1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1911-A1 that I bought new in 1987 or so. Can't remember what it was called then, but after reading the sticky, it has features of both the Mil Spec and the WWII GI and is exactly like neither.

From the original Mil Spec, it has: NM ser#, no Brazil markings visable, slanted slide serrations, rounded front strap, crossed cannons logo right side of slide behind the Springfield Armory rollmark and is dark gray/black parked.

From the WWII Mil Spec it has, the high ejection port, parked bbl, no chamber indicator and the sear and hammer pins are domed.

On the left slide, the 1911-A1 rollmark seems to be smaller than on either of the newer ones.

On the right side of the frame it is marked Springfield Armory, Geneseo Il USA

Ser # is NM861xx.

I got this from a dealer/gunsmith that must have read my mind when he put it together, because it was exactly what I was looking for in a carry gun.

Ramped and throated
Trigger smoothed and lightened to ~4.5/5Lbs
Kings long 3 holed trigger installed
Kings extended ejector
Kings #207 hi grip beavertail and enhanced hammer to match
Kings extended thumb safety (narrow), stock slide release
King-Tappan sights
S&A checkered flat MSH Magwell

The only things I added was a King's 2 piece FLGR (removed the front part for carry), and a nice set of double diamond grips to match the S&A magwell.

He did his work well, ran great out of the box and has continued to do so for the last 20 years. Even better than some of my Colts.

The only problem I ever had with it was with Wilson 8rnd mags. Sold those to a buddy who's 1911 liked them ok, went to Wolff 7rnd with the flat follower and dimple. Runs as close to 100% as you're going to get.

Got a digi cam for Christmas, and as soon as I figure it out I'll get some pics up.

So, what WERE these things called 20 yrs ago?

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
428 Posts
I am not sure but I have one from 91, ser. no. NM110XXX, that sounds just like your's except mine is stock with the exception of a 3 hole trigger from Cylinder & Slide and a polished feed ramp and barrel throat. Like yours, mine runs flawlessly using CMC power mags. I love this gun and plan on keeping it for life. The box is marked 90's edition but that is a little later than yours. Mine also has factory three dot sites.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Springfield referred to your pistol as the 1911-A1 Standard pistol.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Springfield referred to your pistol as the 1911-A1 Standard pistol.
Thanks!

Wonder why they didn't keep it like that? It was very much like the DCM Ithaca surplus 1911A1 that was stolen some years before.

Thanks again!

Rob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts