1911Forum banner

Warrior ambi-safety issue

1114 Views 9 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Omen
Howdy,

I bought a NIB warrior and have put around 200rnds through it. Overall I like it quite a bit and the finish cleans up very easily. I haven't worn it in a holster so I'm not sure about the wear abilities.

Anyway, there is something weird with the ambi-safety. The left/normal side clicks on and off really well, no problems. The right side, OTOH, only clicks on with a very serious effort. And I can't click it off at all from the right side. It pushes down but won't click off. There is also significant play in right side safety also, like 1/4" or more.

Any ideas on what's going on here?
Would kimber pay for me to send this back since this is clearly an issue?

Thanks...

Howard
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,122 Posts
My ambi safety on my Tactical Pro broke on me after 300 rounds. Similar symptoms you described (very loose on right side, left side fine). It broke in the middle where the two pieces connect to each other. My dealer ordered another one from Kimber and replaced it for me. They were also able to locate a tiny piece of the right side of the safety that actualy broke off that was inside the frame.

· Registered
751 Posts
Sounds like the right side is broken and you need to take it apart and inspect it to be sure. Either way you need to contact Kimber. The cheaper way is to have them send you a replacement safety once you verify it's broken. The other choice is to send the gun back for repair which will usually cost you shipping to them. I'd go the first route verify then request the part.

RC

· Registered
81 Posts
Howard,
I had a similar problem with my Tactical Ultra's right-side ambi safety lever, although I don't think it was quite as bad as yours.
On mine, the left side worked great. It was nice and crisp going on and off. It felt solid. The right side lever, however, was not so good. The right side lever (the one you would press if you were holding the pistol in your left hand) would feel like it 'clicked' down into the "FIRE" position when in reality it was not quite down all the way and so you had to continue to press it down further. It was like you felt 2 'clicks' when deactiving the right side thumb safety. After the first 'click' the safety lever was still partially up - down enough to allow the trigger to be pulled and hammer to drop yet still up enough to interfere with the slide. It wasn't until you felt the second 'click' down that you knew the safety was down all the way and the gun was ok to fire.

I'd call Kimber. For me, they sent out a new safety lever (the original one was also bent inwards too much and needed replacement regardless of the problem mentioned above). It is better now, probably a combination of the new lever and breaking it in. Kimber seems to stand behind their products well. They might just mail you out a new right-side lever and hopefully it will just drop in nicely and fix your problem. Let us know how it goes.

· Registered
536 Posts
This thread title just jumped out at me.

I've been noticing the last few trips to the range, that my Desert Warrior's ambi has been acting squirrely. I'm a lefty, and I've been noticing there seems to be two "stages" to the right side of the ambi on my Kimber. You flick it downward, and it almost, but not quite, fully disengages. Press down harder, from an angle closer to vertical, and it will disengage. There's definitely some play in the right side safety as well. I think I'm going to disassemble it to look at the actual part and see what the problem is. What should I do to fix this problem?

· Registered
751 Posts
Wes Janson said:
This thread title just jumped out at me.

I've been noticing the last few trips to the range, that my Desert Warrior's ambi has been acting squirrely. I'm a lefty, and I've been noticing there seems to be two "stages" to the right side of the ambi on my Kimber. You flick it downward, and it almost, but not quite, fully disengages. Press down harder, from an angle closer to vertical, and it will disengage. There's definitely some play in the right side safety as well. I think I'm going to disassemble it to look at the actual part and see what the problem is. What should I do to fix this problem?
Same thing Wes, after inspecting the safety to determine if it is in fact either real loose or possibly broken, request a replacement from Kimber.

RC

· Registered
18 Posts
I just investigated this on my own Warrior last night and found that I have the same issue. It seems the right-side safety will occasionally disengage only mid-way and require extra effort to fully disengage.

Damn, and things were going so well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.