1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never used any of their powders, but while looking through some data, I noticed something that caught my eye. Their .45 Colt data shows that a max charge of 11.2g of N350 will drive a 250g XTP to around 1050 out of a 6" barrel. The thing that got my attention is that this load is not listed as +p or "Ruger, Freedom Arms, etc only". I've used Hodgdon powders for years, but their data doesn't even show anything close.

Whats the deal here? Does VV make "uber powder" or are they simply giving data for real full power .45 Colt loads and not the weenie loads that are so typical any more?

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
Or they are wildly optimistic, CIP test procedures versus real guns.
I have not gotten the claimed velocity out of any Vihtavuori powder.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Agent6-3/8 said:
I've never used any of their powders, but while looking through some data, I noticed something that caught my eye. Their .45 Colt data shows that a max charge of 11.2g of N350 will drive a 250g XTP to around 1050 out of a 6" barrel. The thing that got my attention is that this load is not listed as +p or "Ruger, Freedom Arms, etc only". I've used Hodgdon powders for years, but their data doesn't even show anything close.

Whats the deal here? Does VV make "uber powder" or are they simply giving data for real full power .45 Colt loads and not the weenie loads that are so typical any more?
What V V once did was publish reasonable data, makign the ASSUMPTION that the user would only load with the utmost caution and would only fire the reload in a modern, high quality gun, in excellent condition.

The US companies, who are accustomed to constant lawsuits by the likes of people who are (for example) too stupid to know that McDonalds Hot Coffee is actually hot & it might even burn you if spilled, are too afraid/"risk averse" to publish the same data.

Would the V V published be safe in a modern gun like a Ruger Blackhawk in good mechanical order? Of course. That is why it is published.

But, knowing our court system, some idiot will load over the max and try these loads in a worn out original .45 Colt form the 1800s and then blame V V, and a lawsuit would ensue.

I've used V V for 8 years now. It is excellent, consistent, safe powder from a country that knows and LOVES guns. I have NEVER had an issue with this excellent powder or the company data. You can trust their published loads. And yes, their velocity is higher than the litigation-shy US companies will allow you to see.

Regards,

D.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

TY44934, I'd say you're absolutely correct. I was looking at some old Hodgdon data a few days ago and noticed the max charges for the .45 Colt were a few grains higher.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
V- powders also list the test bbl as a 6" and that's one of the reasons they "out velocity" a lot of other powders. I like them, but they're tooo $$$$$! Tracy

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
I have been using VV for a while now. Mostly with 45 ACP but a little with many other handgun calibers for friends and fellow shooters. The powder is awesome for most any handgun round. I personally really like N310. I did some 250 XTP's with 11 grains of 350 and they were still easy on the tendons. A fun round to mess with.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Colt Lover, did you chrono thoses by any chance? My current woods loads for my .45 Colt S&W Mountain Gun is a 250g RNFP(need to pick up some keith style bullets) over 10.4g HS-6. Seems like a pretty good load, but the HS-6 doesn't completely burn in the 4" barrel and there are a lot of left over powder flakes. I've been looking for other options and have been considering W231/HP-38 but this particular VV load got my attention. I like the XTP, but I reckon for .45 Colt velocities, I'd best stick to a keith style hard cast for a woods load.

·
Registered
555 Posts
If you notice, all VV data in thier manuals is developed with test barrels on universal recievers built to min CIP dimensions. You won`t, no way, no how, get the same velocities from your sloppy mass produced chamber and barrel they get, especially if you shoot a revolver with the addition of a barrel/ cylinder gap.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Agent6-3/8 said:
Colt Lover, did you chrono thoses by any chance?
Sorry, sir. I did not. That's why I didn't post velocity. They seemed to be doing about 1000fps or so, which is sorta pushin' it for S&W 25's. Any faster and you will start shaving lead with softer cast bullets as they upset at the throat. They banged the poppers mighty hard but they were still controllable.

I had 4 S&W 25's a year ago; bought them all in a 2 week period when I was searching for a good large caliber defensive revolver.

(2) 4" 25-5's
(1) 6" 25-5
(1) 5" 25-7 w/unfluted cylinder model of 1989

I didn't know it at the time but shooting and reloading the 45 Colt was a little more work and tweaking than I bargained for and 3 of my guns had .454 barrels and .453 throats (very common in 25-5's) so they didn't much like factory ammo except the Win 246 gr RNL. 2 of them were built up by Hamilton Bowen and the S&W Performance Center with fitted Spegal Presentation Cocobolo Grips. Absolutely beautiful with glass smooth actions and...they shot like $hit. I'm mean I would not have carried them in a phone booth! I eventually worked up a good load using a local cast but in the end, I moved them because they just didn't fit my needs and the old timers I shoot with were drooling tobacco juice on them all night and they wound up buying all of them from me. I almost kept the 5" because it shot better but I found a Mountain gat in 45ACP that fit my IDPA battery nicely.

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
two of my favorite books

Vihta's 2nd and 4th Edition Reloading Guides.

Work UP! slow......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts