm becoming a grumpy old man. I sure as heck don't want to be. I live amongst a bunch of other senior citizens in my neighborhood. What an argumentative, intolerant, unyielding bunch they are. The 1911 has been around for a long time. I'm 65 and guessing that many of us on the Forum are my age or older. That's a tough group to debate with. When you have an issue as contentious as Covid 19, there's bound to be hard feelings. We can all make resolutions to avoid conflict on the Forum, but sometimes we don't.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
You guys need to just chill out and wait.

COVID 19, the riots, ammo shortages and all the other man made crap that's going on right now will magically just disappear after the presidental election in November.

Until then, get some popcorn and enjoy the show.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Personally I would like to see forums limit any post to the purpose of the forum. If this is a handgun forum then I would ban any post not related to hanguns. There are plenty of other forums out there to discuss politics, covid, etc, etc.
Understood, but with this crap being the main topic of the day for 6 months, it had a tendency to “infect” discussions on other sub forums. I think the mods did the right thing to establish the CV sub forum. You can deposit your frustrations with this nightmare there and keep it out of the other areas. As far as the bickering goes, that’s what happens when certain individuals completely disregard fact, choose to believe the media and make outlandish statements.

·
Super Moderator
14,047 Posts
Understood, but with this crap being the main topic of the day for 6 months, it had a tendency to “infect” discussions on other sub forums. I think the mods did the right thing to establish the CV sub forum. You can deposit your frustrations with this nightmare there and keep it out of the other areas. As far as the bickering goes, that’s what happens when certain individuals completely disregard fact, choose to believe the media and make outlandish statements.
My own personal opinion, and I think it is very close to PastorDW's observation, is that the bickering happens when folks forget "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" - something mankind has never practiced very well.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.