1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"W"hiskey "T"ango "F"oxtrot -- is up with ammo (Cabela's, Bass Pro, etc...)

Has anyone ventured out to Cabela's or Bass Pro recently? I was there looking at fishing supplies, treble hooks, etc.. and decided to scan the ammo sections. I couldn't believe my eyes!

Shotgun shells, shotgun shells, shotgun shells... shelf upon shelf of Winchester SuperX 12ga, 20ga, 28ga & 410ga. #7 shot, #9 skeet shot, etc... NO buckshot at all!

Cabela's must have just recently re-stocked the rifle section, as they have .243 .270 .30-06, etc... rifle ammo. The handgun section is all but cleaned out and stripped bare! All I saw at Cabela's were 9 boxes of .38spl semi-wadcutter target rounds. 9mm...GONE. .45 ACP... GONE. :eek:

Bass Pro -- same as Cabela's with the shotgun shells. Except at Bass Pro, the whole entire handgun ammo section was totally stripped bare and totally GONE! :eek:

I asked a clerk at Cabela's who was nearby and he kind of chuckled and said, "The stuff is gone as soon we get it! People order 'bricks' ahead of time and come pick it up!"

It's getting crazy out there! :eek:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Been like this since March. And now it's getting worse. I have what I need, but I still have little "tripwires" on ammoseek and some vendors all over the place because if it's reasonable and I shoot it, I'll buy it, even now. But only if reasonable. Since I'm not hard-up or desperate, I do not nibble on the obvious gougers.

All tripwires have been silent for the past 2 weeks. That's unusual in and of itself.

I think the chinavirus-induced shutdown, wait a couple of months, and then restart at reduced capacity has finally manifested. in other words, what we were buying last month was just what was left in the pipeline, and it's dried up now.

This plannedemic has turned me into an online-only ammo buyer, and by the case, not by the box.

·
Registered
729 Posts

:biglaugh:

Hope you have enough ammo, getting some aint gonna be "cheap".

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am shortest on 556/223, maybe a few hundred 556 and a couple hundred 223 since I just bought my first ar a month ago. A buddy hooked me up with a few mags full to supplement the boxes I was able to scoop up. Fine for now on 9, 45, 38, 357. What really sucks is I hit a few stores here to top off today just because I’ve been buying a box or two after each range trip to keep my stockpile up and LGS around here usually still have stuff on the shelves. First store I hit now sells no ammo at all without a gun purchase. Second only released a box of self defense 9 to me which I took. No practice ammo without a gun sale. Store down the street from me was selling ammo without a gun purchase as of a couple weeks ago but they had no guns for awhile. Seems like as guns are becoming available and ammo stays scarce shops are making the call to let ammo-only customers walk. “Back in stock” trip wires may end up being the only option for certain calibers in some
areas.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like what Old Gray Hare did... I just set myself up on Ammoseek as well and enabled a few "tripwires" to email me when .45 ACP and .308 BTHP ammo is a lot more readily available. Maybe I'm a little "special", ha ha... but I just don't care for that nasty, extremely dirty, Russian or Turkish or whatever, type of ammo that is always available.

·
Premium Member
1,589 Posts
Academy Sports was the same way except they didn't have a lot of shotgun shells. They had shelf upon shelf of skeet just so the shelves wouldn't look bare.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I haven’t verified it, but I’ve heard a local gunsmith is asking $40 a box of 50 9mm ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
I haven’t verified it, but I’ve heard a local gunsmith is asking $40 a box of 50 9mm ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's a special level of Hell reserved for assholes like him.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts

Now you can't POSSIBLY be 6 years older than me, and NOT have gone through the'88 CA McDonald's shooting and import ban panic; the '92 & '94 KLIN - TON I panics; the post 9/11 buying spree; the post-Brady bill sunset buying spree of '04; the $#!+bamanation panics of '08 & '12; the Sandy Hook & Tide Pod Kidz buying panics of '13 & '18, AND the Hiltlery (KLIN - TON II) panic of 2016, and NOT have expected this in an election year, combined with the MEDIA PANDEMONIUM VIRUS, and generalized libtard numbnuttery & riots!!! :hrm:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I remember.... I remember... Back during the Klinton years, I was still on active duty in the USCG (nearing retirement soon), and soon after the 9/11 unspeakable horror, etc... and we can't leave out the firearm industries #1 top salesman of all time -- Obama.

A lot of that mess, I tried to put behind me. I stay focused on what's current that would jeopardize me and my loved ones.

·
Registered
15,572 Posts
For many years I thought I would be spared from this crap because I handload but now you can't find components either. I used to buy cases (5000) Federal primers for $40 and now I see people asking $700 to $800 for a case of them. Capitalism is alive and well.......

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe try Dick's Sporting Goods :barf:
LOL.... For what? Tennis rackets? Running shoes? :barf:

Dick's can (morse code) -.- .. ... ... / -- -.-- / .- ... ... :biglaugh:

·
Administrator
72,460 Posts
I heard from somewhere that the supply of raw materials has been impacted thanks to shutdowns of copper mines and such in third-world countries. I've noticed everything is going up in price, not just ammo. As for the availability, well, none of the ammo suppliers I deal with have ever bothered to set any quantity limits, so there's no chance I'm going to be able to pick up a box or two of ammo if Joe Blow decides to buy up the entire shipment at 7am before it even gets wheeled into the store.

I think a lot of credit cards are being maxed out right now.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think I'm in pretty good shape got a few thousand 45acp same with 9mm and 223 and close to a thousand 38 spl. Have plenty of small rifle& pistol primers. What I am short on is large pistol primers, nobody has any.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I heard from somewhere that the supply of raw materials has been impacted thanks to shutdowns of copper mines and such in third-world countries. I've noticed everything is going up in price, not just ammo. As for the availability, well, none of the ammo suppliers I deal with have ever bothered to set any quantity limits, so there's no chance I'm going to be able to pick up a box or two of ammo if Joe Blow decides to buy up the entire shipment at 7am before it even gets wheeled into the store.

I think a lot of credit cards are being maxed out right now.

Was a time when what happened in the 3rd-world didn't impact us, we had our own copper, our own steel, made our own powder, etc.

I think the real Whisky Tango Foxtrot is simply "what happened to our industry?"

We gotta fix that. We can't be depending on other countries. We really never could, we just *thought* we could. It's biting us, now.

As for buying ammo, it's changed. Like the OP said, you can't just walk into a store and buy a box or two, there's none to be had. The only way right now is to set up product in-stock alerts, be vigilant, and the instant it hits, order it. Last batch of 22 from Midway, i saw the alert and just logged into Midway right from the phone and placed the order right then and there. Didn't even wait to get to the computer, did it all from the phone. And have multiple vendors, if you have four that's not good enough. Some guys seem to specialize in pistol, some in rifle, some in rimfire, rare is the vendor who does it all.

·
Administrator
72,460 Posts
Was a time when what happened in the 3rd-world didn't impact us, we had our own copper, our own steel, made our own powder, etc.

I think the real Whisky Tango Foxtrot is simply "what happened to our industry?"

We gotta fix that. We can't be depending on other countries. We really never could, we just *thought* we could. It's biting us, now.
We are all at fault for that. Can't have cheap $8.99/50 9mm ammo unless the copper and brass is mined where the workers make $1.50 an hour.

·
Super Moderator
13,417 Posts
To the original poster, I got another breaking news for you. Get ready for this one ....

All online ammo dealers are also out of bulk (1000 round case) ammo.

Ooh, here's a bonus ....

Gun stores are out mostly out of guns .. all guns ... AR, AK, multi round shotguns, semi auto centerfire handguns Gone, empty shelves.

Gun stores that do have a few loose 50 round boxes will only sell one box of ammo to someone that buys a gun.

Been that way since March.

1 - 20 of 191 Posts