1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I've been looking around for a holster for my C.T. Brian Custom I should be getting sometime after the first of the year :D I'm having a hard time making up my mind and would like some suggestions.

I've seen a lot of recommendations for the VM2 and Rafter S OWB. Do any of you guys own both? What would you recommend?

-I won't be wearing everyday, only when I'm away from base for the weekend.
-I would like to start shooting IDPA also, so I don't know how well the VM2 would work out for that.
-I would prefer not to have to wear a jacket or a vest also, just a untucked shirt or sweatshirt.

Considering how much I've already dropped on the gun, I can only buy one set (holster, belt, mag pouch), probably for a while. Its pretty much down to my personal preference, but I don't have any experiance with either one. So what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I would have to say that it is going to be hard to compare because one is IWB and the other is OWB.

I own a couple VMII and have used them for IDPA with no problems. The VMII has a metal band to keep the mouth of the holster open, so no problem reholstering.

An IWB holster is alot easier to conceal for me, and I do it alot with nothing but a sweatshirt, and sometimes with a loose t-shirt, and this is with a Kimber Pro CDP.

As of this writing, I do not own a Rafter holster, so I can not give you any opinion in that area.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I agree with what's posted above. They're hard to compare as one is IWB and one is OWB. I find IWB much better for concealment personally, as you only have to worry about hiding half the gun. I have owned two VM2's and own a Rafter S IWB holster. It's tough to recommend as I really like them alll, but I'll give you my impressions.

VM2: An extremely well made holster that conceals great with the loops offset to each side of the gun. It fits the gun like a glove and the hand boning is excellent and attractive. I nave no negatives for it really other than price and a long wait (8 weeks and approx. $100 from Milt Sparks. You can get them quicker from Lightning Arms (great people to deal with) but then it's even a little more expensive. Bottom line is the VM2's a great holster with a well deserved following.

Rafter S IWB: This is a well made holster as well. It comes with one offset loop to the rear of the gun and one loop that sits on top of the holster. Consequently, it is slightly more bulky in the pants. One feature I love about this holster though is that it has rough side out construction (so the holster grips a little better in the pants and you've got smooth leather against your guns finish) but the leather extension that shields the gun from your skin is smooth leather. The best of both worlds. It's a great holster as well. Where the Rafter S really shines is the value aspect, as these holsters cost roughly half as much as the better known makers and their wait time is only about 2 weeks. You could get BOTH an IWB and an OWB from Rafter S for the price of a VM2. They also have great customer service.

Basically, you can't go wrong with either,but for concealed carry I would say get an IWB holster.

p.s.
Get a good belt!!!!!!! A must for either form of carry. Here Rafter S get's my vote hands down. Nicest belt I have owned from any of the makers and you can't beat $75 for a Shark belt.

·
Premium Member
20,363 Posts
Let me toss one more into the pot...Gary Brommeland's MaxCon-V. It's the thinnest IWB I've ever worn. Very comfortable and secure. It's also considerably less costly too.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Holster

Rafter OWB is excellent quality/price and very comfortable I have a couple and very pleased with. Concealing will be harder as 5" holster bottom is even with top of jeans pocket , Unless you wear untucked shirt that is long enough to cover. In your location almost need both IWB summer and OWB for other seasons.
A good belt is also a necessity for comfort (Rafter has). Good Luck

·
Registered
684 Posts
VM2

I have one and love it. I forget I am wearing my fullsized steel frame 1911. Just as important is a good quality gunbelt, either from Milt or a similar maker. Get 1.5"....they fit most belt loops and the 1.75" belts scream "gun".

So my suggestion would be VM2 for carry. I would also opt for horsehide if you live in a warmer climate. Then, if you want an OWB for competition, there are lots of good used ones for sale all the time on the buying and selling portion of the forum, for about half of their original price.

Lightning Arms is a bit more than Mr. Sparks direct, but they are great folks, and are generally in stock.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope everyone had a great Christmas!! And thank you to everyone that responded to my thread. I think I'm just going to purchase a OWB & IWB from Rafter S. I can afford to go with both from them w/ a belt and mag pouches all at the same time. This is my first time carrying concealed outside of military duty and I think it would give me the best of both worlds.

If I have the money in the future, I'll order a VM2. Until then, I'm confident that Rafter S Gunleather will do me right. Thanks for all the advice.

Here are some photo's of my work in progress from Tim Brian (C.T. Brian Customs) The pics aren't too detailed, I had to resize them to meet the reqs of the forum. If you want detailed pics, let me know and I'll forward them!!

I'll post a range report when the piece is finally finished in late January, early February. Steve, look for my order in the next couple of days...!!!

Thanks and Enjoy!!

Attachments

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have a Milt Sparks VM2 and it's insanely comfortable with a full sized handgun.

The reason I choose to buy Milt Sparks holsters exclusively is simple: their construction is such that I can carry a LARGER handgun for the same period (generally about 12 hours).

If I'm wearing a more "generic" holster like a Galco or DeSantis with the same large handgun, my carry time is reduced to about 7 or 8 hours before my back starts to complain.

If I scale down the handgun weight and size, then I can get away with 12 hours of carry. For example, the DeSantis Cozy Partner allows me to carry any of the Glock regular/mid/small frames easily. I find the DeSantis to be of inferior quality and construction, but it's comfortable. The Sparks holsters just seem to feel better, especially after 12 hours of carry.

I'm sure there are other companies that have similar quality and construction. I'm not going to experiment because this type of holster is expensive...why fix what isn't broken?

You will not regret the cost of the VM2. Your appreciation for it will become clear after using it 12 hours per day for a month. It's that good. My back problems went away after switching to the VM2.

By the way, when you put in your order, Milt Sparks does not charge your card immediately. If there is an 8 week wait, then you have approximately 2 months to save.

However, by all means, buy the other holsters. It's your moral obligation...support the economy! I don't have one holster; just one for carry. The others include paddle holsters for the car and range, pancake holsters that looked nice (now range holsters) and an assortment of other odds and ends.

Good luck...when your back starts screaming, get a Milt Sparks :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts