1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into getting a vest to help conceal my 1911. I live in the Pacific North West and in the few warm months we have, I need something to wear over my t-shirt and jeans. Does anyone else here do this? If so, what make of vest do you wear? I've looked at the Coronado vests and they're not really my style. I do like the look of the Coronado "Safari" vest, but I sure don't have $250 to spend on a vest.

I've looked at the Concealed Carry Clothiers, and they look way too loose and long. To me these really do scream "I'm wearing a gun". Are there any other viable alternatives? Do the photographer's vests scream "gun" these days?

After some searching I can't find anything. If this has already been covered, could someone direct me to that thread?

Any help is appreciated. I'm also open to other suggestions. I currently wear my 1911 in a Askin's Avenger belt rig. I don't have an IWB holster yet, other than the belly band I use when carrying my Mak.

Thanks in advance!

------------------
PropellerHead
GOA, NRA Molon Labe

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
The problem with a short vest is that you run the risk of exposing your blaster. A good IWB goes a long way in that department. Does a vest scream "I'm carrying"? Sure, but mainly to other gun guys. If you want a short, very lightweight vest, Royal-Robbins makes one that's very nice.

·
Registered
691 Posts
How bout an IWB holster and a loose-fitting untucked button-up shirt. Its stylish, and should conceal reasonably well. The down-side is that you'll have to lift the shirt with your off-hand before you draw. IMO, you won't have to draw often enough for this to be a factor.

Another alternative is wearing just a Hawaiian type shirt untucked. It fits loosely, and works well even on the beach. The downside of this is you may get shot for breaking fashion law.

------------------
-Electric Armadillo-

·
Registered
429 Posts
I wear an IWB holster for just that reason. I live in TX and the heat around here is unbearable at times so I don't want to add anymore clothes then I have to. So I got myself an IWB and all I need is a shirt one size larger then what I usually wear to conceal both my 1911 and my mag carrier. With a bit of practice you'de be suprised how smoothly you can draw two or one handed. Plus, it helps to remind me to always have my gun one because when I don't my pant's are too loose. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
You don't need to spend a mint on a vest. I picked up three athletic style vests from WalMart for $15 each and they are very cool in hot weather and conceal the gun nicely.
They also do NOT scream "gun" to anyone, even "gunny" people, because wearing vests is sort of "in" right now and especially in the PNW.

------------------
A man with a watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches isn't so sure

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have been all over the US and vests do not scream GUN! To anyone, with the possible exception of an educated gun person--and that does not include cops.

Last year on my 30 day trip out west, I saw vests on people from 5 to 95. Men, women, children, etc. Even the bears wore vests.

I have had a permit for more than 30 years in Indiana, and in the early sixties, in Michigan. Wear a vest most days, and all over the country, never been stopped, or never flashed the gun. I carry daily. GLV

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have several vest I use in the texas heat. One I picked up form a Gun show that Includes a Built in holster on one side and 2 mag holders on the other in all in quick access inside pockets. This works good.

I picked up one at Old Navy in off season for $8, another at walmart off season for $5 and both work well and conceal well.

My favorite is an old Lee overall jacket with the sleaves cut off at the seam.

------------------
Jerk

If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem!

[This message has been edited by Jerk (edited 05-21-2001).]

·
Registered
550 Posts
Most of the folks I know who carry concealed here in Florida wear an untucked and unbuttoned shirt over the rig. This is reasonably comfortable, while allowing ready access to the pistol. You just have to watch that the wind doesn't lift your shirt too much. If that becomes a problem on a windy day outdoors, you can always button one button about waist level.

The local IDPA club starts each match with three timed single shots from concealment on a 3 yard target. Most of us use the same weapon and clothing arrangement we normally wear on the street, which is good practice. It is not difficult to make good center hits in 1.3 seconds.

If you need the pistol to defend yourself some day, fast access will probably seem important at the time.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I wear a Domke photographer's vest. Frankly, I need all the pockets for all the stuff I carry. I've had people ask me if I'm a photographer. Other gunnies know that I'm carrying. But the average person doesn't have a clue.

M1911

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Everyone,

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm just going to have to go look at a number of different vests and shirts. I guess I'm also going to have to pony up the dough for a good IWB holster. That will make all of this a lot easier. But that also means I'm going to have to loose weight or buy bigger pants.

Well, I've got a little while to get all of this done. I'm still waiting to get my new SA Loaded back from the 'smith with an ambi-safety.

------------------
PropellerHead
GOA, NRA Molon Labe

·
Registered
963 Posts
Yes, you DEFINITELY need to buy a quality IWB holster and just as importantly, a quality holster BELT. The belt is the key to everything. A good one will allow you to carry a full size 1911 comfortably with no worries of major shifting or printing, while a bad one will make it torture.

------------------
A man with a watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches isn't so sure

·
Registered
691 Posts
About bigger pants,

You can find surplus army cargo pants at an army-navy store anywhere in the nation. You can usually get them for $20-$30, and they have an adjustable waistband. The extra pockets are handy for mags, and are even large enough to drop in a full size 1911 (just in case the holster breaks). In the summer, you can make them into cut-offs.

Rik hit it on the head about a good belt. Mine is a normal belt, and it sags under the extra weight at IDPA matches, its not very comfortable, and I have to cinch it tighter than I'd like to compensate. If I were to carry every day, I'd recommend the double thick belt.
------------------
-Electric Armadillo-

[This message has been edited by Electric_Armadillo (edited 05-22-2001).]

·
Registered
550 Posts
The Milt Sparks VM2 has a quite thin profile, due to its unique design, and does not require a larger waistband for me. Other IWB holster designs I have tried do need a larger waistband (and belt), but I haven't tried them all.

The VM2 does not seem to need as heavy a belt as other designs, but is still more comfortable with a heavy gunbelt than without for all day wear.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Double Naught Spy,

Thank you very much for posting the ORVIS site. I have looked all over creation for vests like those and never had any luck.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Patrickl, you are quite welcome! Orvis is far from cheap, but they do make some really good things (some marginal too, unfortunately). The vests they have do seem to fall in the the very good category.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Since you live in the northwest blend in with your culture. A photo vest might make you stand out. Go with something that will make you blend in NOT stand out.

So wear an Eddie Bauer vest or shirt or a Filson vest (Nothing but the Best) since they both are headquartered in your state!

Summer time wear an untucked shirt square bottomed over a tee shirt.

Finally, support your state and buy some Kramer leather. It is awesome if you're into leather or Blade-Tech if your into plastic. Again, support your state!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts