1911Forum banner

Walther P99

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Russ45 
#1 ·
Has anyone had experience with the Walther P99?

My wife and I recently went looking for a semi-auto for her and after looking at every 9mm out there, she picked the Walther. She could operate the slide release,trigger, etc much easier than any other.

Please give me your opinions before I buy.

And- No, I could not convince her to get a .45 semi-auto. I tried, but she wants to start off with a smaller caliber and work her way up.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Zane

#2 ·
Finally, something I can comment on.

In my opinion it is one of the best built, accurate, reliable 9MMs out there. But I am biased. So here are some facts.

Reliability:
700+ rounds without a hitch. This includes a couple of empty cases during a surprise ball and dummy drill.

Accurate:
It makes me look good. A zone hits on an IPSC silhouette inside 25 yrds are a cakewalk(even using the heavy DA first shot

Confidence:
Our shooting club will occasionally have us shoot a series of drills from the big schools to see how we are progressing. First time out with the Walther I shot 295 out of 300.

It is now my carry gun stoked with Rem 124gr Golden Sabers.

Congratulate your wife on her good taste and take her to the range to enjoy her new pistol.

------------------
The United States Constitution (C)1791 - All rights reserved.

#3 ·
Jeez, here you are on a 1911 site, asking if you can get your wife something besides a 1911
? P99-- good choice. If that's what she wants, get it. Her perception of what's good for her will be pretty important in the first step, and that's not to say it necessarily has to be a step towards a 1911. Did you guys look at the Kahrs? My wife loves the MK9 I gave her for graduation (OK wise guys, from the University, not highschool!), and she does well with the K9, and with a 1911 too for that matter. But what your wife is comfy with, I would say, is important now-- even if it is maybe based on the wrong stuff, like she likes the way it looks. Let her have it and get started.

#4 ·
Zane1911,
You mentioned your wife wants to START shooting with a small caliber and you did not mention if your wife manipulated the P99 while SHOOTING it.

Regardless of her ultimate firearm choice, recommend you rent/borrow varies types in the caliber of your wife's choice so as she can both manipulate AND fire them at the range. There is a difference between administative handling of a firearm at a gunshop and actually manipulating one while firing it. It's all subjective...what works and feels good for one person may not to another.

#5 ·
I had (and sold) a Walther P99. It was a gunshop romance. Mechanically it was fine, but even with the smallest backstrap the long trigger reach on the 1st shot required me to shift my grip. I hadn't realized that until I actually started shooting the gun.

OTOH, the Steyr M9 is the only polymer I found where the ergonomics really works for a small-handed shooter. Short trigger reach, excellent pointability, good trigger (better than Walther or Glock), multiple safeties, and excellent mechanical reliability. The low bore access makes recoil milder than any 9mm I've ever shot. They also can be had for less than $400 NIB.

BTW, I also owned a Kahr E9. Nice gun but it had a heavy DA pull and the short stroke made the gun very whippy and almost uncomfortable to shoot.

#6 ·
Thanks for the responses guys!

We bought the P99 today. My wife liked the color of the Military version (Olive Drab and Black) so we got it.

I have only casually looked at the P99 before because I am a 1911 nut. I must tell you that after shooting it, I am more than impressed with the P99.

After we purchased the gun, we took it to the gun shops' indoor range for her to have some fun. BTW- she has shot a Ruger .357, a Glock 23, my Springfield TRP 1911, and a Beretta 92F. We put 10" x 10" paper targets half way down the range at about 15 yards.
Nine out of her first ten shots where in the bullseye area. Six of the bullseye area shots were in a 1.5 inch group. She has minimal shooting experience and was shooting great! It really got her excited (easy boys) and was a great boost to her confidence. I took the next clip and my first shot was in the bullseye- dead center! I should have just walked away after that and everyone at the range would have thought I was awesome. I continued shooting and kept the rest of the shots within 1.5 inches from the first.

The recoil was very manageable and the trigger pull was very smooth (not a 1911 feel, but great for a polymer). The grip is outstanding and fit my hand perfectly.

When we got home and took it apart, I was a little disappointed in the bendable guide rod but other than that it looks good. It strips just like a Glock.

That is my two cents. My opinion of the Walter P99 has forever changed. The best part is that my wife has found a gun that she enjoys and I am hoping that she will start asking me if we can go shooting instead of me always asking her.

Cheers,

Zane

#8 ·
Congrats to you and Mrs. Zane! And welcome to the club.

Always happy to welcome a new shooter.

If you want her hooked for good, get her a good holster and take her to an IDPA match in your area. The match level accuracy is only half the story. The P99 will handle action pistol drills with the same confidence inspiring flare.

Happy shootin'

------------------
The United States Constitution (C)1791 - All rights reserved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.