1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the booklet that came with my new 1911 10mm.

It states, "The use of reloaded, "remanufactured", (sic) hand-loaded, or other non-standard ammunition voids all warranties."

So, should I wait the five years of warranty time before I think of using reloads? Or .....? I shot 150 rounds on Saturday, and it was great, but at $105 per hour, one has to think. It's all relative, I guess, my boat travels at $1.50 per mile for gas.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the warranty statement?

dtody

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
I think its standard warranty language and protects the maker from obvious user screw-ups--squib and double loads, etc. The Wilson Owners Manual has a listing of "recommended" handloads, but I think if they received a pistol for warranty work and it had a bulged barrel they would decline coverage.

Guess it depends on the situation. Anyone who shoots a "lot" is going to use reloads. Personally, I don't worry about it, not that it might not be a problem in the future.

ETA: A little more thought on the subject suggest to me that the language may be there to provide the manufacturer with some firewall protection in the event of a personal injury or worse, resulting from an ammo-induced kaboom. Discovery would surely show if the shooter was using reloads and while the mfg probably wouldn't be completely exonerated, he would be given credit for any warnings against reloads he had in his owners literature.

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
Glocks says the same thing, but, unless the bad ammo caused the problem, their warranty is not really affected. Recently had a cracked slide replaced on a G17 that I'd shot about 10k reloads through. They never even questioned the kind of ammo I was using.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I think its good to be aware of the mfg's warranty.

Personally, I don't worry too much about it / I know my reloads are 100% on target for my intended load and I load in a mid-range for the published tables. In general, I know my reloads are cleaner / and way more accurate than most any ammo I can buy.

However, if I screwed up / and double charged a round or had a squib round - and it damaged a gun / I wouldn't expect a warranty to cover it from Wilson or anyone else. A 10mm is a hot, high pressure round / if you choose to reload it, you need to go into it with your eyes open....and if you're not confident your reloads are 100% (on target for powder, bullet depth, etc ) then I'd go over your reloading procedures until you are 100% sure.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
I have had warranty work done on guns whose warranty contained similar language concerning reloads. They did not give me any grief about having shot reloads through the gun because the problems I was experiencing occured with new and reloaded ammo.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Who's gonna' know?...unless you tell 'em.
Friend a mine sent his Beretta back to their MD factory due to a cracked slide, due to his having put a double dose a powder in his reloads by accident, a fact he did NOT disclose to Beretta. When he got his weapon back fixed by the way, the note inside stated that the use of handloads were not covered under warranty and that was in pink highlighter, along with the powder type he used. We can only sermise that they actually tested the powder residue.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
When he got his weapon back fixed by the way, the note inside stated that the use of handloads were not covered under warranty and that was in pink highlighter, along with the powder type he used. We can only sermise that they actually tested the powder residue.
O.K. Live and learn for me. :eek:

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
Friend a mine sent his Beretta back to their MD factory due to a cracked slide, due to his having put a double dose a powder in his reloads by accident, a fact he did NOT disclose to Beretta. When he got his weapon back fixed by the way, the note inside stated that the use of handloads were not covered under warranty and that was in pink highlighter, along with the powder type he used. We can only sermise that they actually tested the powder residue.
Pretty hard to crack a slide with a double-charge, without also messing up the barrel. What about the barrel? Oh, yeah, I speak from experience! ;)

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
LOL, the thing that got me, was they highlighted that reloads voided the warranty, but they replaced the frame anyway.
I'm sure it's just a goof, but was it the frame or slide?
:confused:
Kur

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I'm sure it's just a goof, but was it the frame or slide?
:confused:
Kur

If I'm remembering correctly, the frame was cracked near the slide release and their was damage to the bbl I'm just not sure what kind. It's been a while. I was sure I'd had pictures of it in my photobucket but I don't.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts