1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to purchase a LB Wadcutter but I can't get over the ugliness of the thick rail on top of the slide. Is it really necesary, and what is its purpose? Looks to me you would feel the extra weight after a long bullseye session.
And yes I'll be shooting SWC exclusively, but wouldn't a Hardball gun or a Premier be just as accurate as the Wad gun with semi wadcutters?

Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
398 Posts
The rail is a Bomar Rib that is pretty standard on a bullseye wadcutter gun. It improves the sight picture, allows for "tuning" of the barrel lockup, and allows quicker recovery for rapid fire stages. You should not fire full power loads with a Bomar Rib as it can loosen and eventually come off.

There are Weaver style scope mounts that use the same hole pattern as the Bomar so you can replace the rib with a red dot scope.

All of the Baers should run just fine with SWC loads. So if you intend to compete in bullseye matches the wadcutter gun is a good choice, but other models are probably better as general use range guns.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hi Jim

I'm still saving the $, but does your company still produce a 1911 with a slide mount instead of the frame mounts? It's not on the website.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Don't know where I would have to go to handle the models in person to make up my mind for myself, but would you recommend a PII, Distinguished Match, or an Ultimate Master?

I really have no idea of the difference between these models.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Well lets see,the p2 is the proverbial jack of all trades. We sell them for defense IDPA, wadcutter shooting, plinking, you name it. The ultimate adds more custom touches like a add-on magwell,serrated top and rear of slide,extended mag release,checkering under the guard, and 3-1\2 lb. pull instead of 4lb. The Distinguished match is a P2 with the aristocrat rear sight made for the PPC game. It's no problem to set any of them up for light wad loads.

Here's what I picked.:biglaugh:

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jim at Les Baer Custom said:
If you like we can set up a PII for you to shoot light SWC loads . Then you would have a PII wad gun
Sorry for a newbie question, but is that something I could do (change the spring, etc.) or is there more involved than that.

I ordered my P-II from John at Proload and I should be seeing it in early January...

Thanks,

·
Registered
359 Posts
A wadgun from us will have a 13lb. recoil spring and a 19lb. main. So as far as that goes yes you could. I would suggest shooting some full power loads before you go and replace the springs.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Jim at Les Baer Custom said:
Well lets see,the p2 is the proverbial jack of all trades. We sell them for defense IDPA, wadcutter shooting, plinking, you name it. The ultimate adds more custom touches like a add-on magwell,serrated top and rear of slide,extended mag release,checkering under the guard, and 3-1\2 lb. pull instead of 4lb. The Distinguished match is a P2 with the aristocrat rear sight made for the PPC game. It's no problem to set any of them up for light wad loads.

Here's what I picked.:biglaugh:
Hey Jim-
How about some close-up photos? :rock:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts