1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like how W231 meters. I like the availability of it. I am about to buy more of it in quantity. Before I do and begin to set my self in stone so to speak, should I be looking at another powder?

I have two .45acps. I have a Colt Rail and a Springfield XDM. Both shoot nice groups with factory 230 grain RN FMJ. Both punch mostly paper, but the XDM is my hiking / in the middle of nowhere camping carry piece.

I tried Nosler 185 comp HP with the W231 and it shot well or about the same as the factory UMC. Honestly not overwhelmed by the accuracy of the reloads.

I have not made a bullet order yet but planned on Delta Precision at this point with 230 grain RN.

Is W231 a good powder for jacketed and should I be looking at 200 grain instead.

This is something that I hope to use on the new Dillon 550 once it shows up and I begin to run through it's paces, so I prefer to have a good plan before starting.

I am hoping to get my order out this week to Powder Valley (need more powder for the rifles) and prefer to piggyback pistol powder at the same time.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,078 Posts
W231 is arguably the very best powder for a beginning reloader to use for 45acp loads. It meters well, it fills more than half the case at typical charge weights, it's fairly "clean", and it's pretty accurate.

There are experienced members here who I'm sure use W231 for all of their 45acp loads. Nothing wrong with that at all.

But, some reloaders like to try different powders. That day may come for you. If/when it does, we'll have lots of suggestions for you. :)

Any bullet weight will be fine: 185, 200 or 230. Doesn't really make much difference unless you're into competetive action shooting. All 3 bullet weights are fine for the 45acp. I'm very surprised that you say the Nosler 185gr JHP's that you reloaded weren't very accurate. I think of them as a very accurate bullet.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
W231 is arguably the very best powder for a beginning reloader to use for 45acp loads. It meters well, it fills more than half the case at typical charge weights, it's fairly "clean", and it's pretty accurate.

There are experienced members here who I'm sure use W231 for all of their 45acp loads. Nothing wrong with that at all.

But, some reloaders like to try different powders. That day may come for you. If/when it does, we'll have lots of suggestions for you. :)

Any bullet weight will be fine: 185, 200 or 230. Doesn't really make much difference unless you're into competetive action shooting. All 3 bullet weights are fine for the 45acp. I'm very surprised that you say the Nosler 185gr JHP's that you reloaded weren't very accurate. I think of them as a very accurate bullet.
I been loading for competitive service rifle for 20+ years, maybe a average of 20k on most years, so I open for suggestions.

I might of miss worded how I felt about the Noslers. I maintain 2" groups at 25 yards off bench with UMC. Gladly I will admit that the day I tested the Nosler it was windy. But the groups were no better than 2".

I am a rifle shooter by nature, but plan starting 3 gun with wife come summer. So the new Dillon is to keep up with the new demand.

No disrespect intended, but educate me, that is why I asked.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think W231 or its Hodgdon equivalent HP38 is perfect for .45acp. I've used it for everything from 185gr. Missouri Bullet lead "buttons" to 230gr. plated round nose. Meters well, relatively clean, good accuracy.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have been using W231/Hp38 for .45acp for about 10 years now, and like it...but, I have recently tested and switched over to WST.....it runs cleaner that 231, and seams to have about the same accuracy.....WST also meters nicely.....

·
Registered
27,682 Posts
I'm not a powder junkie.

I use 231/HP38 for .45, .40, .38 sp. I buy 2 or 3 8# jugs per year.

It's probably not the BEST powder but it's versatile and will work. Keeps me from having 3 or 4 different powders around.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It would help to know what OAL everyone is using with these loads. I am trying 5.2 grains at OAL of 1.267.
Jacketed or lead?
I like 5.1GR @ 1.260 OAL, nice and light
With what type of bullet?

For delta precision 230gr fmj, I use 4.0gr VV N310 OAL @ 1.60" and it is the cleanest most accurate load out of my guns that I've ever tried.
What are you shooting it out of? How is it with temperature changes?

I have been using W231/Hp38 for .45acp for about 10 years now, and like it...but, I have recently tested and switched over to WST.....it runs cleaner that 231, and seams to have about the same accuracy.....WST also meters nicely.....
I have had heard good things about WST also.
I'm not a powder junkie.

I use 231/HP38 for .45, .40, .38 sp. I buy 2 or 3 8# jugs per year.

It's probably not the BEST powder but it's versatile and will work. Keeps me from having 3 or 4 different powders around.
And there is a lot to be said about that. With me, I only shoot .45acp in pistol, now with rifles that is a whole different story.

·
Registered
405 Posts
It would help to know what OAL everyone is using with these loads. I am trying 5.2 grains at OAL of 1.267.
I just loaded up a starter load with almost the exact same info. 5.2gr. of W231, with 230gr Berry's plated RN, and OAL of 1.265. Had been loading with 6.0 gr of Unique with the same leads and OAL, but found it very dirty--hoping to see some improvement in cleanliness.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
5.2 gr 231 at 1.267 OAL using 230 gr FMJ Precision Delta bullet. I wil chrono this week.
Groups pretty good? Fairly clean?

I just loaded up a starter load with almost the exact same info. 5.2gr. of W231, with 230gr Berry's plated RN, and OAL of 1.265. Had been loading with 6.0 gr of Unique with the same leads and OAL, but found it very dirty--hoping to see some improvement in cleanliness.
So if I am reading this right, the Unique has been dirty?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Groups pretty good? Fairly clean?

So if I am reading this right, the Unique has been dirty?
I expect my gun to get dirty from powder residue during a range session, what I didn't expect while loading Unique was to shoot 50 rounds of reloads and have the gun as dirty as 200 rounds of factory WWB. I found the 6.0gr of Unique was very accurate, and it being the only powder I have used since starting to reload last year, figured I would see how a different powder worked. As I mentioned I have only loaded up a few as a starter load with W231, hoping to get out and try them when it warms up here in Maine.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.