1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I've owned 1911's in the past but I'm wanting to buy a quality gun that I will be able to pass onto my son when he's old enough. I'm looking at either the Sti DVC limited or the Sig X5 black and white. Both are SA only, I'm just unsure about a STI, never seen one in person. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Tough choice. The Black and White is a spectacular looking gun, and everything I know about the X-5's are all positive.

While I have not seen the DVC in person (do have one on order), STI makes a great firearm, and would not expect anything less on this one.

Don't envy your decision.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I now own both but have not shot the Xfive yet. The Xfive is super sexy and heavy. I just bought it about 2 weeks ago and got lucky to find it brand new in the box here in the states. I honestly think I got the last one available with the Gov ban on these custom shop Sig guns from Germany. All the other signs are made here in the U.S. At least that's what I was told. Good luck if that's the route you choose I honestly hope you could find one.
I actually called Sig in Texas and they confirmed this and said in a year or so they hope to make these in a U.S. Version. Here is a pic of mine
http://i.imgur.com/vsbGHxE.jpg

·
Registered
386 Posts
Only shot my DVC 9mm twice but I'm in love!!! STI got it right on this one IMO. It's so easy to shoot and the trigger is beautiful!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. I think I'm going to place my order on Friday for the Sti Limited. I love the look of the X5 Black and White, but it's almost too pretty to shoot and mess up. Plus I love the feel of the 1911 style pistols.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate the reply. I have looked for issues with STI's and really can't come up with anything. Do you have specific examples? I want to make a educated choice.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I appreciate the reply. I have looked for issues with STI's and really can't come up with anything. Do you have specific examples? I want to make a educated choice.
Go over to Brian Enos forum. There are many people who are starting to use their DVC's in competition who seem to be pretty darn pleased.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have shot both within the last year. The STI in any flavor leaves the Sig far behind. The STI is used in the 2011 type (no interest to me) by a majority of competition shooters especially in the Central states. The trigger is what convinced me on the STI. I don't want a "Purdy" 1911 I want a war piece. STI especially the Duty One is my choice.

·
Registered
845 Posts
sti any day of the week over a sig. if you happen to have an issue with a sti, they will send you a label and take care of it. sig? good luck.....

·
Registered
833 Posts
Just picked up two STI 1911s in 10MM. (the Nitro 10 and a Tactical SS 5.0 10MM) the quality of these pistols is really fantastic. Tight without being ridiculous. these are STIs #5 & #6 for me. Currently working on #7 and #8. And I intend to keep them all! BTW all are 1911s.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got my DVC limited in June. Check for a loose front sight (reported by two local shooters including me) and loose grip screws (three local shooters reported). It appears that in the process of catching up on the flood of orders, a few easily fixed items were missed. Called STI and they offered to send me a new sight or to send it back to them to install a new one. That being said, I love my DVC and wouldn't hesitate to pick up another one.

I've shot the sig X5 Lightweight back to back with my DVC and Eagle. Although the Sig is a very nice and accurate pistol, I prefer the 2011 platform.

·
Banned
1,976 Posts
sti any day of the week over a sig. if you happen to have an issue with a sti, they will send you a label and take care of it. sig? good luck.....
STI does have great CS almost all the time.

Never heard much in the way of complaints about Sig CS, though. The few folks I personally know who have needed it have been happy. Return label emailed for free shipping. FedEx out, then FedEx back in pretty short order.

·
Banned
1,976 Posts
I am not trying to change your choice in STI. They have had some issues with fitment, recoil system (don't know which system is in the pistol you have chosen), slide, miscellaneous. But I am confident if you do have a problem, they will fix it.

Heck, some boards have folks complaining loudly about DW (their current galling problem) and even WC.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Had several x5 and 6s over the years and ended up selling them all to fund my new addiction- the sti platform. never looked back. the dvc ltd is in a class all on its own.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I own an STI Limited in 40. Great pistol. The X5's are very nice gun also. Tough choice but I preferred the STI for my intended purpose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have owned the X5 Black and White and the X6 PPC all in 9mm, they are fine guns but have sold them and purchased a DVC Limited 9mm. A few comments:
-> Sigs - the slide release is a little further back for me and easier to drop the slide with reloads
-> Sigs - magazines with extended bases plates are pricey and hard to find
-> Sigs - extractor can cause you some ejection issues
-> Sigs - more internal crevices to clean
-> Sigs - no fiber front sights out of the box
-> STI - just about everything you'd want out of the box
-> STI - slide release too recessed and forward but very manageable
-> STI - magazines are readily available and reasonably priced
-> STI - lot easier to clean
-> STI - for my shooting it's better balanced and not top heavy like the Sig
-> STI - some mags need to be tuned to function properly
-> STI - if extractor needs tuning it's a simple process

Plan on purchasing more STI guns... love the quality, shooting characteristics and tightness.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts