1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I correct in seeing that the bayonet lug is not an easy removal without damaging the part? This is a 1943 Saginaw. It looks like it is stamped on there permanently.

Or can I actually remove the lug, and replace it with a non lug part.

This is motivated by CA compliance. I just ordered some 10 round mags for my M1 Carbine (as I didn’t get any when I bought it).

However, it turns into an evil assault rifle the moment I do have a removable magazine. Because it will have TWO attributes of an assault rifle.
1) removable magazine
2) Bayonet lug.

The only other idea I have is to coat the lug in wax, then coat it with fiberglass. That way I can remove it at a later time, and protect the lug, and effectively deactivate it.

·
Administrator
78,600 Posts
WW2-era M1 Carbines didn't even have the bayonet lug. Just find an older style barrel band without the lug, either an original or a modern repro. Keep your current band for in case you either move out of state or some miracle happens and they relax the laws there.

·
Premium Member
17,027 Posts
You have to remove the front sight to change or remove the band. I have done this without a sight-puller. First, apply a penetrant like 'Kroil' or 'PB Blaster' to the sight. You drive out the cross pin of the sight, then, using a piece of wood as an interface, drive the sight forward off the barrel. Sometimes you have to heat the sight ring with a torch, then quickly drive it. Keep the impact point above the 'key' under the sight. That just falls out after the sight is off. Installation is reverse of above.
Just cut the bayonet lug 'snout' off the front of the band. Clean up sharp edges with a round file and touch up bright steel with cold blue. Reinstall band on the barrel, then the sight.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
WW2-era M1 Carbines didn't even have the bayonet lug. Just find an older style barrel band without the lug, either an original or a modern repro. Keep your current band for in case you either move out of state or some miracle happens and they relax the laws there.
That is slightly incorrect. Late WW2 Inlands and Winchesters did indeed have bayonet lugs. They even had adjustable sights. The older type 1 or type 2 with no lug are very expensive.

Also no need to cut of the lug from the barrel band. After removing the barrel band, just buy a repo type 2 barrel band and slip in on. That is far easier that cutting down the type 3 as mention. The repos are dirt cheap on eBay.

·
Administrator
78,600 Posts
I probably should have said most WW2-era M1 Carbines didn't even have the bayonet lug, but I didn't want to go into details. IIRC some of the M1 Carbines with the bayonet lug and adjustable sights started showing up during the Okinawa campaign, but for the war ended before they could be issued in large numbers.

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
I was faced with the same issue. Replacing the barrel band is the easiest way to be compliant, and you can keep the one that's on there if you ever move. You can get a newly manufactured part from Auto-Ordinance for $15, but there are originals floating around too.

Robert

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
More about removing the front sight.

Some sights are extremely tight and may need a Ordnance sight puller tool, or you need to use caution to prevent deforming the sight as you drive it off with a hard wood block.
Don't drive it only on the top side, also drive on the band under the barrel, This will help prevent deforming the sight and possibly making it even tighter on the barrel.

Under the sight is a machine key in a slot on the barrel. You need to drive or pull the sight without disturbing the key.
Once the sight is off, you remove the key.
Then pull the bayonet and band assembly off.

To reassemble, replace the key in the slot on the barrel and stake the slot in front and behind the key to retain the key.
Reinstall the front sight and it's pin. The pin goes in from either side and is lightly staked on the ends to retain it.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Am I correct in seeing that the bayonet lug is not an easy removal without damaging the part? This is a 1943 Saginaw. It looks like it is stamped on there permanently.

Or can I actually remove the lug, and replace it with a non lug part.

This is motivated by CA compliance. I just ordered some 10 round mags for my M1 Carbine (as I didn’t get any when I bought it).

However, it turns into an evil assault rifle the moment I do have a removable magazine. Because it will have TWO attributes of an assault rifle.
1) removable magazine
2) Bayonet lug.

The only other idea I have is to coat the lug in wax, then coat it with fiberglass. That way I can remove it at a later time, and protect the lug, and effectively deactivate it.
You may want to visit the Calguns site for more CA specific gun information. A bayonet lug is not a triggering feature for the CA AW laws. On your M1 Carbine a triggering feature would be a pistol grip or a flash hider or a fixed mag with capacity greater than 10 - the bayonet lug is fine.

Here are the specifics on the Roborti Roos 1989 CA AW law from CA Penal Code section 12276.1 listing what triggers AW by configuration:

(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.

(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

The bayonet lug is fine.

If you happen to have carbine magazines of greater than 10 round capacity, so long as they were legally owned before 2001, you can use them on your M1 Carbine. Same goes for guns such as the M1A, Mini 14, Benelli MR1 and anything else with no pistol grip, no flash hider.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A bayonet lug is not a triggering feature for the CA AW laws............................ The bayonet lug is fine.......................
Thank you sir. You are correct. As of 2008
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12275.php

12276.1. (a)

I also did a search on the word Bayonet, and Lug, and not one thing is there in that section.

Never mind everybody. I'm putting the Dremil down. :p

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
I'm not seeing it, at least it is NOT in the section with everything else in regards to evil rifles.

Awesome. Some day I'll get me an M14 as well.
Agreed. I suspect the lady from the Attorney General's (not DOJ, brain fart) just assumed. It's been a couple of years.

You might as well get a Mini-14 and round out the set once you've got the M14 (M1A).

Robert

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.