1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this fits here, but unsure where else to post it:

I'm soon to be joining the ccw ranks and I've been trying to troubleshoot wardrobe problems ahead of time.

I'll primarily be using my SA Champion in a Milt Sparks Watch Six iwb. The holster, belt and mag pouches should be in any day now

So the question is: Are knit polo shirts generally stiff enough material that they won't "cling" to the weapon, or would a button up oxford-type shirt offer better coverage? Seems like the warm weather and sweat tend to make the polos more apt to cling during normal wear, but I haven't tried it yet with the weapon in place.

Cool weather doesn't much concern me now. I'll deal with that a little later.

Thanks for any advice,

Mac

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
It will depend on your frame as well as the weight & pattern of the shirt. You'll probably just have to give it a try and see if it works.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by blinder:
It will depend on your frame as well as the weight & pattern of the shirt. You'll probably just have to give it a try and see if it works.
What he said... It will also depend on the shirt size...

For me, a Medium generally works fine, buut to cover well, I would wear a large. It allows a bit more blousing, more loose fitting.

Your best bets would be darker colors, and patterns rather than solids... Helps hide, and produce shadows to break up any outlines...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I carry my full size Kimber in a VM II and use a polo shirt to cover it with. So far no clinging that I have observed. I usually wear the shirt tucked in, then blouse it out. An XL size shirt does the job for me, though a bigger one would not hurt. I do wear an undershirt though, to protect my skin from being rubbed by the grips and to help absorb any sweat that may occur so that the polo shirt does not stick to my body.

jaydee does have a good point about the darker colors.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I carry a full size 1911 in a belt slide holster with just a t shirt over it. I was in a gun shop the other day with it, and a new CCW was looking for a carry gun. My friend showed him a Kimber and he said it was too big I said it all dpends and lifted my shirt to display my weapon. The guys jaw dropped to the floor. He brought the Kimber by the way.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I try to find the thickest fabric shirts I can find, then I try to find one with a dark color or color scheme that won't show the gun's profile very well. While thickness helps, it is not as critical as color. I have seen people disguise a big gun under a dark colored t-shirt. Personally, I like the thick shirts because aside from covering well, they last longer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I live in a warm coastal area, and a few months ago acquired a Charles Daly Compact model. I carry in a Bianchi IWB holster, and have found that knit polo shirts, unless you wear them a couple of sizes too big, tend to print too much. Fortunately, I've found that the guauyabera type shirts work well. Additionally, Cabela's Outdoor offers "Safari" and "Camp" type shirts that are also specifically tailored to be worn untucked. Good luck

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I know it'll take some experimenting to find what works, but you've given me some good ideas on what to watch out for.

Have to get use to carrying the cell phone on a pocket instead of on the belt... wouldn't be good to conceal a gun and get "made" because of the phone's antenna (or to answer a call and flash a .45).

Mac

·
Registered
610 Posts
MacLean,
I usually carry a 3" 686 in Don Hume OT Paddle. I wear my cell phlne directly in front of the holster to help camoflauge it. Since I weat the holster towards slightly forward of my rear pants pocket, if I do get a call, the gun is not visible while answering the phone. Half the time, my wife doesn't even know that I am carrying.

Steve

------------------
"Not having thought what should have been thought, not having said what should have been said, not doing what should have been done, I beg thee forgive me, O Father." paraphrase from the 13th Warrior

·
Registered
150 Posts
I carry a Kimber SS Ultra Carry in a VM2. I generally find that I have to wear knit and T-shirts a size bigger than button-up cotton shirts, and then they do still print sometimes depending on the design. I prefer guayabera-type shirts in general as the best concealers in hot weather, with medium-weight cotton shirts w/button fronts and square bottoms second. As has already been said, my wife doesn't even realize I'm carrying most of the time. She does buy me shirts w/carry in mind, though
Color and pattern do matter, with white being the worst printer in bright sunlight.

I sometimes wear a v-neck t-shirt underneath to put cloth between the pistol butt and my side, but it is often too hot here for that. I've become mostly used to the grips and mag holder against my skin.

You already have the key part covered--a good quality belt and holster. Makes all the difference in the world--been there, done that. I just recieved my Watch Six for my full-sized Kimber, and that will be an interesting test.

Regards,
TBob

------------------
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
- George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<>> TBob, i'd like to hear a report on the watch six, as i also have a ss uc. i was thinking of getting the watch six, with the belt loops. raspy

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Well I have found that a Hockey Jersey works GREAT. The replicas are big enough plus they are not all the heavy. Granted they are not for you dressing up but for everyday running around the work great. Don't know if you a Predators or a hockey fan but it maybe something to think of

------------------
The defensive firearm is a special-purpose piece of safety rescue equipment, designed to extricate a person . . . from the immediate threat of savagely violent crime. It is like the fire extinguisher. . . . Neither piece of equipment will do you any good if you don't know how to use it or are not psychologically prepared to face danger with that gear in your trained hands in a terror situation.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by Lupey:
Well I have found that a Hockey Jersey works GREAT. The replicas are big enough plus they are not all the heavy. Granted they are not for you dressing up but for everyday running around the work great. Don't know if you a Predators or a hockey fan but it maybe something to think of

Well, I AM from Nashville! Got a chance to watch Gretzky play when they took on the Preds two years ago - the man is amazing.

Mac

[This message has been edited by Maclean3 (edited 08-11-2001).]

·
Registered
150 Posts
raspy,

Well...The good news is that it conceals my full-sized Kimber very well. Holds it secure and stable on a good belt, and has a very thin profile. The extra weight of the larger pistol is carried well over the widely-spaced loops. The workmanship is superb, as usual from Milt Sparks.

But...I think the VM2 is a much better holster. The horsehide of the WS doesn't mold as well to the pistol and is VERY stiff. It is also incredibly tight, seemingly by design. Perhaps the less precise molding of the horsehide is compensated with pure grip. I'm sure it will lighten up a bit with wear, but I can barely get the pistol out of it (on or off the belt). Didn't have that problem w/the VM2. The wideness below the belt of the WS provides extra stability, but that combined with the stiffness wears into my hip pretty hard. I can only wear it for an hour or so w/o getting pretty sore. This may not be a problem with an UC since the UC doesn't protrude very far below the belt line.

Perhaps I'm spoiled by the VM2, but I think I'd be happier if the WS was available in leather. I understand that the horsehide supposedly holds its shape better due to its inherent stiffness, but I'm not sure that's a good trade against comfort. OTOH, I've heard other folks love their WS. I loved my VM2 right out of the box. This one will take a little while to get used to.

That said, I am happy w/the quality and workmanship, as well as its ability to conceal a full sized M1911. The design is well thought out.

I know it's significantly more money, but I'd personally recommend the leather VM2 over the WS, primarily for comfort and function w/the pistol. My one caveat is that the larger pistol I'm using in it may introduce some of the problems mentioned above that won't appear w/a smaller pistol like the UC.

Regards,
TBob

------------------

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<><>> TBob, thanks for the report. I think I'll look at the VM-2. Do you suggest it in horsehide, or leather? I have a belt slide in horsehide, and it is very thin compared to my leather holsters. I am how should I say it, fleshy around the middle. I would think for IWB, thinner would be better. Of course, what do I know, I've got a drawer full of holsters now, and one on the way from Mark Waldon. I think I'll go over to Milt Sparks website and drool all over my keyboard. I've just got to have another holster. Raspy

·
Registered
150 Posts
raspy,

I chose the leather version. It is slightly thicker, but molds better to the pistol and is more comfortable. The difference in thickness really isn't all that significant. It only ammounts to a few fractions of an inch. The WS does sit slightly lower on the belt, about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch.

I played with the WS some more last night. Still have to use 2 hands to draw the pistol out or even to reholster it completely. It is getting better and I'll probably have it to an acceptable level by next week. I noticed something about the difference between the WS and the VM2. When holstering in the VM2, I can feel a defininte "click" or "snap" as the pistol reaches home. The WS holds the pistol by pure (and tight) friction. Not that the latter is bad, certainly not. Just a difference that makes the VM2 very smooth in operation by comparison.

My comments about the difference in comfort in my previous post seems indeed to be related to the size of the pistol and not the difference in the holsters or their material. Horsehide takes longer to wear in and mold to your body than leather due to its stiffness, but I think will reach a similar level of comfort in the long run.

Overall, I'll back down a notch from my previous post and rate the two holsters more closely, but I still like the VM2 better by a significant amount.

As you know, holsters and fit are very individual. I'm pretty thin these days (just lost 20 lbs), but still have a small spare tire. I'm a huge fan of Milt Sparks' quality craftsmanship, though there are other good companies out there. If you're interested, they have an article on their site on the differences between leather and horsehide.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll be happy with the outcome.

Regards,
TBob

------------------

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<><>> TBob, thanks for the reply. Now I have to rethink my decsion. I like the idea of the ws sitting lower on the belt. I am not to concerned about reholstering. I have a ss-2 for a UC, this will be for a compact. I think I'll look at the ws again.
Thank you sir. Raspy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts