1911Forum banner

Vote on the best ammo for a 1911 45 cal.

3597 Views 26 Replies 27 Participants Last post by  lev83
I just shot some AMC. I had three duds out of 100 rounds. i don't think I'll be buying AMC again. What do you prefer? Best?
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1,088 Posts
I've shot thousands of rounds made by Winchester (WWB), CCI (that cheap aluminum cased stuff), Federal American Eagle, etc. I haven't had a dud yet. Guess I'm just lucky.

As far as clean vs. dirty, I usually shoot at least 500 rounds when I go to the range and have yet to find an ammo company that leaves my gun clean after 500 rounds.

· Registered
993 Posts
I've used all of the above mentioned ammo except Wolf , and most has worked perfectly , but one gun didn't like CCI and I never tried it again . Since Les Baer , Wilson , and a few custom gunsmiths I'm familiar with recommend Federal American Eagle 230 gr. FMJ for their break in period , and I know Federal Ammo to be extremely consistent , I now stick to it exclusively and buy it by the case from Natchez.Sure you can find softer shooting ammo , but I doubt you can find more reliable stuff . If I were to stake my life on ball ammo that would be what I'd choose . I feel the same about Federal Premium rifle fodder , and shotshells as well . YMMV...Tom

· Registered
121 Posts
The only thing my TRP has seen so far is reloads from a local reloader. He uses 200 grain Hornady XTPs (among other bullets) and charges like $9 for 50 rounds. 200 rounds and they've been 100% reliable.

· Registered
149 Posts
:D When my wallet allows it I would be one to vote for PMC or Black hills....It has always worked well in my 1911's and other fun guns...I also would agree that WWB from Wally world is A-OK also...Tom

· Registered
323 Posts
For plinking fodder, I normally use my own reloads until I need brass again. Then I start picking up the Win White Box or Sellier & Bellot. Both are great plinking ammo. Never had a problem with either. PMC is decent too, but a bit expensive.

I had a bad experience a few years ago with CCI Blazer in 9mm. Out of a 50 round box, I had 4 rounds with the bullet set WAY back into the case. They had to be either squibs with no powder, or would have produced enough pressure to go off like a bomb. Avoided Blazers ever since.

· Registered
217 Posts
I'm with CTI1USNRET on this. Used to purchase S&B in bulk with nary a problem. Now shoot my own reloads. Have also used Winchester and Federal on occasion, but I opt for the lower priced stuff.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.