1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 527 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Corona beer?! Is this really "breaking news?"

I think this is a serious regional health risk that needs to be addressed properly before it gets widespread. I am not too worried about us here in the US...yet.
The seasonal flu is still a greater risk, but the media needs clicks/viewers. What concerns me is that the Chinese are so secretive & present a false front to the world.
This is possibly in my region. I work in automotive retail and our store foot traffic was way down yesterday. Next door is a fast food restaurant and they said dining room is way down and drive thru is way up.

The latest conspiracy theory around town is that the 2 students in isolation tested positive and the school is keeping it quiet.

·
Premium Member
7,116 Posts
If you always employ universal precautions, which is always the case whether we’re dealing with the flu bugs, or the latest super bugs, risk is minimal. The problem is people who haven’t a clue, and continue to cough sneeze and hack all over, and dont wash their hands.
Btw, Purell, isnt washing your hands. Many offices in my building have signs on the door asking those with “flu like “ symptoms to wear a mask or reschedule.
Identify, contain, cure is what the CDC’s mantra is, and they do a good job imho.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm not saying the Corona virus doesn't require attention, but more people will die in 2020, in the US, and world wide from the Flu, and complications from the flu than will die from the Corona virus.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Have any of you watched anything other than English news channels?
My wife and I were watching the Spanish news channels the other night and they were showing videos of bodies in the streets. Men in white suits were pulling up in weird looking vans and loading them in. And the guys doing it would not touch the bodies. They were using specialized shovels to scoop em up with. Also showed several videos from security cameras over there in China of people that were standing and fell flat over on their faces and didn’t move afterward. Same men in weird vans came and scooped them up to.
Honestly they have admitted to 8,000 cases and 170 dead. I think it’s probably a lot more. Because if it gets really bad China is the kind of country that will just disappear a few million people and nobody will ever know.
Lastly the fact they diverted the plane with Americans from Wuhan that was going to land at a civilian airport to a military base is kinda worrisome.
I guess we just don’t know and probably again since it’s origin is in China we will never know the real story on it.
What I do know I don’t really want to take an overseas summer vacation anymore like I normally do.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
<snip>

Many medical people feel as "Flight Medic" does, that is nothing but a "cold". Since I read the same thing on another form from a poster whose wife is an RN, with a Master's in Nursing. She, and all the medical people she works with want to know what the big deal is? It's just a cold.
</snip>
OK, you make it sound like I was comparing this to the "sniffles". I WAS NOT.

The message I was trying to get across was, if you're generally in good health, the Coronavirus WILL NOT KILL YOU, and there's no need to "hunker down".

However, I never implied there weren't deaths directly related to the strain, or that there wasnt concern for certain regions of the globe or specific demographics of the population. This is a nasty virus that WILL wreak havoc on a compromised or weakened immune system.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Common sense precautions are good. Panic is bad.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...-patients.html

Quote:
Clinical Presentation

There are a limited number of reports that describe the clinical presentation of patients with confirmed 2019-nCoV infection, and most are limited to hospitalized patients with pneumonia. The incubation period is estimated at ~5 days (95% confidence interval, 4 to 7 days). Frequently reported signs and symptoms include fever (83–98%), cough (76%–82%), and myalgia or fatigue (11–44%) at illness onset. Sore throat has also been reported in some patients early in the clinical course. Less commonly reported symptoms include sputum production, headache, hemoptysis, and diarrhea. The fever course among patients with 2019-nCoV infection is not fully understood; it may be prolonged and intermittent. Asymptomatic infection has been described in one child with confirmed 2019-nCoV infection and chest computed tomography (CT) abnormalities.

Risk factors for severe illness are not yet clear, although older patients and those with chronic medical conditions may be at higher risk for severe illness. Nearly all reported cases have occurred in adults (median age 59 years). In one study of 425 patients with pneumonia and confirmed 2019-nCoV infection, 57% were male. Approximately one-third to one-half of reported patients had underlying medical comorbidities, including diabetes, hypertension, and cardiovascular disease.

Clinical Course

Clinical presentation among reported cases of 2019-nCoV infection varies in severity from asymptomatic infection or mild illness to severe or fatal illness. Some reports suggest the potential for clinical deterioration during the second week of illness. In one report, among patients with confirmed 2019-nCoV infection and pneumonia, just over half of patients developed dyspnea a median of 8 days after illness onset (range: 5–13 days).

Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) developed in 17–29% of hospitalized patients, and secondary infection developed in 10%. Between 23–32% of hospitalized patients with 2019-nCoV infection required intensive care for respiratory support. Some hospitalized patients have required advanced organ support with invasive mechanical ventilation (4–10%), and a small proportion have also required extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO, 3–5%). Other reported complications include acute cardiac injury (12%) and acute kidney injury (4–7%). Among hospitalized patients with pneumonia, the case fatality proportion has been reported as high as 11–15%. However, as this estimate includes only-hospitalized patients, and therefore is biased upward.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I don't think we need to "Panic", but America DOES need to exercise "Due Caution" and Honor The Threat.

If we don't, we run the danger of a repeat of the 1918 H1N1 Pandemic.
That killed 50 Million People and sickened 500 Million.
With a third of the worlds population sickened and 6% of the worlds population killed by that pandemic, a similar result would mean that 2.57 BILLION People would be sickened and 462 MILLION will die.

We don't need a repeat of that.

For some decent information, go to:

https://www.sciencealert.com/this-chart-shows-how-the-wuhan-virus-compares-to-other-recent-outbreaks?fbclid=IwAR39zbj4nRW6zouoBsiWFjplp35t7e1zM-9Iqj7wWUUYoU5qFySKx0pi11w

While CDC considers 2019-nCoV a serious situation and is taking preparedness measures, the immediate risk in the U.S. is considered low, based on what we know. Everyone should always take simple daily precautions to help prevent the spread of respiratory illnesses.

To learn more about prevention, see https://bit.ly/37Ay6Cm.

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
There isn't A coronavirus. It's a class of viruses that were discovered in the 1960s. Most are usually a nasty respiratory infection but not all that dangerous. This is the latest and maybe the worst of the bunch, the Novela Coronavirus or 2019-nCoV. It does have two somewhat well known cousins that appeared over the past decade or so. MERS and SARS.

I find the CDC infographic somewhat ironic now that the FDA said to stop advertising the alcohol based hand sanitizers are killing the flu and a few others since that would mean it's a drug and not properly tested.

·
Premium Member
15,138 Posts
Yeah, this ain't 'the big one' but with the overcrowding in the 'live in filth' areas of the world, the big one is coming. Those who hope to survive the 'big one' should prepare for it pretty much as they would prepare for any other planet-wide event. One of the best things you can do is learn how to be self-sufficient and relocate to a sparsely-populated area, like the Yukon or something. Old bastards like me will sit it out, hoping to pop a few looters before meeting our end. :)

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Never really drank a lot of foreign beers. I am glad to be a Pabst Blue Ribbon Guy. I have no worries here in Alabama.

·
Banned
368 Posts
china is a communist country.. they hid the fact that the peoples revolution after ww2 slaughtered 10s of millions in the name of political correctness.

If china says 1,000 died,,,, id multiply by 3.

remember the chinise olimpics.... they destroyed an entire ecosystem, diverted entire rivers for the summer water events, and displaced 2 million people, and it only got perhaps 3 paragraphs online.

·
Banned
368 Posts
Common sense precautions are good. Panic is bad.
yes common sense is a decided factor to follow here.

If it wears a sports uniform and kneels,,,, it gets shot.

It if shuffles, wears a face mask and coughs.... it gets shot.

if it wants to raise taxes,,, it gets shot. Hell, if just talks about being from government it should be shot on site. gotta stop the infection somehow.

21 - 40 of 527 Posts