1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha from the Land of the Morning Calm....

I have a Commander type slide, in the white, that I am thinking about using to build a gun from- It has slanted rear serrations, and is marked 45 Auto Viking Combat.

Anyone ever heard of such a slide? Experience? Opinions?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
WELCOME!!!!!

Glad you could join us. I can't tell you much about Viking pistols, other than it seems to me that they made one with a hooked trigger guard and a slide mounted safety.

·
Registered
694 Posts
The Viking Combat is from Omega Defense Industries, which if I am not mistaken used a copy of he Seecamp double action. I bought one of the slides from Gun Parts Corp, and used it to build up one of their chopped (detonics sized) Essex frames. It turned out well. I did not like the markings on the slide so I draw filed them off. By the way, the "in the white" slide is stainless steel.

Byrd

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! Thanks for such a warm welcome!

A couple of questions-

1. Any problems using this with an alloy frame? I have a Caspian frame that I have used for another gun- getting another frame here to Korea is NOT an option due to severe restrictions here in country. Looks like I will have one frame and two top-ends to choose from for the time being...

2. What type of sights have you seen used on this type of slide?

This forum is a Goldmine of info!

·
Registered
694 Posts
You might run into fitting problems with an aluminum frame if the slide it too tight, but files and stones (on the slide) could correct that. That being said, I have no experience in fitting up aluminum frames, so other advise is needed!

As to the sights, the rear is a standard 1911 dovetail, and when I built mine up I used 3 or 4 different ones to get it to hit to point of aim. The front uses a narrow tennon stake on sight, but it is kind of funky in that the hole the sight tennon goes in is recessed in the slide, and I had to fit the sight to the hole before I staked the sight to the slide.

Hope this made sense and helped!

Byrd

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the Tips!

Right now, the slide/frame fit OK- I want to make sure that the barrel and extractor will pass muster. I had a Wilson bullet proof extractor and a new Storm Lake barrel which I have "dropped in", but I will send them to a real gunsmith to ensure that these are fit correctly.

Any ideas on lo mount sights, or night sights? Will I be pretty much restricted to standard GI type sights? I have Novak's on my standard slide and I love 'em!

Semper Fi!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts