1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went on a search for a 10mm hangun to add to my collection(sigs/berettas/remingtons). I love the power of my .357 sigs and kinda like the "oddball" rounds. Thought i'd get a 1911 since i didn't like my other choices(glock). Picked up a SA 1911 Ultra Compact(tac sites, hogue grips...). E-mailed SA to find out that I'd have to change everything(slide, barrel, mags...). I originally thought i'd just get a barsto and have it fitted. Is there still a chance with this gun? I like the size and feel and haven't even had a chance to shoot it yet. Must I trade it off for a SA compact of Loaded? Your help is appreciated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My question is exactly what I want and what you pointed out. The smallest SA in a boss of a cartridge(ie. 10mm). Since rounds are going to be small, 6, I might as well have something that snorts those 6 rounds. I suppose I could just keep it and use hot .45 rounds but i'll never see the energy of the 10mm

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought 1911's were a strong solid built gun? I'm sure my hand will last but the gun won't? I can shoot my .357sig (P229) all day and not get tired. Those two calibers are pretty close besides bullet weight. And that's why I want a 10mm. Something as fast and strong as my .357sig but with a little more weight behind it. Even though Glocks tend to KB in a .40 I have never heard of a 10mm kbing. Which leads me to beleive it's not how strong the gun is, it's just how well the cartridge is supported by the barrel.

I know I won't be happy with a Glock, 20 or 29. Their ugly and don't feel good in my hand. Can't stand that safety tigger either. I'm not impressed with the accuracy of it.

I'll have to contact the fore-mentioned shops/ppl and see what can be done in a compact 45. I may just have to settle for a 400 Corbon if I can even get that. Barsto has nothing for me. Don't know of any others that do custom barrels. I guess at the very least I can compromise and find a hot .45acp that I like. I'll keep searching.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by CastleBravo:
You can't convert any 1911 to 10mm except for .40 S&W, at least not without tearing it apart and completely re-building the SOB. Your options are pretty much:

1. Get a Delta Elite. For $650-850 you will get a basic 1911 chambered in 10mm.

2. Buy a Para-Ordinance P16-40 or other 1911 in .40S&W and convert it to 10mm with a barrel and recoil spring swap.

3. Pay Les Baer or SVI about $1,700 to make you one.

4. Pay a custom gunsmith to make exactly what you want. $2000 at least, probably more like $3000+.

What about the barrels Barsto, and others, advertises for 1911's as semi-drop in and the must be fitted ones? I've had experience before with Barsto and most of the semi-dropins need no smithing(but those were not 1911's). Why would they advertise a semi-drop in when you have to change everthing as you have stated?
http://www.barsto.com/Colt.html

The for mentioned custom shops won't do anything under a 5" barrel because of the spring. i'll try the one suggested to day though.

[This message has been edited by dugedug (edited 06-12-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.