1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

A friend just bought this gun, has not even fired it yet. I suspect the slide stop is MIM, but I'm sure Kimber will send a replacement. Not knocking MIM, if they break, it's usually early in their lifetime.

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
Yup, MIM.

On purchasing any Kimber I usually replace the
1)Slide stop
2)Fpin stop
3)Thumb safety
4)Mag Catch

These are generally the parts that break, IMO, although I have seen a broken beavertail.

The other small parts are usually fine. The hammers and sears usually clean up fine also and the extractors on the series-1 models have always been decent enough.

·
Super Moderator
13,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Precision Gunworks said:
Yeah , but you also broke my rubber anvil when you were stippling feed ramps!
Is that why you lock your doors, turn out the lights and send out the attack cat when you see me coming up your drive way?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well, I guess that's one way to avoid an 'idiot' mark :eek: . Could get expensive though.

Same thing happened to my Gold Match thumb safety after a couple hundred rounds

Look at it as an early opportunity to have John start the customizing process :). .

·
Registered
85 Posts
What does it cost to replace all this parts that you mentioned and why would I buy a $1200.00 gun and immediatly replace parts that might cost a few hundred more and some that requier a gunsmith to fit them. :rolleyes:

It is almost like marrying an ugly girl that I am not satisfied with her looks and abilities and sending her for cosmetic surgery immedietly, instead why not buy a custom gun built for you to begin with. :)

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Ike said:
...and why would I buy a $1200.00 gun and immediatly replace parts that might cost a few hundred more and some that requier a gunsmith to fit them. :rolleyes:

Because good marketing works. Because no matter how many people stand up and say, "this isn't right", there are just as many people that stand up and say, "Kimbers rule". Because many people don't seem to realize that $1000 worth of 1911 really isn't much. Its just the way that it goes.;)

Be well!

·
Registered
735 Posts
dubb-1 said:
Because good marketing works. Because no matter how many people stand up and say, "this isn't right", there are just as many people that stand up and say, "Kimbers rule". Because many people don't seem to realize that $1000 worth of 1911 really isn't much. Its just the way that it goes.;)

Yep! :)

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
dubb-1 said:

Be well!
Since I've only had Ed Brown Hardcore and Wilson Bulletproof parts break, should we stand up and say "this isn't right" for those also?

It's not only that good marketing works (it does), it's also the fact that there are a few hundred thousand Kimbers out there that haven't had a MIM part break. Bad MIM parts happen just like bad other parts.

·
Super Moderator
13,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mike benedict said:
If you were not so cheap Richard you would just call Brownells and buy a new one.

Mike
Not my gun dude. Wouldn't buy one of those anyway. :biglaugh:

·
Super Moderator
13,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ike said:
What does it cost to replace all this parts that you mentioned and why would I buy a $1200.00 gun and immediatly replace parts that might cost a few hundred more and some that requier a gunsmith to fit them. :rolleyes:

It is almost like marrying an ugly girl that I am not satisfied with her looks and abilities and sending her for cosmetic surgery immedietly, instead why not buy a custom gun built for you to begin with. :)
Why would one buy a $1200 production gun in the first place. :) Actually I heard that they're closer to $1k in the local stores.

As for marrying an ugly girl then send her to get cosmetic surgery, dude, you haven't seen the rich guys lining up to buy their wives plastic total do-over. :mummy:

·
Super Moderator
13,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Was told that Kimber is Fedex-ing him a new slide stop.
When I broke the front sight on the 36th. round, Kimber sent me another one by Fedex also. Their customer service is quick.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Kruzr said:
Since I've only had Ed Brown Hardcore and Wilson Bulletproof parts break, should we stand up and say "this isn't right" for those also?
Or you should stand up and say, "How do I keep breaking my guns?". :biglaugh: ;) Seriously though, stuff happens. Parts break. A friend, and customer of mine owns a foundry that does injection molding for a huge spectrum of applications, one of which is the HUMVEE .50 mount. I have toured the plant, done my research, and picked the brains. I can tell you that it is alot easier to screw up MIM, than it is to screw up a typical barstock part. In addition, I have been a supervisor for over a decade. The result is my distrust for MIM in firearms.

Be well!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ricky T the rich dudes that are paying for plastic surgery are the ones that married them when they were young and beautiful and after heavy use they send them to get plastic surgery, for two reasons one is that they do not cheat on their wifes and still want to be able to make love to them because looks are more important then anything else :rolleyes: and two is because they do cheat on their wifes and they want to keep the old lady happy so they spend the big bucks on them to shut them up and maybe if they look good again they hope that they can go back to the wife and stop cheating before they get caught. :biglaugh:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.