1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While picking up a beautiful Ithaca 1911 A1 at the LGS, I asked them abt a WWII P38 I saw in their catalogue

https://www.lagardere.ch/images/fichiers/catalogue202012.pdf

Turns out they had 4

I picked up the one made by Walther for $ 985.-

The German trio with the 1936 Mauser made Luger and the 1944 FN GP35

Then I remembered I also have a 1939 Walther PPK, I think it fits in the group

So I had to shoot them at a little themed range day

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
That Luger is damn sexy. My first time seeing one as a kid sold me on the beauty. Thank you for sharing. Nice grab in the Walter!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Nice find. I have never tried a P38, the closest I have tried is the P5. I only have 3 magazines for it and, unlike the P38, finding magazines for the P5 is damned close to impossible here in the USA. ma

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
Nice Walther. My P.38 is a Mauser, as is my P.08. It shoots really nice, but damn that DA trigger pull is so heavy! By contrast the SA pull is pretty decent. It's also interesting how the sights on the P.38 were so much better than those on most other WW2-era handguns. They're pretty decent sights even by today's standards.

·
Premium Member
817 Posts
Very very nice! Wondering how expensive it is to import any goodies..
To import one item it's going to be a staggering cost and the amount of paperwork required will take days to fill out.

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
A few years ago there was a bunch of P.38s that were imported into the USA from Russia. Nearly all were wartime captures, and they had the import marks very discreetly placed on the bottom lip of the magwell. Some people have carefully filed those off in order to make the pistol appear non-import marked, so watch out for that whenever you look for a WW2 P.38 to buy.

·
Registered
192 Posts
A few years ago there was a bunch of P.38s that were imported into the USA from Russia. Nearly all were wartime captures, and they had the import marks very discreetly placed on the bottom lip of the magwell. Some people have carefully filed those off in order to make the pistol appear non-import marked, so watch out for that whenever you look for a WW2 P.38 to buy.
Thanks good to know.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nice collection, glad I bought all mine when they cost a lot less.:)

ETA: On the right side of the P-38 that is a scratch and not a crack in the slide? Some were known to develop a crack there.

·
Registered
846 Posts
That's a really nice looking Walther CLASSIC12. Seems to be a "real deal" of a price for one that nice. Do you know when it was produced?

Thanks for posting the link to the catalog. Great fun poking around in there.

Always thought I wanted a Walther P 38. A Spreewerk with a November of 1943 production date is what I have, seen here in the 9mm tribe. I enjoy shooting a P 38.

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
That's a really nice looking Walther CLASSIC12. Seems to be a "real deal" of a price for one that nice. Do you know when it was produced?
AC is the code for Walter, while 44 is the year of production.

My Mauser is a BYF 44. A third manufacturer was Spreewerk, code CYQ. I believe the codes did change some years, but these were the most common.

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Registered
51 Posts
The only manufacturers for the P-38 was Walther-AC, Mauser-byf and Spreewerk cyq and the broken die marking of cvq. Spreewerk had the worst quality control.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice collection, glad I bought all mine when they cost a lot less.:)

ETA: On the right side of the P-38 that is a scratch and not a crack in the slide? Some were known to develop a crack there.
Just a scratch

1 - 16 of 16 Posts