1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up some Viht 310 at Camp Perry. Dealers said that it "is/was" the popular powder for .45. If so, what are the min/max listing for 200gr bullets?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Load 4.5 or 4.6 and a 200 H&G 68 bullet. I used it in testing guns for my book, and it was (using the Oregon Trails bullet) the most accurate load of the bunch.

Your velocity may vary, so check over a chrono to be sure, but I got 840 fps with 4.6 gr. 1.250" OAL.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, will give it a go.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Patrick?????

Patrick good morning,
I have been looking for a way to contact you for weeks now and low and behold I see your a member of this forum. First off I love your book. In your book you reference the Caspian loads as I have a custum 45 commander built by George at EGW. You state (page 207) that the oregon trail 200 L-SWC 4.5 viht N-310 was quite a impressive load but in your reply on the forumn you say H&H 68 BULLET was the load im a little confused as to which bullet you actually got those great results. I am in the process of getting a Dillon 550 press and before hand am gathering info on 45 loads. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Mike
[email protected]

·
Registered
73 Posts
Patrick Sweeney said:
Load 4.5 or 4.6 and a 200 H&G 68 bullet. I used it in testing guns for my book, and it was (using the Oregon Trails bullet) the most accurate load of the bunch.

Your velocity may vary, so check over a chrono to be sure, but I got 840 fps with 4.6 gr. 1.250" OAL.
Patrick good morning,
I have been looking for a way to contact you for weeks now and low and behold I see your a member of this forum. First off I love your book. In your book you reference the Caspian loads as I have a custum 45 commander built by George at EGW. You state (page 207) that the oregon trail 200 L-SWC 4.5 viht N-310 was quite a impressive load but in your reply on the forumn you say H&H 68 BULLET was the load im a little confused as to which bullet you actually got those great results. I am in the process of getting a Dillon 550 press and before hand am gathering info on 45 loads. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Mike
[email protected]

·
Registered
87 Posts
310 is excellent (accuracy, consistency, metering in my 550) in my 5.5" P220 Sport and 4" STI Ranger II. I have worked extensively with Bullseye and Titegroup and far prefer the VVn310. I am using a fairly light load so it does burn a bit dirty. 4.3 gr, Fed150, Starline, Nos JHP .451 185gr, 1.210". Being a light load I have used it with 200 gr. (and its well within spec) in the past but I prefer the 185. Easier on the gun and more accurate for me.

Work with the 310, I am sure you'll be pleased. Whip up 50 rounds with a couple of different charges and give it a try. If you don't like it, I will gladly swap you for my Titegroup and Bullseye (you get two for one, fresh and properly stored).

Mike

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Vv N310

I load my 200 gr LSWC (H&G 068) with 3.7 gr of VV N310 with excellent results on both my Les Baer PII and my Kimber Team Match II.
Of course I use a 13 lb recoil spring and a 18 lb hammer spring.
Very accurate load and no failures in my guns.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Patrick Sweeney said:

so would it be safe to say a plated Rainer 200gSWC under 4.6g would have the same or close to 840fps. I try to reload 800fps and up

·
Registered
983 Posts
It certainly has served me well, and I post it frequently ;)

Next time I actually load up some .45 though, I'll probably back off to 4.4gr or even 4.3gr. I don't really need 176PF!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm using 4.6 of N310 and Win Large Pistol Primers behind a lasercast 200lswc. 1.250 for an OAL. Accurate, clean and extremely consitent. Avg 900fps from my five inch guns, 850 for the 4 inchers and the standard deviation for 40 rounds was a whopping 4.8fps! Chronoed at 5000ft elevation, 60f.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Mr. Sweeney,

Don't want to hi-jack your post. But need to know the advantages of VV N310 over VV N320.

Dan0

·
Registered
816 Posts
Dan0 said:
Mr. Sweeney,

Don't want to hi-jack your post. But need to know the advantages of VV N310 over VV N320.

Dan0

I like to know also as the VV load data pamplet only listed VV320 and up powders.

Is the VV320 just as perferred, or do I need to buy both

·
Registered
87 Posts
310 is faster. there is not necessarily an advantage. You will need to try in your guns and develope a good load for your application. What has been posted should be used as a reference for where to safely start. A Chrono is required for any serious load developement.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I'm always happy to read about 45 ACP and N310.
With my Colt 1991 5" and 200 LSWC bullets I like a lot 3.8 grains of N310 if you want a light load, and 4.5 grains for an heavy one. WW WLP primers, OAL 1.250".
I plan to test these loads in a 6" pressure gun, to measure their pressure.
When possible, I'll print here my results.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Patrick Sweeney said:

Good book! I've found as you have that 4.6 is extremely accurate with H&G 68s. However it is on the hot side for my application. An excellent target load for 185gr bullets is in the 3.9 to 4.2 range. I haven’t experimented much with the Vit powders, but it is on my list of things to do…

·
Registered
816 Posts
Maj Tom said:
Good book! I've found as you have that 4.6 is extremely accurate with H&G 68s. However it is on the hot side for my application. An excellent target load for 185gr bullets is in the 3.9 to 4.2 range. I haven’t experimented much with the Vit powders, but it is on my list of things to do…

Ok that it, now I have to buy some VV 310 & 320 and load test Rainer 200 plated SWC, I had excellent results recently using BE & TG with the said bullet. VV should be fun, I like to know if CCI is using VV powder since the case are so clean after fire.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts