1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a "1911" type .45. The Para-Ord seems like what I am looking for however from the reading I have been doing I am not sure I will be able to to trust the Para LDA if I really need it. I have to carry a Glock on duty but I have always wanted a 1911 type. I am not sure about the "cocked and locked" mode. I can not spend huge dollars to but the top of the line. Thanx for any advice. Huck

·
Registered
853 Posts
Well Huck, I carry an LDA on duty and haven't had any reliability problems. Over 20 other officers on my agency are now packing LDA's and they haven't had any problems either. So if you are not comfortable with cocked and locked I think you will be fine with the LDA as far as reliability is concerned.

If you can get past the cocked and locked concern I would say that all you need to do is look around and handle a variety of 1911's and you will certainly find one that you like that fits your budget.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Huck:

Realize that a fully loaded ParaOrdnance with 14 + 1 rounds of .45 ACP is HEAVY. I have a ParaOrdnance P14-45 (not the LDA), but carry my Kimbers instead. My P14 was one of the earlier ones and I have had some quality issues with it. But perhaps ParaOrdnance's quality has improved since them.

M1911

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
That's kind of unfair to chastise the Para .45 for being heavy when loaded up to 14 + 1 maximum capacity. Just dump out half the rounds and you have the same round count (and weight) as a single-stack 1911. The Para gives the option of carrying more rounds, not the requirement.

As to the reliability: my 1640 lDA has about 2k rounds through it with no malfunctions other than feed snags that were fixed by polishing the ramp and barrel throat (typical new gun stuff).

On another point the double-stack Paras get dinged for: grip width. Personally, I find the grip to be perfectly fitted to a man's hand (my single-stacks are too narrow to grip snugly). Women would likely not be able to use them, but I'll wager you will like the grip.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Originally posted by M1911:
Huck:

Realize that a fully loaded ParaOrdnance with 14 + 1 rounds of .45 ACP is HEAVY. I have a ParaOrdnance P14-45 (not the LDA), but carry my Kimbers instead. My P14 was one of the earlier ones and I have had some quality issues with it. But perhaps ParaOrdnance's quality has improved since them.

M1911
Although that is true, there is also the 7.45 LDA, which is the same size as a regular 1911. Para has also come out with an Officers size LDA model but I am not clear as to whether it's on the market yet.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Does your department have any guidelines in regards to off duty carry? If not, I'd take a serious look at a lightweight 38 special revolver as my first off duty gun. Why? Because more than likely you'll carry it more than any other gun you ever own in your career (besides your duty gun). Once I had that covered I'd look for a serious off duty gun. First choice would be the XSE Colt lightweight Commander. It more than fulfills any requirement of a duty or off duty weapon. If single action is a problem, and you want the 1911 style but are more comfortable with the DA, the I'd look closely at the 7.45LDA. Haven't tried one yet, but plan to soon based on posts like from these guys.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I dont have any experience with the 7.45 but those that have them seem to be pleased.

For an "off duty" type 1911 with excellent concealment I would look at the Colt Defender. Based on my experience, and the comments from other Defender users these are top notch guns. The are available as a light weight, with stainless slide and barrel. Accuracy is great and so far the only real negatives comments is about the sights. While I still prefer the traditional style sights, which mine has, you can opt for Novak, Heinie, etc. All and all the Defender is one fine gun, and should work well for you as an off duty option.

------------------
No man is above the law and no man is below it. Nor do we ask any mans permission when we require him to obey it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have carried various 1911's, mainly Colts, for almost twenty years in Condition One off duty with no problems. Since my Sig 229 puked the big one two weeks ago, my department allowed me to carry my D&L Sports Custom Caspian 1911 on duty, as I shot a higher qualification score with it than I did the Sig. Condition One is as big a problem as you want to make it. I consider it a non-issue.

------------------

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great Replies. My feeling is the Ruger P97 is a great piece for duty carry. I recently bought a Kimber Ultra Carry and fell in love with it. But I agree with the fellow who said that off duty you will probably carry a .38 snubby a whole lot of the time. That certainly was my experience....STAY SAFE

·
Registered
246 Posts
Originally posted by bountyhunter:
That's kind of unfair to chastise the Para .45 for being heavy when loaded up to 14 + 1 maximum capacity. Just dump out half the rounds and you have the same round count (and weight) as a single-stack 1911. The Para gives the option of carrying more rounds, not the requirement.

As to the reliability: my 1640 lDA has about 2k rounds through it with no malfunctions other than feed snags that were fixed by polishing the ramp and barrel throat (typical new gun stuff).

On another point the double-stack Paras get dinged for: grip width. Personally, I find the grip to be perfectly fitted to a man's hand (my single-stacks are too narrow to grip snugly). Women would likely not be able to use them, but I'll wager you will like the grip.
I have no problem with the grip width, although I prefer single stack. I do have a BIG problem packing the weight all day, every day. If you have to carry it under those conditions, weight does matter. Also, I presume you were joking about dumping half the rounds out to make weight, and won't make the obvious response. The other point I'd like to make is that I would never bet my life on PO mags, and that's reason enough not to carry it on duty.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Originally posted by Huck:
<snip> I am not sure I will be able to to trust the Para LDA if I really need it. I have to carry a Glock on duty but I have always wanted a 1911 type. I am not sure about the "cocked and locked" mode. I can not spend huge dollars to but the top of the line. Thanx for any advice. Huck
For me the LDA is still an unknown quantity but then it took me 10 years to accept the Glock - so, I'm a little slow
Several people on the list, as you can see, have them and like them. One of our deputies has one and with a little polish on the feedway, it now works pretty good - well OK, really good! - but has less than 500 rounds through it so that doesn't tell us much.

As for condition one... you are packing a "half-cocked and unlocked" gun with a 5.5 lb trigger pull (unless it has a NY trigger). And I can assure you that if it were not for the firing pin safety (which you can get in a 1911 if you insist) the Glock will indeed fire from that half cock position (trust me on this
). A weapon with two safties (3 if it has the F.P. safety) should be a reasuring step up. Just food for thought.

On another note, purchasing a 1911 "on the cheap" is probably not a good idea. The design is an excellent one but he execution varies greatly with the manufacturer. You can buy several 1911s for under $400 but I don't think I would trust my life to them. In our neck of the woods a used Kimber or Colt 1991 goes for about $550... both are excellent weapons (though I think the Kimber is really a $1200 gun in disguise and a super deal). Paras run in the same neighborhood if you like them as well (I regard them and Springfield Armory as quality weapons that need just a bit of attention).

If not a quality 1911 then I, personally, would stick with the Glock. But that is just me and each person has to work out his own salvation.

Best of luck and best regards,
Jim Higginbotham

·
Registered
116 Posts
My first LDA was a piece of junk that couldn't go 200rds w/o breaking. Barrel bushing broke twice sending the giude rod cap flying down range. Trigger dosen't appear to be durable. Very loose fit tolerance.

My second LDA has never jammed or broke. Go figure. Still looser than a can of rocks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Kimber all the way

I have a Colt series 80 that was modified by Wilson Combat, but nothing beats my two Kimbers. My full size is an Eclipse II and also carry a Compact. In my opinion, Kimber is the best out there. The Compact is a plain jane version and I consistently qualify at 248 and never have experienced any type of jams. The Eclipse is the ultimate! I have never seen a 1911 any tighter than this gun. With this one, I consistently qualify at 250. I use Wilson Combat mags for carry. Check them out!

·
Registered
164 Posts
In my experience, ParaOrdnance is poorly made. Their frames and slides are poorly cast and contain plenty of voids. This is evident when cutting or metalwork on the frame. Bottom line, I wouldn't use one as a serious duty weapon. YMMV.

I use a customized Kimber on duty, but the only original parts left on it are the slide and frame. I have heard from several gunsmiths (including MD Labs) that Kimber's quality in slide and frame materials have suffered. They assert that the steel behaves suspiciously like cast steel. MD Labs recently had a catastrophic frame failure in their shop possibly due to a large void inside the frame. However, so far I have had nothing but excellent experiences with Kimbers, though their new firing pin block parts have turned me away from the new stuff.

Colt looks like they are changing for the better. All reports of the new rollmark 1991A1 models indicate quality, fit, and reliability are reminiscent of Colt of old. I am having a full house gun built on this platform and will give a full report.

Springfields are also good choices. Some cosmetics are ugly, and they are still a tad sharp from the factory. I also don't like MIM parts. Many dislike the blocky frontstrap and dustcover. However, their slide and frame material is still top notch. Lack of Series 80/firing pin block parts is appealing.

Valtro is also one to keep an eye on. Reports are promising, though I have not had any firsthand looks.

My two cents,

Tim

·
Registered
95 Posts
Huck-

I have two Para-Ordnance LDAs, a 7.45 and a C6.45 that I just got last week. Both have proved to be outstanding in all respects. I've had the 7.45 for over a year now and it is outstandingly accurate, 100% reliable with good magazines and has a fantastic trigger. I've had the C6 for less than a week but have put a couple hundred rounds through it (see short range report in the para section). This pistol is also exceptionally accurate and was 100% reliable with all types of jacketed ammo. Despite it's dimunitive size is easily controlled. It points well and will I think prove to be an excellent deep carry piece.

Both of the above listed guns were well finished, the C6 being exceptionally so.

I have read several posts concerning metal quality issues. An acquaintance of mine had to perform a serial number restoration on a stainless P14. In light of the period of time it took to achieve the desired effect he remarked that Para must use good steel.

I have also had dealings with Para concerning work to my 7.45 (an issue that was in no way caused by Para). They were very helpful and responsive and I had my gun back before a week had elapsed.

I have great faith in my Para pistols and would not hesitate to trust either with my life (at least the 7.45-haven't had the C6 long enough to qualify with it).

Good luck with your decision.

Tom C

·
Registered
164 Posts
tcurtis,

Your post is heartening. I like the Para Ordnance LDA in the single stack configuration as it puts the 1911 back into the mainstream LE community. I don't see a functional need for a double action gun, but if that is what it takes to put the platform back on the belts of patrolmen, then by God I'll accept it.

Tim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts