1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Adventurer is a large Swiss Army Folder, with a sliding lock release button on the handle. I love these, & Sort of have 2(one is hiding somewhere) I Try to rotate keeping one sharpened, while carrying the other. I like them because of the superior Vitorinox fit & finish, & the obvious usefulness of the tools it contains. It is of similar size to the Vitorinox Parachutist which I also own, but I prefer the Adventurers Lock, to the Parachutists Liner Lock. Not a fan of liner locks that can be accidentally released in handling while using. Also the Adventurer & the Parachutist are large enough to use for an effective self defense weapon. I am never without mine, & use it for something, opening letters & other duties, daily. I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I've been using the Victorinox Trekker for years and love it. Great quality and features. Even if I don't have a picture to post?

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
I never got the love for SAKs until I bought my first one in the MFO Force Exchange at North Camp back in 87/88. I bought it mainly because I was stuck in the Sinai for a year (permanent party) and was starting to buy pocket knives there out of boredom and missing good ole American outdoorsy stuff. That was when I realized what a wonderful thing a properly made and genuine Swiss Army Knife was.

I carried a SAK Swiss Champ for many years on a belt. As I got older I found I prefer less weight and even less on my belt so stopped carrying it. However, I still have one that goes in my range bag or pack. I tend to carry a traditional slipjoint pocket knife for EDC, but for some occasions I'll swap it out for a Victorinox Tinker. I will also rotate the Tinker into EDC use for a few months at times as it carries very well. I also keep a Trekker in my saddlebag on my motorcycle.

I've had and like Wengers, but find the Victorinox to be just a tiny bit more refined. Both are great knives though.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look up a perfect one.

Then we do not believe that you have it.
Please. Swiss Army Knives are not exactly bragging knives, & fact is mine is seriously worn. It would be like showing a raggedy Ford at a concourse.The badge is rubbed off the handle & there's plenty of scratches everywhere. Suggest you Google it to see pristine pix. It is the only big one with the handle button lock.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I also have a Trekker, but not for EDC...that slot has been filled since '05 by a sliver Alox Soldier...and AmosIW, it is a thin slip joint.

:D

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
I also have a Trekker, but not for EDC...that slot has been filled since '05 by a sliver Alox Soldier...and AmosIW, it is a thin slip joint.

:D
Alox Soldier, mmmm. I haven't added one in yet, but that is a classic, real EDC knife. I've seen some really lovely customizing done on the ALOX scales.

Maybe I should treat myself to an Alox Soldier for Christmas. :D

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Alox Soldier, mmmm. I haven't added one in yet, but that is a classic, real EDC knife. I've seen some really lovely customizing done on the ALOX scales.

Maybe I should treat myself to an Alox Soldier for Christmas. :D
Don't know if you'll be able to get one. I heard they changed the design a few years back to the Trekker type. I hear good things about the Farmer though.

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
Don't know if you'll be able to get one. I heard they changed the design a few years back to the Trekker type. I hear good things about the Farmer though.
If the Farmer carries as nice I wouldn't mind that one at all. I've come to love the wood saw on the SAKs and appreciate a punch on carry knife that might go other than just around town. Besides, I was raised on a farm so it would be appropriate.

Looks like the Alox Soldier is now the Pioneer. Same configuration anyway. Dang, so many colors now too. Oy.

Guess I need to put an Alox Farmer on my Amazon Christmas wish list. LOL.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
My wife owns a Trekker, and coupled with the newer style Opinel, the Victorinox is becoming her "go to" slicer. Here's hers...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a treker, and the one that is close to a treker, but without the toothpick, or tweezers, and it has green rubber scales. The green one lives in my BOB.
Although a liner lock isn't my favorite lock, it is better than a slip joint. The flat screw driver also has a lock, I've hurt my finger a couple times in the past from the screwdriver slipping closed on my finger, (Never the knife blade) and I'm happy it's there.

I also appreciate the serrations. Not that I like serrations, but at least the partial serrations are on the tip. The tip is for slashing cuts, like cutting rope, and the non-serrated portion is where push cuts are made, like when whittling. I don't know of anyone else putting the serrations at the end of the blade.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I don't know of anyone else putting the serrations at the end of the blade.
I believe in buying American. However, serrations near the tip are usually a Euro feature. And there's a flaw with the idea.

Most of the wear I see on EDC pocket knives is in the first 1/3 of the blade--unless the user's primary job is cutting things holding the knife with a "paring grip" akin to wire stripping, or peeling an apple.

With the serrations on the tip (and remembering that serrations don't make a knife sharper, the HT of the edge is the same for the entire span of the blade) it's the first area that goes dead flat first.

Since few people know how to properly sharpen serrations, they walk around with a substandard edge.

If you need a knife like this, find a snooty Brit, ask him for his favorite knife supplier and get that model. Use it for specific jobs only. But be a nice guy, give him the name of your dentist...

·
Registered
42 Posts
My wife owns a Trekker, and coupled with the newer style Opinel, the Victorinox is becoming her "go to" slicer. Here's hers...

After seeing pictures of your wife's TREKKER, I realized that for me it beats my Adventurer, so I bought one & really like it. The liner locks work very well & one hand open is a great feature. don't really need the saw, so it should be sharp if I do. THANK YOU FOR SHOWING IT TO ME.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts