1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I am a big fan of Armslist, the good deals I have gotten far outweigh the nonsense of dealing with all that comes with the Internet. That being said, I had arranged to pick up an 8 lb keg of 231 this morning for $180. Listing said brand new/sealed. I arrive and the very apologetic seller lets me know he checked this morning to find that there was no seal. He offered internet info stating Winchester 8 pounders are not sealed. He wanted to give me $10 off and 500 primers for the mix-up. The powder looked just fine, but I declined the purchase out of fear of contamination, not that it might be short. He still gave me the 500 primers free.

What would you have done? I've got hp-38 on hand so I am not desperate, but this was going to get me set for a while. Open powder makes me, my fingers, and face very nervous.

·
Registered
913 Posts
i bought 4 pounds of power pistol from Midway, it came unsealed I didnt like it but i kept it seems to be fine chrono's about right.
best/picker

·
Super Moderator
14,842 Posts
IMO, it depends. Is the seller a reputable person? Did he have a place of business, or was he selling off the back of his pick-up? How had the powder been stored? What was the likelihood of contamination, either intended or unintended? Did he have other kegs that were unsealed? On your keg, did it appear the seal was broken, or did it appear there never was a seal?

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Been seeing a lot of powder coming thru unsealed from both Alliant and the various St. Marks brands. $10 off and 500 primers to take it. Hell yes. At least you got the primers. PS, any more I'm just as if not more likely to trust a guy "selling off the back of his pick-up" than most gun shops which is a pretty sad commentary for gun shops.

·
Registered
913 Posts
IMO, it depends. Is the seller a reputable person? Did he have a place of business, or was he selling off the back of his pick-up? How had the powder been stored? What was the likelihood of contamination, either intended or unintended? Did he have other kegs that were unsealed? On your keg, did it appear the seal was broken, or did it appear there never was a seal?
Thats exactly why I kept it and loaded some very light till I was satisfied.
Best/picker

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These were all unknowns. I had never met the person before. He said it was bought from a friend who had a store that went out of business. No other kegs available. I couldn't tell if it ever had been sealed; could've gone both ways. I'm glad to get some confirmation at least that powder is showing up unsealed. I may have been too safe in letting this one go, but 8 lbs is quite a few handgun rounds to "wonder about."

I once bought 8 1 lb cans of some powder or another, one was opened and it was an all or nothing deal $20/lb. I took it and immediately listed the open can for sale at a discount fully disclosing it was opened, used, and sold to me by an unknown person. I **** you not, a man missing two fingers bought it from me within an hour of it posting and his exact words were "what's the worst that can happen?" Uh...ok. :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got 8lbs of WSF from Powder Valley around 6 months ago that as not sealed.
I read this elsewhere too. I would feel much better about it coming from an actual company versus Internet sale. I still don't know if I could buy it privately knowing it may have been unsealed from the factory. Not that I'm one for rules, but doesn't it seem ridiculous that something so potentially dangerous if contaminated is packaged so willy nilly? There seems to be no problem sealing up milk jugs, motor oil, shampoo...

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Not buying something you "just don't feel right about" is a very wise decision. COULD it have been all right? Yes, maybe, might not have been. A responsible person should go with their gut feelings. Did you pass up the last 8 pound jug of W231 on the planet, no! Did you possibly pass up a great deal, maybe and maybe not. Don't second guess your gut feelings.

If you just didn't feel you had enough information, about the powder or about the seller to make a responsible sound choice, you should have passed it up. Don't let anyone cast doubts on what YOUR gut is telling you. Right or wrong you have to make the best choice based upon the information you have and what your gut tells you.

IMO you made the right choice at this time. You only have to please your self not anyone else or members of this forum.

Grumpy

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
With most of the powder I have ordered lately, the "seal" sticks in the lid when you unscrew it for the first time. Really no external seal on a lot of powders now.

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Twice I have passed on 4 # cans of powder. I still have all my fingers and toes and haven't destroyed a firearm. I got over it years ago!

I did accept a 4# can of Herco that was given to me. A all three showed similar signs of careless storage. The Herco proved to be degraded to the point it barely went bang. Shot just dribbled out the barrel!

Listen to your inner voice and be safe,

·
Registered
379 Posts
I bought some Accurate Arms 2230C at the last gun show I worked...last weekend in Palm City. It still had the seal, but not intact. My boss knows the guy and he said if there was a problem he would refund us. 8 lbs for $120. Stuff was from 2005. Called AA and they told me it was a surplus canister powder..hence the 'C'...and to use 2460 data. Which is great because I love 2460 in my 223 loads!

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
I just went downstairs and opened a 4# jug of Win 231 I bought a few months ago.
it was sealed

I personally don't think you did anything wrong.
matter of fact, I'd of done the same

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
7,745 Posts
Personal Opinion is that you always "Honor The Threat" and "Trust Gut Hunches".

Every time I've ignored that, I wound up with trouble.

I think passing on purchasing powder you're not sure of is a smart move.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the replies, I feel a whole lot better about letting that lode go. I'm thinking of giving CFE pistol a go instead. I'm glad I still got the 500 primers, that is pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Lug Nutz, your judgment matches mine. There is no 'right or wrong'. Just your own judgment.

I wouldn't even answer an ad like that. Sealed or unsealed. Got too much invested to take a chance. WWWAAAAYYYY too much invested.

Like Rod said, the risks diminish if you know the person, etc etc. But an unproven powder buy is always out of line for me. I have bought powders from dealers who pointed out that the seal was broken, but in those cases I had a dealer to go thump with my remaining good hand if anything bad happened.

[Reminds me of a warning I read on the side of a laser pointer. "Caution. Do not look directly into the laser with your remaining eye."]

For the man's honesty, I wouldn't even take the 500 primers. But no big deal. There is no 'right or wrong' when it's a matter of judgment.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
I agree, no right or wrong. But not buying falls on the more conservative/safety side. I think the fact that the seller offered 500 free primers for the inconvenience would have given me some assurance. I am familiar with 231 so, upon inspection, if I felt that I was familiar enough with it that I was confident of what was in the jug, and no funky odors ... I probably would have bought it. But again, I see no wrong here. Erring on the side of caution is probably more right in that you cant be "wrong". You just don't end up with the powder.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts