1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a video that show how to completely strip a 1911. When I say completely stripping down a 1911, I am talking about taking apart everything.

Maybe even show how to polish some of the parts.

I found some YouTube videos but was looking for maybe a DVD or something along that line.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

got to taking everything apart and stopped before I got to the sear. Might try it again tomorrow.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Taking them apart is easy with a few simple tools. Its getting everything back together right that takes a little skill and patience. Word of advice, get a long set of tweezers to help in sitting in the fire control parts as fingers are a little big. Good thing is that once you do it, you will never again be afraid to strip it completely down. Just make sure to do a full safety and fire check when reassembled.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Also as you are new to this, note little things like how much the mainspring housing pops out after you take the pin out, direction (left to right or right to left) for each of the pins, orientation of any series 80 parts... None of this is crucial but it will save you a few minutes of wondering. If you do have series 80 parts, one of the YouTube videos shows a nice trick with toothpick to line up sear, disconnect and the pesky part. Note in particular the hammer and strut positions during re-assembly stages. I still get the hammer down every now and then before the strut and mainspring are fully seated. If this happens, you have to take out the mainspring and sear spring and start again.., dont try to force the hammer up.

Be careful when taking out the thumb safety and putting it back - the pesky spring will fly out during disassembly and get in your way during re-assembly. Again a toothpick or something to keep the spring in as you position the thumb safety back.

Not at all complicated - just many little things that matter depending on the fit of various parts... In many videos the guns have been broken in, the fit has settled, so it's easy peasy. A new gun with tight fit or an un-naturally tight fit - you got some delicate and patient work to do...try wrestling a Les Baer with 500 rounds through this process and you will know what I mean.

And final thought - if you feel you need a hammer or a lever (like a screw driver edge) for ANYTHING other than getting mainspring pin in / out - you are doing something wrong or your gun has an un-natural fit. You have to wiggle the thumb safety out for instance - but you should never need a tool.

Just some additional thoughts from a noob,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts