1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Why in the world do you want to reload .223?!?

(I do, I'm just trying to find a plausible reason for doing it.)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because I want to shoot my rifle a lot
I want to be in control of my ammo supply and get the best out of my rifle. Using a dillon 1050 the ammo piles up in short order.

Keith

·
Registered
323 Posts
Well. Ok. But you can buy premium factory ammo in 1000 round case lots for less than you can reload. Particularly when you factor in the pain and suffering of working your brass over properly between firings.

The 1050 is fast, but you'll have to trim cases for two days and lube cases for a day ahead of time to keep it busy for 2-3 hours. This assumes you're starting with brass that won't have to have the primer pockets reamed. Then you'll have to wipe all the dern lube off of your finished rounds.

Of course, you could buy the electric case trimmer ($183.90) and a super swage ($77.95) to speed things up. However, even buying lube, brass, bullets, powder and primers in bulk, you'll have a hard time beating $189.00/1000 delivered. You can probably do better than that if you shop around.

I don't want to discourage you, but with the current availability and pricing on 223 it's hard to justify the work and expense of reloading. As I said, I do it myself. But I'm at the point that I'm going to get my components to come out as even as possible (bullets, powder, brass) and I'm going to start buying factory ammo.

For example:
http://www.ammoman.com/

[This message has been edited by WalterMitty (edited 10-26-2001).]

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 1050 swages primer pockets. 1000 sized, trimmed and cleaned cases and 1000 55 gr. fmj cost 89.95. So I can custom load for my rifle for the same cost of russian ammo and well below most other ammo.

WalterMitty your idea does have merit and I appreciate your advice.

Keith

1 - 5 of 5 Posts