1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new here and to 1911's. I ordered my first 1911 on black friday, got the RIA tactical in 45 from buds. I know I want to change out the grips but need some opinions regarding color. I like the VZ operator 2's, but not sure which color would look best on the parkerized finish.

So what do you guys think look best between Hyena brown, Tiger stripe and Black/Gray?

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a brand new RIA 10mm and love the looks and feeling of the VZ grips that came with it. I know they are not the most user friendly on a long range session but I like the grip they provide. On to your question, my picks would be black ones, then the hyena brown, finally the tiger one. Of course, the looks of it once mounted on the gun could change the second and third choices for me.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I have 10mm, and VZ grip was the first thing that came off. LOL
I think its way too aggressive. I don't shoot with shooting groves on all the time.

But anyway, if I was to pick from above 3 OP's listed, I'd go with Hyena brown

·
Registered
390 Posts
I had the Hyena brown VZ grips on my 22TCM. Of course, I had to modify the P-14 grips to fit my TCM, which you shouldn't have to do, but here's a pic of mine to give an idea of what it'll look like. I love the look and feel of the VZ G10 grips. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Had a set of the Hyena on a full custom bob-tail Commander size gun. Working with my hands as the owner/operator of a tire shop, the "aggressiveness" of the texture never bothered my hands. Sure is rough on the "love handles" though! :)

Bob

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
There are a lot of folks that have removed the VZ grips from their pistols they ship with the black&silver, you may be able to buy a set from one of them.I like mine, 10mm. sanded down the sharp spots.
hope you enjoy your new pistol.....:rock:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies.

That's a nice 22... I need to look into those.

Mity2, let me know if your interested in selling those grips.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought the Hyena Brown Operator 2s for mine. Love the way it looks. Just ordered a set of Hyena Brown ETC grips for my RIA Tact. Compact.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I have vz grips on all of my 1911s. I do not have the tiger stripe but do have the others. My favorite would be the black/grey.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I like the Black / Grey too

:cool:

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I literally just put a set of black/gray VZ grips on my Ed Brown SF 5 minutes ago. In my opinion, they do not look black/gray in color, or at least on my gun which has a light gray frame. They almost look lite-gray or even green, maybe with black accents. If your gun is black, then I'd think they will look good. However, on my gun they are a little lite in color, in other words, not dark enough.

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
I will say it again...........feel free to send me your unwanted VZ grips!!!!:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the Hyena brown VZ grips on my 22TCM. Of course, I had to modify the P-14 grips to fit my TCM, which you shouldn't have to do, but here's a pic of mine to give an idea of what it'll look like. I love the look and feel of the VZ G10 grips. :)

What did you have to modify for the grips if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
390 Posts
What did you have to modify for the grips if you don't mind me asking?
I don't mind at all. The top screw hole on both sides had to be moved down maybe a 1/16th or more of an inch. If you look closely at the top of the grip screw hole nearest the slide, you can tell, but I think I did a decent job of hiding the work. After moving the hole, I also had to dremel out the countersink for the screw, so the screw would settle all of the way down.

I also had to dremel down the top of the grip on the left side to make room for the safety plunger. There was also some work on the tabs that stretch toward the back strap. They weren't quite in the same place, because the hole was moved a little, and then I had to trim down the sharp points on the tab as well, as they were poking into my hand when gripping the gun.

The left side definitely took the most time. The right side was just a matter of moving the hole and recreating the screw countersink.

Do those descriptions make sense? It really wasn't that difficult, but it did take longer than I had planned--maybe 45 minutes--but that was mostly because I was trying to be REALLY careful not to remove more material than was needed. After doing it once, I'm sure I could do a second set much quicker.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
MR22, you defiantly did a great job! I can't tell anything was done to it even after you explain what you did!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts